Fascinating McDonald's ad...

Mallette

We we discuss the vinyl "resurgence," I tend to consider it pretty much something only we would notice. I just saw a McDonald's add on NBC that started with a teenager dropping the needle on a record, then examining another disc...

The punch line was that when you save money by eating at McDonald's, you have more money to spend on the things you really want! Of course, you may not live long enough to enjoy them...

Pretty interesting.

Dave

Bwaaahahaha ....

Hopefully, friends will learn about music, and can discuss such at the Funeral ..

Please tell me .. he wasn't " Scratchin' " ... the Vinyl ..Tongue Tied

Not at all. Didn't realize what was happening fast enough get a fix on the table, but nice wood base. Coulda been a Thorens.

Guest srobak

retro is in again... rollerskating took off earlier this year, and before you know it - they will be making a miami vice movie...

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

ok - they will be bringing back the bonic woman... ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ok - they will be bringing back the terminator... ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

ok - they will be bringing back battlestar galactica... ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

ok - they will be bringing back knight rider WITH the hoff playing the role... ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

ok - seriously - vinyl sales are up because DJs cant get the same feel from even the most sophisticated CD deck as they can from a pair of 1200s. Sales are not up because there is a sudden surge in audiophiles and high fidelity... don't kid yourselves.

"retro is in again... rollerskating took off earlier this year, and before you know it - they will be making a miami vice movie...

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

ok - they will be bringing back the bonic woman... ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ok - they will be bringing back the terminator... ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

ok - they will be bringing back battlestar galactica... ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

ok - they will be bringing back knight rider WITH the hoff playing the role... ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

ok - seriously - vinyl sales are up because DJs cant get the same feel from even the most sophisticated CD deck as they can from a pair of 1200s. Sales are not up because there is a sudden surge in audiophiles and high fidelity... don't kid yourselves. "

according to my local record SHOP'S (thats plural as in several vinyl shops) vinyl has made quite a resurgance i have visited most of the shops and the vinyl they stock is not dj material (singles) they are getting in alot of higher end audiophile vinyl full length lp's, and my discussion with a shop ouner yesterday he stated he sold more vinyl to people who were giving it as gifts than he has over the past 10 years combined, thats not dj sales !!!!!!!, i would also contend you have about as many dj's today as you did 10 years ago and if they are the reason for the resurgance why did it take till now ????????

i have no doubt that vinyl will never replace the cd as a medium but it is making a resurgance with more and more new titles pressed every week, and old remasters of classic albums being distributed all the time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

" dont kid yourselves ", " vinyl sales are up because of dj's" WHOS KIDDING WHO ????????????

Joe

"...have no doubt that vinyl will never replace the cd as a medium but it is making a resurgance with more and more new titles pressed every week, and old remasters of classic albums being distributed all the time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

" dont kid yourselves ", " vinyl sales are up because of dj's" WHOS KIDDING WHO ????????????

I would tend to agree with Joe...I bet album (LP) sales at both Music Direct and Acoustic Sounds music catalogs are up, or at least at a steady rate. With better pressings from such masters as Steve Hoffman coming out in droves and new turntable models being introduced practically every year, I think the vinyl format is definately making a resurgance!

Well, you guys know I am a lover and my LP's will be in my will. However, the reason is that they are irreplaceable and wonderful things. Phonograph records represent the vast majority of all the music ever recorded and much of it will either never be digitized or it will be a very long time before it happens. Anything that has been digitized has been on CD, and most of us recognize and hear the limitations of that format. My own 24/88.2 digitized Pink Floyd sounds MUCH better than the "high end" CD releases.

Point is, the "resurgence" is temporary. The truly universal digital audio device will come soon, and be capable of providing high res for all. Yes, I know about the failures of DVD-A and SACD, but when I say universal player I mean one you can stick a disc in and it will play any audio that is on it, whether raw PCM, wav, wmv, FLAC, mpwhatever, SACD, DVD, any dang thing. At that point, there will be no confusion. That's what people hate, including many audiophiles.

Granted most things are headed toward download, but the same type of players will still be needed even though they may be HDD or large scale static memory devices.

Right now I cannot purchase a copy of Kid Ory playing "Muskrat Ramble" that remotely sounds as good as the original disk. However, I can make a recording that does...it just requires too much fiddling for the average person to get it to play back.

More and more of you are getting into soundcards and such, but the rest will not until media players and servers become plug and play. When that happens, only a few of us will cling to our 'tables. The rest will be quite happy with the recordings we make that sound just as good. Linn's 24/88.2 downloads already sound as good.

When? Well, "I may not get there with you, but I have seen the promised land..." and it is digital.

Dave

Even if vinyl is making a "comeback" into the audiophile world, what is the demographic? I can only imagine it's the older generation interested in the nostalgia of past years. This seems to coincide very well with the era of music available on vinyl. I am also aware of some relatively new pressings of vinyl, but it's still the same target market.

The future of music is with the future generations...and considering that everything is becomming more and more computer based, I fully expect computers to be at the core of every system...that kind of processing power is needed in order to have fully universal playback too. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see an automatic codec download system so that record lables could use whatever data medium they wanted. The computer based software upsamplers for video also seem to outperform all of the hardware based units I've seen. There's just so much more one can do with computers, and I think the only reason it hasn't kicked off already is because of the issues with DRM.

Btw, I kinda have to agree that the DJ business is driving a lot of the vinyl sales too. Through the 90's there was a move towards CD based playback with digital scratch tables trying emulate vinyl, but the units kinda suck and never got better so it was just natural for the progression to return to vinyl. A lot of the business with DJ'ing is playing tunes that everyone is familiar with, which means going back about 20 years...

Don't discount the (to use an overused term) "hipster" crowd in the 19 - late 20's early 30's range. For example, in neighborhoods such as Wicker Park and the like here in Chicago, the shaggy beard wearing crown is into very much into vinyl possibly as much as the "older generation" you describe or "audiophile" crowd you have much disdain for. I mean, it's a trend, I guess, and doesn't have as much to do with quality as cool outsider factor. Heck, though, the local Urban Outfitters has a record player on display in the window, so that's a sign that it has already become either "hipster-lite" or has passed onto broader acceptance. My guess, and it is just a guess, is that it is closer to the latter as many of the indie label releases I hear on the local college station WLUW (Loyola Chicago) are described as being on vinyl. Also the WLUW record fair is H-U-G-E every year and believe me when I say it is NOT older folks at the show. I imagine the scene is being repeated in many other cities and college campuses. As another example, my brother in law has a records store at OU in Norman. Booming business over the last few years. I'm pretty surprised there is no record store / scene at U of I.

I hear ya, Doc, but I believe this wax "comeback" is not only DJ-based...there are many more European and Asian audiophiles spinnin' vinyl then we may realize (from the forums and blogs that I've read). They may very well be babyboomers, but I tend to think they pass down their LP-lovin' ways down to their children, for I've read (and even watched a video blog from the Netherlands awhile back) where the members of this audio society were my age and younger!

Regardless, I hope vinyl lives long and prospers.

I'm pretty surprised there is no record store / scene at U of I.

Well there is, but it's not "audiophile". About half of it is DJ, and the other half is just the cool nostalgia factor of playing vinyl at a party, or older profs. I think we're down to two vinyl stores now...apparently there used to be about a dozen or so.

Most everyone in the student AES chapter here on campus and the campus in Chicago seem to be listening to mini-monitors hooked up to their computers.

I'm pretty surprised there is no record store / scene at U of I.

Well there is, but it's not "audiophile". About half of it is DJ, and the other half is just the cool nostalgia factor of playing vinyl at a party, or older profs. I think we're down to two vinyl stores now...apparently there used to be about a dozen or so.

Most everyone in the student AES chapter here on campus and the campus in Chicago seem to be listening to mini-monitors hooked up to their computers.

Oh yeah...my sense of the vinyl scene is that not much of the so called surge has too much to do with "audiophile." Defining who is an audiophile is impossible, but if we were to assume that it meant those who consider hi-fi and / or high-end audio a hobby, I would guess that even a 50% swing in favor of people adopting a turntable as a source still wouldn't lead to an appreciable renaissance in vinyl outside of a few high-end type companies and boutique record labels.

By the time you warm up your tubes, look for the record, put it on the turntable and play a particular song today's youth will have downloaded 1000 songs, a couple movies, had twelve cell phone text messages, played some games on the tv, and eaten two big macs and a two liter pepsi.

JJK

By the time you warm up your tubes, look for the record, put it on the turntable and play a particular song today's youth will have downloaded 1000 songs, a couple movies, had twelve cell phone text messages, played some games on the tv, and eaten two big macs and a two liter pepsi.

JJK

If you add a pass through the disc washer, they've also had sex twice.[:P]

Dave

JJK

If you add a pass through the disc washer, they've also had sex twice.Stick out tongue

Dave

Twice! Oh to be young again...