What's my next upgrade?

red_dragon

So I now have the following:

KG 5.5's with Crites titanium domes on the K-85-K tweeters
Yamaha RX-V459
HTPC with passthrough S/PDIF source
(Radiient Europa as surround and Infinity Primus C25 as center, yea mismatch but I'm not too worried about these for now)

Sounds pretty good to me, but I don't feel satisfied. What would you guys do next?

Getting the correct timbre' matched center (KG 2.5V) will make a huge difference that should be your first priority upgrade. Remember the center handles 75-80% of the dialogue and anchor's the mains.

Either that or dump the 5.5's and get some Heritage speakers, you know the ones that put Klipsch on the map.

Sounds pretty good to me, but I don't feel satisfied. What would you guys do next?

I tend to agree with Charles (Frzn)

Seems to me the biggest change you might make would be in your speakers? I mean... a new head unit with a zillion watts & features is STILL going to sound the same as what you got isn't it?

Now if you gave the KG's to someone you liked and replaced them, then it's just a matter of how much room you have and how much you want to spend.

Only you can decide what it might take to satisfy you. We're only here to help you spend your money.

[A]

Haha I see. I was expecting people to tell me to upgrade my receiver or get an amp. Guess not!

How much difference does a receiver or amp make anyways?

No way to emphasize how much more important speakers are than amps. Few, if any, modern hi-fi amps are unlistenable. Most of the speakers are either unlistenable or barely tolerable no matter what you feed them.

Of course, I must throw in that none of that makes any difference if the source material sux. [:D]

JMOHOBOMOHE

Dave

No doubt about it. Either get a matching center or upgrade the entire front three with anything from Quartets on up the heritage food chain. If you have the space for another kg-5.5 for a center, this would be the cheapest (next to the 2.5v) and most obvious improvement for now.

Since every upgrade is costly, try to reach your goal in as few steps as possible. Also, when you spend money for an upgrade, there should be a really obvious improvement, not just an incremental step up in sound quality.

If you don't mind buying used, you can get Heritage speakers at affordable prices, especially Heresies. New ones are pretty expensive. New or used, they'd be a big step up from what you have.

Do you have a sub? If you're happy with the midrange and highs you're getting now, maybe adding a sub to fill in the bottom would be all you need for some time to come.