polk vs. klipsch

ilovesound

Hi, i am just asking myself whether i should return the klipsch quintet 3 speaker system i just bought, and get a polk csi5 center channel to go with my already purchased and non returnable 2 pairs of polk r-150,s. Is polk even comparible to klipsch in sound, or reliability. How about quality of the speaker itself not to blow out. Im just wondering because i want a system that will not easily be blown out and because of the size woofers in my quintets, it makes me question its limit.

Thanks

Yes,

Welcome to the form. In this Case, yes return the Quintets and get the center channel Polk so you will have seemless sound across your front speakers.

If you go to the Club Polk website they can better advise you on what other speakers to purchase to round out your HT.

Later on if you get the chance, demo some Klipsch Reference speakers. You will find out that for the Money, they blow Polk speakers out of the water.

Polk is a very nice, but laid back speaker, whereas Klipsch are a much more efficient and revealing speaker. Good Luck.

Also go to www.crutchfield.com website. They are the main site Polk sells thru and they have excellent customer support to answer any Polk Questions.

Short version... Klipsch are efficient, high definition, superbly engineered, and brutally clear when reproducing the source material. While not considered as such, they can, with no doubt whatsoever, stand as studio/ control room monitor speakers, any day, any time, any material. FWIW, and Lord knows I've had JBL's, AR's, etc. since 1971. ALL GONE; Klipschorns, Cornwalls, LaScalas, Heresys. and now the R/RFR series. Go listen. Good Luck. Go Klipsch.

• Moderators

My last system was a pair of Polk RT-800 towers, CS300 Center, FX500 Bipole/Dipole Rears. You can view the speakers here. After I sold them, I upgraded to an HK Receiver, Klipsch CF-2 towers and KV-3 Center with a Velodyne F-1500 sub. You can see the speakers here.

I can say that the Klipsch absolutely blows the Polks away in quaility and detail of the speakers. They have a much sweeter and rich sound. I can also crank the Klipsch and they sound fantastic. From day one, I was NEVER satisfied with my Polk center channel. The highs in the center were just not crisp enough for me. The horn tweeter in the Klipsch speakers fixed that problem for me. The fronts were good and the rears were good. As stated, if you cannot return the Polks, I would get a matching Polk center and later demo the Klipsch Reference series and you will soon find yourself selling your Polks.

The answer you want: Get the Polk so everything sounds the same.

The answer you don't want: Pitch all your Polks and go klipsch all around. That's what I did.

My last system consisted of Polk S-8's, CS-250-S, S-4s and a Klipsch KSW-12. It was a good SOUNDING setup. Blended well, but farted out when I turned up the volume. My Klipsch setup doesn't fart out. I blew a woofer on one of the S-8's so I changed out everything for Klipsch. I'll never look back...

KCM is right...

"The answer you want: Get the Polk so everything sounds the same.

The answer you don't want: Pitch all your Polks and go klipsch all around. That's what I did."

=============

What we will always preach on here, those of us really into HT, is those front left center and right speakers match well. We call that Timbre, and it is very important. Just imagine a car going from your fronts speakers off camera to the left to center to right speakers and the noise of that car sounding different on three different speakers..... I know a little thing, (to some) but it is very distracting...to most...LOL Now imagine music in the same way if that left mix and right mix is differnt...and the singer in the middle is too bight , or too subdude too... It is gonna suck!

The perfect center is one just like your mains left n right.... A custom center with at LEAST the same mid n highs is a very close second.

So stay with what you are thinking with Polk.. Dream a little to replace it with a bigger more life like "cinema experience" in Klipsch someday if you get hooked and have some extra $. I am sure you will be rewarded later!

• Moderators

If you ever see a KV-4 (like on eBay), you should buy it and replace that KV-3.

Thx STL. This is only a temp setup for me. I'm working on saving up for the RF-83 setup to put in the theater room in our home that we will begin building in May.

Tonight, my son and I moved my Klipsch setup from my tiny 8' x 8' office to the living room. Pics here. To re-emphasize my previous comments, we watched Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer tonight. This was the first time that I have listened to a movie on my Klipsch system in an actual living room environment. I have to say that the Klipsch setup sounded sooo much clearer and defined than the Polk system that I described. The center was crisp and bright...something that I did not get with the Polk center.