Bose 901

nomad02rider

No offense intended, Herr Fritz. I am sure they sound good to you (I never debate that sort of thing) and I suspect they would sound good to me as well in your space.

However, I think our last, long, discussion boiled down to:

1. Bose is the antithesis of PWK's 12 card.

2. While possible to do with EQ what PWK and others do with cabinets and drivers to some extent, the results are variable and very space-dependent.

Kind regards, and peace,
Dave

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a pair of their Nautilus 801's in my main system. They are great speakers. Why are you guys so down on these?

I'm not down on them at all....I have a set of series VI that sound great in my home office. My home office is 9X11 in size with a large roll top desk and a small equipment rack in them. The only speakers that sound any good in the office is the 901's. Mainly because I can sit them on each side of the top of my roll top desk and let the top half of the room seet the sound stage.

For large ventues, I would go with 802's elevated about 8ft off the floor along with some bass bins.

Uh, yea...

It was a joke. B&W makes Nautilus 801's, not Bose.

He was referring to Bose 802's, which as I said in my previous post - is Bose's "pro" version of the 901.

Posted Image

Mallete: Yes, as technology has evolved, so have the standards.

Speakerfritz: I might recommend some bookshelf reference series from Klipsch... smaller than the 901s, MUCH fuller sound.

This is about the 901 - the world's most overrated speaker, but Amy Unger, I hope you take some notice of this rather long winded posting:

I remember when I first moved back east to go to College, I grew up in Carlsbad, CA, where every good home, including ours had a stereo; a pair of ' 62 Khorns and a Heresy center. When I moved east to go to college, I was given a pair of Heresy's an old Kenwood tuner and amp. After hearing "Those really cool" Bose in the dorm, for the first time, I thought they had toilet tissue stuffed in them. Once folks heard the stereo in my room, there was an awakening among the open minded.

Good thing I was a wrestler on a floor of wrestlers, getting people out of my room was no problem.

I have been living in the New England for sometime now, in fact about 12 - 15 miles east of Bose central, Framingham, MA. Bose has never made a very good speaker but they have awesome marketing and a great image around here; they are a household word. As a forvever Klipsch owner, I pay it no mind, but I feel that Klipsch has failed to really market their venerable name in the Northeastern US. There is some presence here, because of Best Buy. Best Buy seems to sell tons of the Synergy and Reference series stuff they also seems to do all the advertising up here for Klipsch. People cant ask for your product if they don't know about it.

Amy, Klipsch staff, the New England area may not be very important to Klipsch, very few people up here recognize the name, resulting in few people walking in and asking to hear Klipsch; I think I have pointed more people to the Klipsch section of Best Buy than about anybody. The day you folks in marketing have done your jobs is the day the Klipsch name is as recognized as Bose. You do have 30+ years of existence on them, although they probably have better sales numbers. Making the best best mouse trap is great, but you have to let people know.

I buy my Kipsch stuff from an online store out of NYC (very important market), they have better prices than "Best Buy", because the store is in NYC, I get it from UPS overnight, even though they just ship ground, it's only a 240 mile haul.

Winning awards is great, showing pictures of Ice-T w/a pair of RF-83's is wonderful, but that is public relations, not advertising. Amy, my little unit in the US Navy gets more brand recognition than Klipsch does, which should give you something to think about.

Mallete

" I might recommend some bookshelf reference series from Klipsch... smaller than the 901s, MUCH fuller sound. "

If a pair wind up on my door step...I'll try them and report my findings....santa...are you listening.

I think alot of this boils down to personal taste, for xmas I got a friend a pair of Promedia 2.1's, he is a gamer, these are gamer speakers. Prior to that he had virtually nothing.

Personally, I have both RF-52's/RC-52 a pair of Heresy II's and I am now shopping for a subwoofer, probably an RW-10d. I am finally having a little trouble with the HII's, and Klipsch has been great with support.

Actually I am quite impressed with the Acoustimass 5 system, but I am into the Klipsch paradigm. I do believe that the horn model is the way to go for the most part, but Bose is a much bigger company with a much better marketing arm, and they obvioulsy make stuff that appeals to people. I wish MY RF stuff had the bass line of this little $399 system.

Well, I did download the files onto my machine, but I did so for the day I will actually have a good sound card in my machine. I only have a laptop at the moment and no external speakers (lol!). I love Clair de Lune, and would love to hear your version of it, but it will have to wait until I have a means to do it justice.

Mike

"Thread jacking" is a long accepted practice around here. Many times there is valuable information within the jack, sometimes not even audio related, & the thread will eventually get back on the original posters topic. Amy runs a pretty loose forum, thankfully. Keeps it from being sterile.

Not attacking you just didn't know if you've been here long enough to notice the pattern.

I remember my first time hearing 901's..thought they had toilet paper stuffed in them...of course I came from a home w/Khorns and a Heresy center. I just figured Bose was an east Coast thing.

In all fairness, speaker taste is like anything else, there are objective measurements, the industrial series (802 III) will do 91 db 1 watt 1 meter, but they are less than impressive, which is a subjective measure. My RF-52's are objectively better than my HII's but now with the HII's out of the picture, I can't wait to get them back and unload the RF-52's (I'm keeping the center RC-52 and RW-10D sub woofer, but my HII's sound better, a subjective measure. Go figure, all this time advocating for the advancement of technology and I am waiting for new crossovers to restore a pair of 22 year old speakers, that were an uncontested part of my divorce.

I still want to skipper an SOC-R

• 6 months later...