New 'Record Shop' in North Texas (Mid-Cities area)

RFP

I think that I've mentioned before that there is a really neat new record shop in Hurst (Texas). I've been in there quite a few times, and am always inpressed with (1) the ability to actually find stuff, (2) the overall quality of the vinyl I've bought, and (3) the super-friendly staff (of usually one guy!).

The store is located at the corner of Precinct Line Road and Pipeline Road in Hurst... in the northeast quadrant of the intersection. The name of the place is "Doc's" (presumably because the owner is a dentist). He doesn't even have a sign up yet but his store faces west and if you get in front of the bowling alley, you'll also be pretty much right in front of his shop.

They also have another room with all kinds of "vintage stuff"... it's a trip!!!

"No affilliation" blah, blah, blah...

If you decide to check it out, send me a PM... I'd like to go too.

Cheers - and a very Merry Christmas - to all

Rob

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nope... That's Pipeline road @ Hurstview. From Winnie's, you would continue westbound on Pipeline Road for a mile or so (I'm a lousy judge of distance). As I recall, Precinct Line Road is he very next traffic signal light west of the Hurstview intersection.

Cheerz,

Rob

Although record and music stores are closing in lots of cities (Sam the Record Man closed in Toronto this year, to everyone's dismay. It was a downtown landmark for 70 years), we have quite a few places here in Victoria.

The Turntable, naturally enough, is mostly about LPs, Lyle's Place has mostly CDs and DVDs, plus a small selection of LPs and 45s, but Ditch Records has lots of CDs and LPs, new and used, with lots of current music, of every kind. The shop is usually full of young people looking for the latest as well as the classics, which I take to be a sign of good health in the music business.

What really makes it for me is that those three shops are all downtown, within five blocks of my front door, so I often hit all three in an afternoon. Lyle's even has an outdoor rack that I like to check when I pass by, so I was able to pick up 3 LPs yesterday on the way back from the post office.

Having lived in Flower Mound, about 20 minutes from the new record store being discussed, for 18 years I got to know where the stacks of well-worn wax were to be found in DFW. I really miss the scene, as well as the wealth of hornheads I got to know there.

I am lost in Houston and have found nothing more than Half-Priced Books and Records, which is very hit or miss...not that I haven't scored some pretty nifty stuff there over the years.

I read recently that an old Houston landmark Cactus Records had re-opened under some of the old employees after having been closed for a while. They specialize in Texas music (which I love, but do not specialize in) but some of the press indicated there were other goodies as well. I am looking to get over there, but unfortunately from where I live it's the worst part of a trip to Austin to get there. Fourth largest city in the US really didn't mean much to me until I moved here. DFW was long and narrow and if you lived in the middle you could get most places with minimum hassle. Houston is basiclly square...there is no good way anywhere.

Dave

Now I know why he doesn't respond to his e-mail, he's too busy drivin' the Vette to the Vinyl Store ...... likely story ......... EH !!!!

No, actually Rob, I haven't responded to your last e-mail 'cause I'm a goober!

I hope all's well with you and that the Porsche decides to actually start treating you better sometime in the near future! I promise I'll get back to you soon!

A very, very merry Christmas to you kind sir!

Rob