I gots me a new toy!!!!!!!

germerikan

Finally after about a year of waiting......taaa daaaa

I gots me a new RX-V1800 Amp from Yammihaaaa. Boy I did not know what I was missing using my old Reciever. Unpacked, hooked everything up and first did the YPAO measurements. Everything was easy and could be understood by a small child (which was lucky for me). Did some tweaking and adjusting and then on to serious listening to see if it was a good buy. First tune: Sweet child in time on LP...ahhh what happeded to my back wall??? Everything was well balanced and clear, to me it was a change like day to night. Next test: DVD, The DVD player is connected over composite bieng upscaled to the HDMI connection with sound going through PCM. I was not expecting much but I must say the upscaling to 1080i is working wonderfully!!! Colors are better and the textures just look briliant. The wife does not like that to much because she says the actors look like normal people with big pores and skin problems. [:P] I still can´t play DTS and the other fancy schmancy formats due to my DVD player but will probably be changing this also in the near future. There is a Blu-Ray player with my name on it waiting for me, when the finances are there I will be getting it (or should I buy the HD-DVD) ooops thats another thread!!!

All in all I am a very happy camper! With the old reciever I could only go to about -45 or so before it was to loud. With the new one I can go to -30 or so befoe the wife says " Don´t forget we do have neibors!!" but this is so clear it would be no problem turning it up more!!! I am having some problems with the surround sound so I will have to RTFM and see what I am doing wrong. Could be that the movies I have been watching do not have much info coming through the rear channels, oh well we will see.

Here is a link for those interested in the specs.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=558291&CTID=5000300&ATRID=1020&DETYP=ATTRIBUTE

signing out with [Y][H]

Ran

Hope you ae enjoying your Yamaha but I do think you could have done better, a lot better. Yamaha products are still mass produced Japanese boxes, apparently soon to be available at Target and Walmart. Nothing wrong in your deal, I think separates are certainly the way to go and it's a start. Look at Rotel; Cinenova Grande's, Sunfire, even Outlaw which would be comparative in price to your Yamaha but would beat the spec's off of it.

Good luck!

Hope you ae enjoying your Yamaha but I do think you could have done better, a lot better. Yamaha products are still mass produced Japanese boxes, apparently soon to be available at Target and Walmart. Nothing wrong in your deal, I think separates are certainly the way to go and it's a start. Look at Rotel; Cinenova Grande's, Sunfire, even Outlaw which would be comparative in price to your Yamaha but would beat the spec's off of it.

Good luck!

Congrats on the new toy, don't let getech bring you down. He basically sells audio equipment and unless you buy from him, he trys to bum you out and tells you, "that you brought some toy".

Hope you ae enjoying your Yamaha but I do think you could have done better, a lot better.

=> Actually I was waiting that you would come along and say something negative about the yamaha.

Yamaha products are still mass produced Japanese boxes, apparently soon to be available at Target and Walmart.

=> Are you saying that Rotel, Sunfire or "even" Oulaw are not mass produced??

Nothing wrong in your deal, I think separates are certainly the way to go and it's a start.

=> I don´t have seperates so this line was a waste of typing.

Look at Rotel; Cinenova Grande's, Sunfire, even Outlaw which would be comparative in price to your Yamaha but would beat the spec's off of it.

Good luck!

I don´t need any luck but thanks, and I will not be looking for anything else for a while now because I am very happy with my new (When in your eyes quoted from another post "Yamaha recievers are toylike...bla bla bla") Yamaha AV.

So gestring.. have a coke and a smile and shut the .... up.

Ran

Congrats on the new toy, don't let getech bring you down. He basically sells audio equipment and unless you buy from him, he trys to bum you out and tells you, "that you brought some toy".

Thanks Macho, he cant bring me down!!!

I lurk on this forum just about every day just dont say much. At the start of this audio endevor he also pitched in his 0.02 and said the Yammi was toylike. But to each his own.

Good luck!

What a d**k.

I never understood the bashing of people by others on a new purchase THEY LOVE??

Sorry "Getech" but that was out of line..

Glad you like it, Germerikan, which is the most important thing.

One of my purchases of a dream car, for me, was met with a past neighbor that said.. "Well, that looks ok, but you should of bought the XYZ one.." (Now he could not afford either one or really appreciate anything in life... One of those guys that is constantly negative about what others had...) Which is what saved me from his comments. The best thing was his girlfriend LOVED my car... hehehehehe His loss....I guess

Hope you ae enjoying your Yamaha but I do think you could have done better, a lot better.  Yamaha products are still mass produced Japanese boxes, apparently soon to be available at Target and Walmart.  Nothing wrong in your deal, I think separates are certainly the way to go and it's a start.  Look at Rotel; Cinenova Grande's, Sunfire, even Outlaw which would be comparative in price to your Yamaha but would beat the spec's off of it.

Good luck!

if you are giving free gifts, put me on the list......I only have an Onkyo TX-DS989 and an Onkyo TX-NR1000.

All I can do is give "free" advice my friend. I hate the Yammies of the world. This in my humble opinion but someone that has been in the a/v business for 15+ years. Look at some of the wonderful companies out there to choose from...i.e. Outlaw for their performance and price ratio; same goes for SVS Sound...just excellent subs for the $.

Shop before you buy, try it before you buy as well!

Cheers!

Getech, can you really not see that you are being a jerk? The guy just spent a lot of money on a new receiver and you have the nerve to rip on it. You are basing your "advice" strictly on brand name. You probably have this "opinion" based on something somebody told you 15 years ago and have never bothered to form an opinion of your own. You obviously have never actually listened to this receiver, because you didn't even know what it was. Your advice is free because that's all it's worth.

...not that it's any of my business.[:P]

Bottom line is: if it sound good to you then *** it, it is good.

Thank you it does sound good to me. Better than everything I have had in 10+ years. You can speak your mind when one asks you but other than that keep your snide remarks to yourself...please....thanks......nuff said!

Thanks to everyone for the congrats. Still trying to figure some of the things out, the handbook helps but trial and error is more my speed. I am new to this fancy newfangled surround stuff, and my learing curve is more a circle so it could take a while to get everything how I want it (if it is how it should be that could be another story). Everything sounds great in 2 ch., good imaging and soundstage but in surround is something else. All internal tests are measuring good but when a movie is playing (Transporter 1 or 2) I dont feel the surround channels are as present as they should be. It could be my DVD so I will be studying the books (and websight) and seeing where the problem lies.

Ran

RE:

Percieved low output on surrounds.... Depending on the DVD, the mixing has everything to do with how the information is presented.... some movies overuse the surrounds, while others may use the surrounds only a few times during a movie.

I have found this particularily annoying, and like any medium we are at the mercy of whoever is mixing the tracks. There are great movies with a lot of information in the surrounds ( Pearl Harbour in DTS ), and others with minimal use.

To see what the rear channels are actually contributing, try some music in multichannel mode and listen to it at your listening position. I have found that that seems to work for me.

I prefer the rear channels down a touch compared to the main channels, but that is me. You may prefer more. There is no real hard and fast rule, I use the test tones and a meter to get close and then add or subtract to taste.

I went to a good friend with over 30 years experience in the business, (head tech at a well established and respected stereo shop). He recommended (for the money I was willing to spend) a Yamaha RX-V2600. Why the Yamaha over other quality brands? Performance, Service and Quality!

• Moderators

For what I was willing to spend I picked Yamaha also, if I were going to spend 2 or 3 times as much it would have been a different story.

As far as the sound from the rear speakers I would guess like posted already the mix has much to do with it.

Have you tried to set all the channels with a db meter, doing that would have the sound set correctly and if a certain movie does not have much sound from the rear channels it would have to be the mix.