1-800-flowers

oscarsear

The well advertised consortium of florists has a rather poor policy that I became subject to which I feel others need to understand. I sent the Mrs a dozen roses for her 50th at her workplace. A dozen yellow roses which are her favorite color. Well roses were delivered and she was happy. But she brought the buggers home and there wasn't a yellow one in the arrangement. It was a mishmosh spray of 3 different colored roses none of which was yellow. Needless to say I was unhappy.

I contacted the group where upon I was advised that the "backup" selection was always multicored and that this was stated somewhere in the small print on the order. I have replied to them that for that kind of $$ that any 2nd or 3rd choice was MINE to make not theirs. Their own advertising scheme tells use to think deeply about what we chose to send but they think nothing of substituting a generalized selection in its place. Buyer beware and now I have advised. I know I won't use this service ever again.

Oscarear,

You are correct. Decent customer service should allow you to pick your own alternative. That is a real disappointment.

I'd been thinking I'd post my own OT customer service debacle, but hopefully it would be OK with you to tack it on your thread.

Stay away from: http://www.gonnaluvit.com/storefrontprofiles/default.aspx?sfid=67729

I ordered a watch for my wife's Christmas present. Price was excellent AND they offered free sterling earrings to match. So I ordered on 12/12 and paid with PayPal. Got e-mail confirming that it was shipped on 12/14 First Class USPS from California. Plenty of time to get to Arkansas by 12/24, right? You'd think so. It doesn't come, confirmation of shipping is indicated on website, but no contact telephone. Anyway, afternoon of 12/24 I e-mail customer service requesting a refund and I file a dispute with PayPal. 12/26 I get e-mail from PayPal saying the dispute is resolved and payment is refunded. The seller's explanation to paypal was that the watch ordered was the last in stock and had a scratched crystal, so it was on backorder. So now I know for sure that the shipping confirmation from gonnaluvit.com was a lie. That does not, however, inspire any confidence that the explanation is true.

I did every bit of my Christmas shopping on line, mostly with Amazon. Except for this one bad online retailer, everything met my expectations. Of course, that's not saying much since I only expect delivery of what I have paid for.

Jay,

The Lenovo sales force is brain dead. It took my daughter close to three months to get her desktop, ordered though their web store. I do, however, think their hardware is good. I have a laptop that I bought right before the name switch (IBM to Lenovo) and my daughter has a desktop and a laptop form them. They are doing fine. We do have a laptop at work that seemes to be a lemon. Have sent it back three times, and it still acts up. The problem there is it goes to a service depot that they contract with, and they are awful.

One department has wanted to get the Lenovo/IBM because they have an international warranty.

We had two desktops at work, that were actually personally owned. They both were out of warranty, and both had bad motherboards (lots of small electrolytic caps were leaking). Even though they were out of warranty, new motherboards were shipped as replacements and the PCs are running great now.

B ruce

Speaking of flowers, I was going to send a dozen roses to my gf in China. All the FTD folks were outrageously expensive, which you might assume when sending to somewhere overseas.

I found an online florist, started by some students who were in business school in Canada (I think I remember that right). I have used them three times, to two different places in mainland China (they serve most of Asia and the U.S.). Service has been excellent. If they don't have what you order, they will tell you alternatives, you can change the order after you place it, etc.

I was flabbergasted at the service. I sent a dozen red roses, with baby's breath in them, beautiful presentation. The cost was right at $26 delivered. The last order was for 9 red roses, two white, w/baby's breath throughout. I added a box of Dove chocolates. Still under $50. Delivered on time, every time so far.

You guys with the flower issues have my deepest sympathies... (in fact, I might even send YOU some flowers to show my lament...)

With that said, you're going to all hate me...

My wife, back when we first met in 1989 laid the LAW on me...

Seems she absolutely LOVES fresh cut flowers and second, SHE prefers to cut them herself. She finds great pleasure and joy walking about the farm, finding some flowers to collect and then turning them into a (always beautiful) arraingment.

She said she detests florists, their price and the flowers you end up getting (or as some, NOT getting [:P]) . She's told me on more than one occasion that if I EVER buy her flowers, she's going to whop me over the head! She'd rather me simply give her the cash or take her out to dinner BUT to let HER do the flower thing!!

(neener neener)

[:P]

You guys with the flower issues have my deepest sympathies...  (in fact, I might even send YOU some flowers to show my lament...)

With that said, you're going to all hate me...

My wife, back when we first met in 1989 laid the LAW on me...

Seems she absolutely LOVES fresh cut flowers and second, SHE prefers to cut them herself.  She finds great pleasure and joy walking about the farm, finding some flowers to collect and then turning them into a (always beautiful) arraingment.

She said she detests florists, their price and the flowers you end up getting (or as some, NOT getting Stick out tongue) .  She's told me on more than one occasion that if I EVER buy her flowers, she's going to whop me over the head!  She'd rather me simply give her the cash or take her out to dinner BUT to let HER do the flower thing!!

(neener neener)

Stick out tongue

Nope I don't hate you or the Mrs. I grow roses. I've harvested so many roses at one time that i I gave them to my secretary the neighbors and the mailman. Literally 24 dozen in a single harvest. That's what made me so mad about my order. Can't deliver don't offer. I love roses. I know roses. In Idaho where I now live roses don't grow so readily so I relied upon a vendor. Wrong, it will not happen again.

I grow roses

Interesting how a single comment can bring back a memory...

My dad has a good friend (Stiles) who evidently loves to grow Orchids and is very good at it. Seems he has a hot house where he grows them.

When we got married, Dad & his wife drove up. I don't know if she had a swatch of Marion's dress or not, but her dress was some kind of cream/beige...or something...

Well, Stiles sent Marion's boquet (of Orchids) up with Dad & Becky. It was beautiful and perfectly matched her dress. They almost looked fake because they were so fresh & perfect. As the story gets to me, Stiles went through and hand picked the ones he thought were the prettiest (with or without color swatch of dress, I still don't know how he nailed the color) anyway,

After Stiles gave his best flowers to Marion for her boquet, he didn't have too many 'nice' ones left.

His mother passed away a week later. Her passing was unexpected and because he had picked through all his "pretty" orchids for Marion, he had to go BUY some for his mothers funeral.

Kind of made me feel bad

Jay,

The Lenovo sales force is brain dead. It took my daughter close to three months to get her desktop, ordered though their web store. I do, however, think their hardware is good. I have a laptop that I bought right before the name switch (IBM to Lenovo) and my daughter has a desktop and a laptop form them. They are doing fine. We do have a laptop at work that seemes to be a lemon. Have sent it back three times, and it still acts up. The problem there is it goes to a service depot that they contract with, and they are awful.

One department has wanted to get the Lenovo/IBM because they have an international warranty.

We had two desktops at work, that were actually personally owned. They both were out of warranty, and both had bad motherboards (lots of small electrolytic caps were leaking). Even though they were out of warranty, new motherboards were shipped as replacements and the PCs are running great now.

B ruce

The short story. I needed a new laptop my old one is dead. I saved up enough so: I brought an lenovo based upon the fact that I had an ibm t40 which was a workhorse and abuse taker. It is an absolute jem, I still use it but I gave it to my parents so... Anyways I brought an X61 tablet based on the fact I realized my old 11 pound 15 inch screen laptop was not conducive to doing stuff and being mobile. Its great to leave on the desk and never move. Be warned all that read this and have kids going to college. I love seeing all the brand new 7-10 pound +14 inch laptops that the students parents spent atleast 1000+ on only to see by October to see maybe 5 students still dedicated to bringing them in a class of 600. By november none, only me and the kids with the ultra portable laptops because we lived and learned. In september you might see 1 out of 5 have laptops and in November you will see 5 with laptops in big classes. Sorry I ranted.... But first problem, I ordered it october 20 or so. It said ship date January 7, 2008? WTF??? I called they said its not in the computer system yet I could see it going on their website customer purchase website? They said call in 24 hours.... I called every 24 hours they said from monday up to thursday. Okay they tell me its due to the 8 cell battery situation where they cannot produce the 8 cell without them blowing up. Its due to the battery recall issue. Okay I then was connected to a salemen to buy the computer minus the 8 cell battery (got a 4 cell). Okay thats fine, the salesmen said if I brought this bag he can give me 10% off.... great... Then I brought another bag but realized 1 hour later it was made for the a 15 inch not a 12 inch.... Called and cancelled that.... Also I realized after i saw the confirmation email of the purchase that the salesman shipped to the wrong address.... He used the billing address, but being in college I am limited to going home (1 hour drive or 4 hour train ride) I made the change in the original call to cancel the bag and to update the address.... okay. A week later it said that the order of the bags is shipped.... wtf? So the salesman did not cancel the bag order. I called them and they said that the order was never cancelled and you will be charged a 15% restocking fee if it is returned.... I see the salesman was a con artist. I told my father to refuse the package in which the ups man said whatever and tried to deliver it 3 times as I watched the tracking number... My father even told me that the guy tried to drop and walk away in which my father picked it up and yelled at the driver.

I had to have my American Express to dispute the charges. I sent the concierge person all the information including the confirmation email in which the order was supposed to be cancelled, etc. Guess who American Express believed..... Then I noticed I was double charged? Okay, the salesman never cancelled my first order. So I had something like 4 thousand dollars on my account at one time, I am lucky I used my Amex as it has no preset limit, which in that case would have blocked the billing of the second laptop, the one I wanted. I called furious and a regional salesman said sorry..... but he said BTW the second laptop has shipped already, I asked which address. Sent home, not to college.... someone again didn't change the order...... He said that he would try to intercept the package. Then I called back saying that the tracking had the wrong address..... and then the other guy said it was not possible.... I said okay fine whatever..... I called my father to tell him the situation he said that he would sign and then probably drive it down. The tracking said it was signed for and delivered but it wasn't my father's signature? At this point I was like great what else could possibly go wrong, someone stole it. But it was actually sent to my dorm address but UPS did not bother to update the address and it still said delivered to home address.....

Okay the nice part, it works, pretty well.... except that Vista is absolute garbage. It lost the network drivers (network card and wifi card drivers) in a machine that has no optical device (cd player dvd player) so I had to do a complete system restore which basically erases everything you have and then resets to factory install..... I am in a college that limits your bandwidth, I downloaded too much updates from vista, etc that I was banned from the internet for 5 days..... (my college does no differentiate illegal bandwidth to bandwidth so after 4 gigs of download in 5 days time you are sol) And then during finals I used it alot to study.... the day i was done I found the latch broke, not the plastic part that is on the monitor that I thought would break but the actual metal hook on the base of the laptop, near the palm rest. I brought it to the repair center on campus and they said that that never happened. The guy actually called all the techies and said did you guys ever see this? and they all nod their heads no, the plastic part usually breaks not the metal. But they close over the break so they said we can repair it after january 20th..... uhhh no.... But I call Lenovo which they said that they will repair it maybe but that the waranty might not cover it. If it is not covered under waranty it looks to be about a 300-400 dollar repair. If it is not covered under warant it might just be sent to American Express and be done with. I am not happy.

Sorry for my Lenovo rant, and I would be pissed if I paid for yellow roses and got the wrong boquet of roses without even notification. This seems to be that people judge corporations by their customer support.

bad experience with 1800FLOWERS as well...flowers sent for a special occasion...Spring Mix with her favorite flower...Daisies...all different colors...what arrived was a dozen pink carnations...I was told the "right to substitue" clause as well...when I complained further...they finally offered me 10% off my next order...my resposne to them was "Why would I want 10% off of something I will never use again."

Bill