Please help me chose between these two Receivers

slammy77

Okay... after lots and lots of researching receivers, I've narrowed the field down to 2 models. My budget is $500 firm with no room to go over.

Onkyo TX-SR605 vs. the Denon AVR-1708
Here's a link to a side by side comparison courtesy of Crutchfield.com
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdComp.asp?g=10420&s=0&c=4&cc=01&compareItems=033AV1708&compareItems=580TXS605S

The Onkyo is $399. The Denon is $499.

If it matters what the rest of my HT setup is:

65" Mits DLP 1080p TV
Klipsch Reference 5.1 speakers (The RB51 set)

Toshiba HD-A3 HD-DVD player
DirecTV HD-DVR

I'm planning to run HDMI from the DVD player and the DirecTV box to the new receiver and run 1 HDMI cable to the TV from the receiver. I may be getting a Blu-Ray player this year as well... so I'd like to have a receiver with at least 3 HDMI inputs, but so far I haven't found such a receiver under $500.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

id go for the Denon Slammy. Your going to get a better build product .Id say probably a better Power supply..(which in my opinion, is the most important feature)

Ive owned a different Denon every year now..Ive never had one let me down since day one

Monty

Other than the fact that the 1708 IS NOT BUILT BY DENON!! They OEM all their lower end recievers. You don't get a real denon until the 2800 series. Same goes for DVD players. The 2930 and above are built by denon, the 1940 and below are rebadged Panasonic players with a denon remote and gui.

Get the Onkyo. I'm not hating on Denon, I'm a huge fan of their stuff, but in the low end they are a terrible value. The 605 is a great piece of gear and can be found on Amazon or about $100 less then crutchfield. Also, if you ever plan on adding an outboard amp, you may want to look at the 705, as the 605 has no preouts.

I'll second the advice from jzoz01.

When I first got into HT, I got talked into a Denon AVR1804. I got it home and (before I set up the HT thing) plugged it into my 2 channel system to see how it sounded back to back against my 15 year old Carver separates driving Cornwalls. There simply was no comparison - it was like the Cornwalls had suddenly turned into Bose 301s! The Denon sounded like crap! I also discovered that (contrary to what the salesman had told me) the 1804 didn't have pre-outs - so I couldn't use my other amps with it. Oh, and on top of the poor sound quality, the tuner section sucked. It wouldn't even pick up FM stations that my old Carver CT-17 pulled in, crisp and clear. Took the Denon back and made a big jump up in sound quality (and bucks) to B&K separates.

I did not know that the lower end Denons were made by Panasonic, I did know, however, that they were made in China. In the past, I've advised people to move far enough up the Denon food chain to make sure that they were buying a Japanese made model. Lots of folks seem to be very happy with the higher end Denons, I'd just recommend that you avoid the lower end Chinese made stuff. As jzoz said, it's not really Denon.

James

I'll second the advice from jzoz01.

When I first got into HT, I got talked into a Denon AVR1804. I got it home and (before I set up the HT thing) plugged it into my 2 channel system to see how it sounded back to back against my 15 year old Carver separates driving Cornwalls. There simply was no comparison - it was like the Cornwalls had suddenly turned into Bose 301s! The Denon sounded like crap! I also discovered that (contrary to what the salesman had told me) the 1804 didn't have pre-outs - so I couldn't use my other amps with it. Oh, and on top of the poor sound quality, the tuner section sucked. It wouldn't even pick up FM stations that my old Carver CT-17 pulled in, crisp and clear. Took the Denon back and made a big jump up in sound quality (and bucks) to B&K separates.

I did not know that the lower end Denons were made by Panasonic, I did know, however, that they were made in China. In the past, I've advised people to move far enough up the Denon food chain to make sure that they were buying a Japanese made model. Lots of folks seem to be very happy with the higher end Denons, I'd just recommend that you avoid the lower end Chinese made stuff. As jzoz said, it's not really Denon.

James

Just to clarify, the low end Denon DVD players are Panasonic rebadge, the revievers are made by someone else (Not Denon). Denon makes great stuff, but you don't get a Denon reciever unless you buy a 2308 or above. The 1xxx stuff is all OEM'd and made in China.

Jzoz01

Looked at your system, we should compare notes! hehehehehehe We talked about this before.. Did you get all moved into Ft Wayne?

Pm me if you want to come over Sunday and watch the Indiana University vs Ohio State Basketball game at 1 pm!

Anyone else want to take in the game, give me a PM or email. I will give you directions. I am sure we can order up some pizzas and drinks.. (The kids are away, so we can concentrate! LOL)

It should be a great one, and on CBS in HDTV too.

yes your right jzoz01if its not at least a 33 hundred series its not made in japan,,,but china. Actually the advice I wanted to give here was go with an older 3805 or 3806 but I dont know if they have the connections in the back he wants..

Personally I wouldnt buy any of those lower end receivers unless I was pushing bookshelfs or satellites with a sub

Jzoz01

Looked at your system, we should compare notes! hehehehehehe We talked about this before.. Did you get all moved into Ft Wayne?

Pm me if you want to come over Sunday and watch the Indiana University vs Ohio State Basketball game at 1 pm!

Anyone else want to take in the game, give me a PM or email. I will give you directions. I am sure we can order up some pizzas and drinks.. (The kids are away, so we can concentrate! LOL)

It should be a great one, and on CBS in HDTV too.

Yeah I need to update my profile I guess. I sold the RF-7s the day before I moved from MN. I tried putting the Logans in the living room, but the arangement didn't meet WAF. Oddly enough she was fine with me setting up shop in the bedroom, but not the living room. Oh well, HT in the bedroom. The THX subs are currently sitting in their respective boxes in my entryway as is my RC-7 (someone please buy it so I can justify picking up a ML center). Hopefully this is a temp situation as we are already scouting out houses. Will be 6 months out or so, but gotta start dreaming sometime.

Roger I'll shoot you a PM.

As bad as I hate,I'd go with the Onkyo at that price range if you want new.You would be better off stepping up to the 705,although at that range I think though I'd rather have the Marantz 7001(4 hdmi v.1.2 $599 refurb).Then there is HK for quality sound.................

While Denon makes a fantastic product it is correct that the made in Japan versions are better sounding and they should be because they cost a lot more than the made in China versions. Someone mentioned HK and that's a great match for Klipsch. HK has always had less features than say Denon but in the budget lines they have always made up for it in sound quality. Now im not saying Denon is bad because I own it's just HK combines better with Klipsch atleast for my ears. Take that for what it's worth. HK direct from ebay (refurbished units) offers a competitive price. Everything is on an individual basis your ears are probably different than mine so listening first is always a plus.

You can find a Yamaha RXV1700 for $565 on 6ave.com

Put in code afl1 and you can get an extra 5% off. I dont know anything about those other AVR, but I can pretty much guarantee the Yammie will be nicer. It only has 2 HDMI, but you said those others dont hae 3 like you want either.

I is 130w x 7 ch...MSRP is $1299. So you can get it now for over 50% off. It has been discontinued to make way for the RXV1800. But honestly I would go with that.

As a matter of fact I did, Just yesterday.