Klipsch at the Theaters

jamesV

It may be cool but by the time I buy gas there and back include travel time, tolls, snacks, meals, hotel room (maybe) and beer I just stay home and enjoy the RB 61's and SVS sub. To be honest since we got the 43 inch screen and Klipsch speakers we hardly ever go to the movies any more. It's easier to stay and home get something to eat, drink an adult beverage and pause the movie when I want to go to the bathroom. Just last week when I was off work the wife and I watched all 3 Lond of the Rings movies extended editions in a row.

Life is good.

JT,

Yep, the Rogers Malco has Klipsch, JBL, ElectroVoice and one or two other brands. The reason? Mike Thompson, Malco's resident engineer wanted to be able to compare the different theater systems on the market and to work with Roy to develop cinema products that are second to none. In my opinion, they succeeded.

Lee

Are you saying the Rogers complex has different brands in the screen rooms. If so, did Faye.. go with Klipsch exclusively? Which room was your preference? I assume the rooms playing fields are equal. badly worded post i know.

The Rogers Towne Center 12 has the mix of cinema brands. What better way to test the competition than to hear and measure them in a real-world cinema setting!

The Rogers Pinnacle Hills 12 (I believe) all Klipsch. The Fayetteville Razorback 13 which just opened is all Klipsch. The smaller rooms in the Razorback complex have different loudspeaker arrays than the largest rooms.

I was surprised the loudspeakers were each connected to the amplifiers using a pair of plain ol' #10 stranded wire similar to that used in commercial electrical runs. Each wire was color coded so hookup at the other end is a no-brainer. I asked Mike T. why they didn't put the amplifiers behind the screen with the loudspeakers to reduce long cable runs. He said he didn't want the amps stolen and that there would be no way to change one out if it failed during a movie.

The full-range loudspeakers all had Roy's passive crossover networks. I'm not sure if the subs had a LP filter or if it was controlled thru the THX/Dolby software.

Lee

Classic uses the HPS 4000 system at the Tivoli and other theaters, that's considerably better than mere LaScalas behind the screen.

Waddaya mean, "mere La Scalas"? Wink

That's not my quote. I would never use the word mere when describing anything Klipsch-especially Heritage.

Except for something like:

"A mere quart of blood had spilled from my ears after listening to the concert on my Klipsch speakers!"

Here's a snippet from the Malco web site quoting Judy Klipsch, '"We look at theatres as the testing ground for our home-entertainment business, " explains vice chairman Judy Klipsch, who showed the results of their collaboration at ShoWest. "Just like new automobile technology is developed for the professional racing arena, Klipsch spends an incredible amount of time, effort and money on our cinema products. The new KMX Grand screen and stage loudspeaker system represents the ultimate in audio performance for larger exhibition spaces and, in particular, those auditoriums fitted with digital sound equipment that Krikorian and Malco have just opened. We like to align ourselves with best-in-class operators. " Judy Klipsch estimates that close to 7,000 of their speakers are installed in movie theatres across the continent, including sites by Regal Entertainment, AIC, Grupo Ramirez and Cinemex.'

I've been told that Klipsch Cinema loudspeakers are in 60-70% of all U.S. theaters.

Lee

Classic uses the HPS 4000 system at the Tivoli and other theaters, that's considerably better than mere LaScalas behind the screen.

Waddaya mean, "mere La Scalas"? Wink

That's not my quote. I would never use the word mere when describing anything Klipsch-especially Heritage.

Except for something like:

"A mere quart of blood had spilled from my ears after listening to the concert on my Klipsch speakers!"

Yeah, well there's no doubt that LaScalas can make you ears bleed, even when listening at low levels.

Tom, is that your Emilar horn in the avatar?

Yes Marvel, the Emilar bowtie. I'm using a pair with Altec 902s atop my Altec 605s, using the woofers of the 605s. Crossed at 1200hz with a Teac T-amp on the treble drivers and a QSC on the woofers. Preamp is a Dyna PAS-3 and an ART active crossover is used. It's my bedroom hi-fi and used mostly with Sirius radio or a Thorens record player as sources.

The bowtie is a nice sounding horn. When freestanding it needs some damping and there's distortion if used with a 800hz crossover. However a turn of the dial up to 1200 cleaned that right up. I suspect the horn isn't really loading down to it's claimed 800hz lower limit. But I must admit I really bought them because they look so cool.

Regards

• 3 weeks later...