find themselves stranded at the bottom of the sea. Das Boot
puts you inside that submerged vessel and explores the physical and
emotional tensions of the situation with a vivid, terrifying realism
that few movies can match. As Petersen tightens the screws and the
submerged ship blows bolts, the pressure builds to such unbearable
levels that you may be tempted to escape for a nice walk on solid land
in the great outdoors--only you wouldn't dream of looking away from the
screen. --Jim Emerson

Das Boot... OMG in surround sound, I felt I was on the submarine!

I forgot to add it fills up the whole 16 x 9 screen, (I wish more DVD's had this option) and is also on TWO sides of a DVD disc..LOL.

My father introduced me to this movie and it has been a favorite ever since. He watches it in German without subtitles because he knows it by heart.

Anyway, when I was a junior in College, I made all my roomates sit down and watch it with me. Three and one-half hours and I don't think anyone even got up to go to the bathroom. One of my roommates was Jewish and liked it, that says a lot about the great story telling for a movie about Nazis.

Maybe more can enjoy it with the DVD director's cut!

My GF grabs the remote now at any mention of Das Boot! 1st time was OK, but she needs to watch it 5 or more times to hear all the details like: Realism In Depth Charges![~] Spellbinding best of class & beyond!

One of my all time favorites. First released in German with subtitles then re-released in English.

This is a "theater" movie. If you ever get a chance to see it on the big screen go for it and then send me a thank you note. Man you can practically smell the BO from unwashed bodies mixed in with cooking smells and oil as they spend time underwater.

I'm glad all those Nazi bastards are sitting on the bottom. They substituted bravery and obedience for brains, ethics and moral fortitude. "I vas only following der orders mein herr, glub,glub."

By all means... get the 209 min directors cut on DVD... (It has 2 sides...LOL)

I have seen it in English 2 times now all the way through... you quit being so critical the mouths of the actors is off a little... and just look and experience it all around you as you get lost in the movie. The sound effects are a 10+++

If you can handle it in German with English subtittles, go for it, but IMO it might be distracting trying to follow that and still enjoy all of the sound efects...Especially in a movie this long. I can just see people pause rewinding all the time..OK What did he say here???

That said...after you have seen it a few times..In German with English subtitles, it might be cool..LOL

By the way, both the German and English soundtracks are dubbed. The set was so loud they didn't record any actual dialogue in the U-Boat. A few of the actors even did their own English-speaking parts. That's what Wolfgang Petersen says on the director's commentary.