Sweet Thrift Store Finds

Lonelobo

Mark:
Appears you have experience with these. I never have heard one back in the day, but remember thinking the concept was sound (as it were). I was trying to explain to Ron the bucket brigade IC and such as I recalled it. Seems this is kind of a hybrid analog/digital device doing the same job as Sound Forge Noise Reduction but in hardware.

I told him that some loved it and others hated it and I suspected it might be similar to DBX in that success required a good ear and the ability to adjust to a precise impluse signature. I am equally certain that, as with software impulse noise reduction, the less noise it has to deal with the better. When a record is badly worn, there is more removed than left.

If someone had a mind to do it, I believe this type of hardware could be far superior today. It would be expensive, as I think you'd want a first rate phono preamp, followed by a 24/192 (perhaps switchable to 176.4 for clean downsampling) ADAC, followed by a digital DBX (expander, impact restoration, and impulse noise reduction).

1000.00 would be pretty good if properly implemented.

Just some musing...

Dave

I have a half dozen or so Grateful Dead bootleg LPs. A couple are on the "Pig" label which I believe was released by the band in the late 60s. These sound actually pretty good. The rest are a mixed bag. I don't think any are worth more than $10 or $15, even in NM condition. This might have something to do with the fact that there are about 800 gazillion Grateful Dead bootleg tapes circulating among Deadheads around the world. Not to mention the 8 or 9 hundred websites available to legally download shows, the 90 or 100 officially released live albums, the 30 or 40 studio albums or the 24/7 round the clock studio and live Grateful Dead music available on Sirius Radio.[:|][:|][:|]

This time it was Thrift World in North Richland Hills. Not much choice, but some keepers.

Columbia, Maynard Ferguson "M.F. Horn/3", EX/G+, 1973

Pacific Jazz, The Buddy Rich Big Band, "Swing Face", VG+/EX, 1967

RCA, Buddy Rich "A Different Drummer", NM/NM 1975 Reissue

Columbia, "Switch on Bach, I & II" I already have I, but this was a nicer copy, NM/NM both

Nonesuch, "Virtuoso Wind Concertos", Vivaldi/Fasch/Albinoni/Stamitz/Teleman, VG/EX

Audio Fidelity, "Bach Organ Music", Anton Heiller/Organist, VG+/NM,

Columbia Masterworks, "The Glory of Gabrieli" Music for Multiple Choirs, Brass and Organ, E. Power Biggs/Organist, The Gregg Smith Singers, The Texas Boys Choir, The Edward Tarr Brass Ensemble, Conducted by Vittorio Negri in the San Marco, Venice. I always liked Gabrieli and have very little of it. VG/NM

Mar27haul.jpg

Ok, heres part of a haul from a couple of days ago. All from one Goodwill.

TBC, Haydn "Missa Brevis":St. Joannis de deo:Mozart Laudate Dominum: Ave Verum, Texas Boys Choir and Columbia University Men's Glee Club, Sealed

Mercury Living Presence Mony HI-FI, Tchaikovsky 1812 And Bethhoven Battle Symphony, Op. 91 w/"Weaponry Courtes of U.S. Military Academy, West Point. , Cat MGD-19, NM/NM

Columbia, Andre Kostelanetz, "Grand Canyon Suite", NM/NM, Cat HS 11195,

Coumbia Sound of Genius, "One Hundred Men and a Prerfectionist" George Szell conducting the Cleveland Orchestra. NM NM I've heard good things about this one from Mallette.

Decca, "Songs, Verdi & Wagner, Sandor Konya-Tenor, Otto Guth-Piano, VG EX+

Angel, "The Duel between Liszt and Thalberg", Raymond Lewenthal, Piano. NM NM

Columbia Oddessy, Nathan Milstein, "Mendelssohn/Tchaidkovsky Violin Concertos" New York Philharmonic/Chicago Symphony Orchestra, NM NM

Columbia Masterworks, "William Tell Overture" and more, Ormandy & Philadelphia Orch. NM/NM

Audio Spectrum, Brahms Symphony No.1, London Philharmonic, Sir Adrian Boult-Cond. VG VG

Archive Produktion, Prima Misa In Nativitate Domini Nostri Jesu Christi, NM NM German Pressing and Printing

Turnabout Vox, Hummel: Piano Concerto in B Minor, Haydn:Piano Concerto in D Major, VG VG

1957 Haydn Society, "Sampler" G/VG

Here's a pic.

thrift2.jpg

I found quite a few at this store. 2nd part of haul in next post.

Part Two of the Haul:

RCA, Elgar"Cockaigne, Overture-Serenade for strings-Chanson de matin-Chanson de Nuit-Pomp and Circumstance Marches Nos. 1 & 4.Royal Philharmonic VG VG

Angel, "The New Spirit of Angel", VG+ NM

Angel, "Gershwin 'S Wonderful", NM NM

Turnabout Vox, Georges Bizet;Jeux D'Enfants/Emmanuel Chabrier;Trois Valses Romantiques/Cortege Burlesque/Souvenirs De Munich, VG/NM

Vanguard, Max Morath plays The Best of Scottt Joplin and other rag classics, 2 lp set EX/NM

Nonesuch, Piano Rags by Scott Joplin" , Joshua Rifkin NM NM

Nonesuch, Piano Rags by Scott Joplin, Vol II" , Joshua Rifkin NM NM

Turnabout Vox, "Musiques Royales a Notre Dame" Pierre Cochereau, Organ NM/NM

RCA RED Seal, Copland "Billy the Kid/Appalachian Spring" Pholadellphia Orchestra, Ormandy cond. NM/NM

Seraphim, Handel Water Music & Royal Fireworks. Royal Philharmonic VG/NM

Pathe, Planquette,"Les Cloches de Corneville" NM/NM, Don't know what this one is, French pressing and printing in linen jacket.

Columbia Harmony, Greeley Plays Gershwin, VG VG

Columbia, Bob James , "All Around the Town", 2 lp set, NM/NM

Here's the visuals:

thrift6.jpg

But Wait, there's more. "Next Slide, Please"

The last of the "Great Goodwill Giveaway"

Word, "Richard Purvis at the Grace Cathedral Organ", NM NM

Seraphim 2 lp set, Gold & Silver, Music of Vienna, Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, NM/NM

RCA Victrola, Tchaikovsky "Violin Concerto in D" Boston Symphony Orchestra, NM NM Mono Recording

Columbia Special Products, Mahler Symphpony No.1 in D Major, Minneapolis Symphony, Sealed

RCA Red Seal, Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto No. 2, Artur Rubinstein, NM/EX

Angel, Variations on a Nursery Tune, Piano Concerto No 1, Dohnanyi, NM NM

RCA Red Seal, Dvorak: "New World" Symphony, Boston Symphony, Fiedler cond. NM/NM

RCA REd Seal, Van Cliburn, The World's Favorite Piano Music, NM/NM

RCA Living Stereo, Van Cliburn, "My Favorite Chopin", VG/EX

RCA Red Seal, Schubert:Symphony No. 8/Mozart:Symphony No.41, Philadelphia/Ormandy, VG/EX

Musical Heritage Society, "The Organ Works of Johann Sebastian Bach", VG/NM

Somerset, Bach, The Majesty of the Luneberg Organ, G VG

last pic of the haul. Total spent; $46

thrift1.jpgthrift1.jpg

This brings us to today's finds from Plano, Tx.

Rounder, Buckwheat Zydeco, "Turning Point" NM NM

Nonesuch, J.S. Bach. Four Concertos for Harpsichords and Orchestra, NM/NM

Musical Heritage Society, 2 lp set, Johann Sebastian Bach, "The Four Orchestral Suites", Deutsche Bachsolisten, NM/NM

VanGuard, P.D.Q. Bach, Black Forest Bluegrass, John Ferrante, bargain counter tenor & The New York Pick-up Ensemble, NM NM

Not 1 but 2 NM 2 lp sets by Vanguard, :The Wurst of P.D.Q. Bach with Professor Peter Schickele

thrift5.jpg

More from Plano:

Musical Heritage Society, Handel, "Dixit Dominus/Coronation Anthem NO. 1" NM/NM

Angel, Mozart, "The Four Horn Concertos", Barry Tuckwell, Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fiellds, Neville Marriner, VG/NM

Musical Heritage Society, Mozart;"German Dances" VG/NM

Musical Heritage Society 2 lp set, Brahms "Complete Symphonies, Vol. II" Slovak Philharmoonic Orch., NM/NM

Musical Heritage Society, Vivaldi "Concerti, Opus 11 (Complete) NM/NM

Fantasy, Original Soundtrack to Amadeus, Academy of St. Martin-In-The-Fields, Nevill Marriner, EX+/NM

thrift4.jpg

Last one from today's Plano raid.

Flying Fish, Mason Williams "Fresh Fish" NM/NM

A&M, Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66, Greatest Hits, NM/NM

Vox Turnabout, The Top 15 of 1750, VG/EX

Tioch Digital, Pachelbel, Kanon, Albinoni Adagio, Adelaid Symphony Orch, from down under....G/EX

Musical Heritage Society, Rimsky-Korsakov Scheherazade, NM NM

Polydor, Sabicas-Rock Encounter w/Joe Beck, VG/EX+ Flamenco!!!!

Virgin, "The Flying Lizards", NM NM

thrift3.jpg

Total Store Damage: $35

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing really spectacular but some new music acquired during our Spring Break trip to Venice Florida to add to our collection. Sorry no picture. Maybe I'll add one later.

I figured it's about time to start checking the thrift stores for some old Klipsch speakers cheap.... probably won't find any but definitely won't without checking. Naturally the next stop is the used CDs and LPs. Hadn't really thought about buying LPs but when they're cheap and appear to be in very good shape.... it's hard to resist ...

A couple of CDs from an animal shelter thrift store (Ok, not vinyl, but new to me music bought from a thrift store on this trip)

The Rippingtons -
Black Diamond

The Rippingtons -
Topaz -
2.99 - 25% as older than 30 days 2.24

LPs from the Venice Salvation Army - 50 cents a disc - the vinyl all appeared to be in very good shape, very clean, no scratches though some of the covers do look pretty worn

Ten Years After -
Rock & Roll Music To The World -
Chrysalis 1972

No Alvin Lee and Ten Years After in our collection - I've liked what little I've heard on the radio so now I've finally got some.

Alvin Lee -
Rocket Fuel -
RSO 1978

Lionel Hampton -
At The Vibes Bandleader Series Vol. 1 -
Diplomat

How can one go wrong with Lionel Hampton? Very heavy and flat pressing. Solid.

ZZ Top -
Eliminator
- Warner Brothers 1983

Another guy who also picked up quite a few offered me a $1 so he could buy this one. But I figured everyone needs a copy of "Legs" Thankfully I got there a few minutes ahead of him.

REO Speedwagon -
Live - You Get What You Play For -
Epic 1977

2 disc live album that I already own but that is kind of beat up - before I discovered record cleaning (a Radio Shack filled with glass beads before moving up to the Discwasher) - almost bought the CD but it was butchered to fit on 1 disc. This is REO Speedwagon before they became mega pop superstars back in the day when they were a rock and roll band.

The Knack -
Get The Knack -
EMI 1979

One hit wonders? "My Sharona" Wasn't this remade as "My Corona" or something similar by Wierd Al? I think Chicago DJ Steve Dahl also had a version about the Ayatolla during the Iran hostage crisis in the late 70's ... hit you in the eye with a pie a tolla...

Grand Funk -
Shinin' On -
Capitol

Contains the Grand Funk version of the Loco Motion

Grand Funk -
We're An American Band -
Capitol 1973

... we'll come into your town and help you party down...

Grand Funk Railroad -
Born To Die -
Capitol 1975

Spiro Gyra -
Morning Dance -
MCA 1979

Spiro Gyra -
Spiro Gyra -
MCA 1978

Stanley Clark -
Time Exposure -
Epic 1984

(edit) very clean and minty woohoo, original owner apparently knew the value of a record cleaner - the others I've listened too while not tto bad have been noisy by comparison

The Honey Drippers -
Volume One -
Atlantic 1984

Foghat -
Live -
Bearville 1977

Little River Band -
Greatest Hits
- Capitol 1982

St Marks Thrift Shop

Otis Redding -
The Dock Of The Bay -
Volt 1968 - $3.00

Don't think we have any Otis Redding so this seems long overdue. Sittin' on the dock of the bay ...

Not from a thrift store, but Groomlakearea51 sent us home with the following

George Abdo and his "Flames of Araby" Orchestra -
The Art Of Belly Dancing
-

Thanks GMLA51. Said they have no use for it after Katrina's accident a few years ago. Included an instruction book which our oldest daughter did start to read or at least look over. Not so sure about the pictures Marshall requested ...

• 2 months later...

At $1 each to a local sorority thrift shop to benefit their hearing and speech programs on the way into work this morning

Seven - Seven

Kim Hill - Brave Heart

Paradigm 5 - Long and Apparent

Al Denson - Do You Know This Man

Bash 'N The Code - More Than Enough

Various - Polaroid presents Snapshots from Sony Music's Soundtrack For A Century Volume 2

"Girls Just Want To Have Fun" - Cyndi Lauper

"You've Made Me So Very Happy" - Blood, Sweat, And Tears ([:$] this may double my Blood, Sweat, And Tears collection)

"Carrie-Anne" - The Hollies

"Ring Of Fire" - Johnny Cash

"Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain" - Willie Nelson

"Evil Ways" - Santana

"Straight, No Chaser" - Thelonius Monk

"Lover Her Was Easier (Than ANything I'll Ever Do Again)" - Kris Cristofferson

"Mr. Tambourine Man" - The Byrds

"Hoe-Down From 'Rodeo'" - Leonard Bernstein conducting the New Your Philharmonnic

I think the normal CDs fall somewhere into the Contemporary Christian Music (CCM) category so not everybody's cup 'o tea but I like quite a bit of it. The collection has a few songs I like so for a $1 why not.

No big speakers for sale though....

This was my last successful thrift store find a couple weeks ago. All NM:

JJ Johnson, Dial JJ5, Columbia 6-Eye Mono

John Lewis/Chico Hamilton/Bill Perkins, 2 Degrees East, 3 Degrees West, Pacific Jazz Mono

Bob Brookmeyer, Trombone Jazz Samba, Verve Mono

Brubeck Jackpot, Columbia 2-Eye Stereo

Charlie Byrd Trio w/Bud Shank, Live At Brazillville, Concord Jazz

Bud Shank, I Hear Music, Liberty Records

Plus a few nice RCA Living Stereo shaded dog LPs

It was the best haul I've had in a while.

• 3 weeks later...

My latest from the local Goodwill

LPs $0.99 each

Pat Benetar - Crimes Of Passion

Al Stewart - Year Of The Cat

Christopher Cross - Christopher Cross

The Big Chill Soundtrack

I think they had a few show tunes, maybe The King & I and Cabaret and a couple of others on LP. Maybe should've checked them out for Amy - didn't check the condition.

CDs $2.99 each

Matthew Ward - Even Now ($1.49)

Pete Fountain - Dixieland Classics

Point Of Grace - Life Love & Other Mysteries

DC Talk - Free At Last

Various - Milllennium Party

• 4 weeks later...

No vinyl this time, just some CDs.... though Macho Man by The Village People looked like fun for 99 cents.... but was pretty beat up looking.

$2.99 and less CDs from the local Goodwill store:

Wayne Watson -
Water Colour Ponies
($1.99)

Margaraet Becker -
Grace
($1.49)

Phil Keaggy, Wes King, Scott Dente -
Invention
($1.49)

Amy Grant -
A Christmas To Remember

Various -
Grammy's Greatest Momemts Volume II

Ben E King -
Stand By Me

Carman -
I Surrender All

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't have time to look through the vinyl today but most looked pretty beat up and it was 90 degrees out and it'd be a couple hours before heading home CDS found on the cheap in Frankfort IN

From the local Goodwill, total $4.27

Lisa Stansfield -
Affection

Various -
New Wave Hits of the 80's Just Can't Get Enough
- a collection put out by Rhino, looks like it could be fun

Gary Numan -
Cars

The B-52's -
Private Idaho

The Romantics -
What I Like About You

etc

Chet Baker -
My Funny Valentine

From a thrift store called A Great Find - 27 cents

Wayne Watson -
To The Class of '99 - A Graduation Message From Wayne Watson

a 3 track CD, the 3rd a new recording of "Watercolor Ponies"

From Peddlers Alley - a used furniture and antique store - I know the owner so wanted to say high anyway - $10 for the lot

Twila Paris -
Where I Stand

Steve Green -
The Letter

Charlotte Church -
Enchantment

Bob Marley and The Wailers -
Reggae Fever Vol II

(there was also a greatest hits collection but mostly the same, this one more tracks including "Rebel's Hop" so our 13 year old daughter said get this one - this one from Canada, the other was from West Germany or something

The Alan Parsons Project -
Vulture Culture

(I have some Alan Parsons Project on vinyl, can't remember which ones though but not this one.... gotta play the albums more often ... first on CD ....
I Robot
and
The Best Of The Alan Parsons Project
were recent vinyl scores from the Pilgrimage)

Michael W Smith -
I'll Lead You Home

I'll have to go back when I've got more time as Dave says he's got over a 1000 albums upstairs and had a few out ... though he said most were old country but I'd hope for some jazz or rock.... but I've got a dozen or more newer vinyl acquisitions from this spring / summer that I've not yet gotten around to listening to..... gotta start that project to digitize and transfer to my mp3 player so I can listen at work....

• 3 weeks later...

Just a single CD.... but keeps this alive for some of the really cool stuff others score... (yeah, I guess I'm a rogue of sorts as most if not all other posts are vinyl)

From the Nearly New Store in Kokomo IN which is affiliated to The Crisis Center, stopped in for a quick look on my way to work. The box is pretty beat up and marked $3.00 on nasty gooey masking tape. Total was $1.07. I need to ask the real cost might've grabbed another 1 or 2 for a $1 each. Had some vinyl too but looked pretty beat up and didn't really have time to look.

Bobby Lyle -
Rhythm Stories