Sweet Thrift Store Finds

Lonelobo

seti,

You'd love the LPs I picked up yesterday at a sidewalk sale in front of a thrift store. 8 vintage belly dancing records, one Willie Bobo, an Andre Segovia, a Poco MFSL, and a SEALED Gordon Lightfoot MFSL from '78. Not bad for $9.60!

Yeah your right. I always buy Belly Dancing records. One out of 20 actually has good music. I like the ones from greek restauraunts. Nice scores.

All for $9.60. That's my kind of price. Gordon lightfoot sealed MFSL should be worth that and if the Poco MFSL is in good shape and even better deal. Of course I'm assuming you don't buy un-playable records and probably put back many more they'd have to pay you to take home or add to you shingle collection. My brother gave me a box like that....

Our library (at the college where I work), decided to get rid of all most of their LP collection. The majority of the LPs themselves are in really great condition, but the jackets are terrible, with library card envelopes taped or glued on the outside. At least they aren't moldy...

Bruce

At least they aren't moldy...

My brother was helping his girlfriend though maybe not yet his girlfiend at the time with her father's estate sale. There was a turntable and a receiver and/or amplifier and tuner. The electronics and TT I think sold for $220 so somebody may have gotten a bargain. And some LPs. So I told him I might be interested in some LPs IF THEY ARE IN VERY GOOD SHAPE.

So next time I see him he brings me a box of gnarly looking LPs that had been laying for a long time haphazardly on a basement pool table and then longer on the basement floor. Covers all have at least a bit of mildew or at least exposed to too much moisture. Some of the vinyl looks like it could be pretty good if the mildew and yes, maybe a litte mold can be thoroughly cleaned off. A couple of good titles, I think a Ray Charles' LP I already have.

A box full that I think Gregg has posted before they'd have to pay me to take home. Or maybe could donate to his LP shingle project if we can figure out a way to get them to him. Or maybe I should build one of the dogs a real dog house and use LPs for the shingles. Or use them as shotgun targets. PULL! I can almost here OB chuckling in my head.

• 2 weeks later...

Hit my local small town library thrift store for the first time. Came away with...

Posted Image

World Saxophone Quartet Plays Duke Ellington, NM

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, Iron Butterfly, F (my first copy)

The Melodic Stan Getz, VG

Sacred Songs, The Chuck Wagon Gang, G+

Dire Straights, S/T, NM

Heaven Help The Fool, Bob Weir, VG+ vinyl, F/P jacket

Bill Black's Greatest Hits, VG

Koln Concert, Keith Jarrett, F/G (should have looked closer)

A Palestrina Mass on Archiv, NM

Southern Winds, Maria Muldaur, NM

Waitress In The Donut Shop, Maria Muldaur, NM

...all for $5.50. Some are clean back-up copies of discs I already have (Maria), some are for comedy use (Iron Butterfly), and some are fantastic finds (World Sax Quartet, Bill Black, and The Chuck Wagon Gang).

Hit my local small town library thrift store for the first time. Came away with...

p9090002q.jpg

World Saxophone Quartet Plays Duke Ellington, NM

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, Iron Butterfly, F (my first copy)

The Melodic Stan Getz, VG

Sacred Songs, The Chuck Wagon Gang, G+

Dire Straights, S/T, NM

Heaven Help The Fool, Bob Weir, VG+ vinyl, F/P jacket

Bill Black's Greatest Hits, VG

Koln Concert, Keith Jarrett, F/G (should have looked closer)

A Palestrina Mass on Archiv, NM

Southern Winds, Maria Muldaur, NM

Waitress In The Donut Shop, Maria Muldaur, NM

...all for $5.50. Some are clean back-up copies of discs I already have (Maria), some are for comedy use (Iron Butterfly), and some are fantastic finds (World Sax Quartet, Bill Black, and The Chuck Wagon Gang).

Excellent pickups... Great price!!!

I look forward to the day that I get my TT rig fully operational. Those boxes of LP's that Gary so kindly shipped me years ago will undoubted give me evenings of entertainment sifting through those that will be kept and those that will be passed on to others....Yes

So Michael. Want to hear the rest of that still mostly virgin 180 gram cisco pressing of Aja?

Especially now that your Julbs are both eq'd.? My TT is in TV purgatory as are the Heresies... and the Tannoy's just collecting dust at the moment.

I have a doctor appointment on a ? afternoon in Indy I think 2:45 in Indy. maybe October 25th? An all day Migration Planning Workshop on October 7th.

Alea and I will probably be in Indy tomorrow to check out a Dell laptop tfor her her homeschooling that nobody in town actually has in stock. By far best price we've found is Sam's online. But party with bonfire at one of her girlfriends' home so got to head back pretty early. So not tomorrow even if you're bored silly though Satruday afternoon in September I'm thinking your gonna be busy and maybe gettin ready to make some music.

Note to self: Fry's has contact cleaner. Need some.

The Mashallized Heresy 1 Extremes in the parking lot for our second annual Corn Hole tournament at work Tuesday. It's that or Tannoy SRM 12B. I can repair the Heresies should a tweeter diapragm or two get blown. The Tannoys. Not sure parts are available. Might have been in Michael Kelsey's Lafayette

Playing mostly classic rock and the like witth a real amplifer (Carver 125x5, 180x2 so not a lot of power...) being fed by the RS mixer (you have one just like it) that did the powering last year as the JBL (HK labeled JBL) receiver turned into a 10 lb mute switch.

A lot I want to play not yet on CD. Can fiire Heresies out of back of Grand Caravan should it look like rain.

Picked up a couple of nice original jazz lps today. Charles Mingus's Pithecanthropus Erectus, and The Charles Lloyd Quartet's Love-in. Both in VG++/NM condition. Unfortunately, no turntable set up at the moment!

post-3580-1381966294076_thumb.jpg

Picked up a couple of nice original jazz lps today. Charles Mingus's Pithecanthropus Erectus, and The Charles Lloyd Quartet's Love-in. Both in VG++/NM condition. Unfortunately, no turntable set up at the moment!

If you ship 'em to me, I'll let you know how they sound.

;-)

If you ship 'em to me, I'll let you know how they sound.

;-)

Fini without a turntable!?! What happened did you tell SWMBO she could get rid of things you didn't care about and so she got rid of things she doesn't think you should care about? And a turntable is a lot easier to squirrel off to the local thrift store than a box of LPs. [*-)]

And then there's PM rushing in to help a brother in need. Gotta love this place.

• 1 month later...

From The Nearly New Store local thrift store last Tuesday Oct 25th

2011-10-25_KokomoNearlyNewStore.jpg

No idea about The Very Best Of Dr Buzzards Original Savannah Band except I think I have an LP from high school I don't remember much about but thought it's worth a buck plus tax. The Dave Grusin started at $1.99 but was less than a buck as it had been in the store for quite a while. Less than 2 bucks. I think Cinemagic is easily worth that.

• 4 weeks later...

For our 10th Anniversay a few years back Dawn and I ate at Rick's Cafe American at Union Station in Indianapolis, the Trotty Heck trio providing the entertainment. Trotty's vocalist was sick that night and David Newman was sitting in on saxophone.

The Best Of David Newman

2011-11-25_Exit76AntiqueMall.jpg

David Newman was Ray Charles' saxophone player

And from a pawn shop I've found some very good CDs at including Led Zeppelin Box Set in 2008 (RIP Rob) I found the following.

2011-11-25_DashForCash.jpg

• 1 month later...

A couple of CDs from the Carmel Indiana Goodwill on the way home from Alea's otologist appointment.

2012-01-04_Carmel_Goodwill.jpg

Trying to be good I only got 2. Passed on James Newton Howard And Friends, a Huey Lewis and the News greatest hits collection ( I think I have most songs on other CDs), a Loggins and Messina CD, and a John Hiatt CD. The James Newton Howard was from Sheffield Labs so probably should have at least gotten that one.

And I think I may have passed over Avalon by Roxy Music. All I have is a greatest hits collection which I really like. Along with some Bryan Ferry

• 2 weeks later...

Finally found my Jimmy Buffet CD. I think froma Goodwill. I think the one in Carmel? Or Indianapolis area anyway. I think in November. Or early December.

2011-11-Nov_IndyAreaGWns.jpg

Not a thrift store at all. But $10 saw at Menards with $10 rebate. Seems like a pretty good inexpensive saw so should cost 44 cents plust an envelope. Made in Denmark but that area's hard to read.

2012-01-15_Free_44cent_10_saw.jpg

Hit a local thrift store after haircut today. Missed the one across the street from my barber as they close at 4.

From the Helping Hands Store

2012-01-24_HelpingHandsKokomo.jpg

The Bette Middler which is very hard to read is Some People's Lives

The best comment I heard on American Idol watching with the family one night was when Simon Cowell told one of the contestants she wasn't quite what they were looking for but that they were very good and should continue likening the contestant to Bette Midler. Pretty high praise in my book.

Am I the only one that looks for new music (and equipment) on the cheap anymore? Or just the onlly one that will admit it.