Sweet Thrift Store Finds

Lonelobo

blsamuel, WOW, lots of stuff there! Most of the time all I find are LPs either without a dust jacket or that have been used to play frisbe with. Every now and then I stumble onto an LP worth having though.

I have seen some power amps there too but as I already have more than I can use, I am kind of picky about what comes home. The M80 was one that did make the cut. It is a GREAT amp, a little switch on the front forces it to run in class A, 25w worth but into a pair of Heresy 2s as sides, the amp dosen't know it has a load on it.... even at ear bleed levels. It sure is warm though when running in class A.

I am running a Fort'e 3 for my mains, also in class A.Does anyone know of a GOOD shop in the L.A. calif area? Shipping this thing back east could add up to a few pennies.

Cal,

I do find some decent CDs and LPs. 3 receivers so far but 2 with issues and have not tried the 3rd. Missed a Kenwood Basic amp the 100 WPC but did get the matching pre-amp though have not yet tried it out.

The company I worked prior to the previous we used to not so jokingly joke that if working there didn't leave to heavy drinking, nothing wojuld. The previous company which acquired to prior it was mandatory. Black and more so silver heroin are my addictions. Much less expen$ive in so many ways than alcohol or drugs.

Today's haul. All 1/2 off at the local Goodwill. Was good only checked the 1/2 off color as they had quite a few. Picked up some reading material as well.

2012-11-28_KokomoGoodwill.jpg

Other han new to me music my best acquisitions are Tannoy SRM 12B studio monitores (SWEET! [8][8][8][H][8][8][8] SCORE!), a nice Nakamichi CD changer, and maybe a decent run of the mill receiver. Some other fun stuff too including books.

2012-11-07_GlenbrookGoodwill.jpg

Dots Will Echo one of my favorite Boston Acoustics Up Close CD's ... may see how it sounds on Michael's Jub's or LaScalas on next visit

Anybody have any idea what the metal tool is used for? I got it to use a swagibng tool for dog cables but pipe vise works so much better and easier.

Well.... I pushed my luck by making a face when I got rung up for $20..... each! Still hard to beat. But they will be going head to head against my original hard-to-beat speakers. Bowers and Wilkins DM6's. *On the curb* for pickup of the house across the street!

I'm a fan of horns, but this will be my first chance to listen to horns outside of pro audio/ band amplification.

I hope they're happy in their new home!

Posted Image

... I've read that they might take well to rock...

2012-11-07_GlenbrookGoodwill.jpg

Dots Will Echo one of my favorite Boston Acoustics Up Close CD's ... may see how it sounds on Michael's Jub's or LaScalas on next visit

Anybody have any idea what the metal tool is used for? I got it to use a swagibng tool for dog cables but pipe vise works so much better and easier.

It is for crimping metal seals on steel strapping. In the Air Force I had to band pallets of bombs prior to them being shipped out as well as fixing broken bands on bombs being shipped into my base. I also had to re-band boxes after performing routine inspections on its contents. I never had an accident with it but steel strapping is very dangerous to work around, Leather gloves and eye protection are very important.

wow great score guys there have been some awesome pick ups lately! I second the use of that metal squeezing tool. it is for use on bending straps normally there is a metal collar that gets attached as reinforcement over were the straps overlap each other

We used to use those. We called it the banding machine. Looked like this when overlapped band was crimped.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMG-E_wnwj9BKK9SULykr

wow great score guys there have been some awesome pick ups lately! I second the use of that metal squeezing tool. it is for use on bending straps normally there is a metal collar that gets attached as reinforcement over were the straps overlap each other

We used to use those. We called it the banding machine. Looked like this when overlapped band was crimped.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMG-E_wnwj9BKK9SULykr

Yes, a bAnding machine, I have just ONE letter wrong on the above post and it changes the meaning of the whole thing!!![:P]

• 2 weeks later...

Not the thrift store, but Craigslist.

One pair of 1992 Forte IIs for the princely sum of 100 US dollars. Black. The grills / badges are perfect. The cabs are in good, not excellent shape with one or two minor dings on the bottom corners of the risers and a few marks here and there. I'd say an easy 8 out of 10.

The passives are fine and all drivers cooking nicely as I type this.

100 bucks! What's not to like? [:D]

• 1 month later...

IMG_2160.jpg

Nice console! Tubes or Solid State?

PM wins the best response prize. It's neither, full of nothing but air, and at least one drawer with a piece of drawer liner. Smooths out the resonances.

The vise on this is relatively new. The seller said it goes for about $130 but he paid $90. Has provisions to hold pipe well. The wheels are also replacements and a softer urethane similar he said to what is used in the local GMCH plant where he works. He last used it to store tools working as an airplane mechanic. He plans to replace with a much taller narrower tool chest to better fit in the machine shop he's building in his garage. Milling machine(s) etc. He also repairs Porshces and Ferrari's on the side. Not many, but a few of each including his all wheel drive Porsche turbo.

Planning to build a large machine shop with neighbor to house a 6 axis CNC capable of producing a V8 engine block from a billet of aluminum. He posted $200 OBO so I gave him a low ball $100 with disclaimer he should be able to get $200. Didn't want to give to neighbor for $175 but happy to sell for $200 even if I'd resell as I think with a bit of patience might be able to get more? The small box hangs off the main. I have some wheels I will probably attach to it and use separately. And have the keys for both.

No brakes on the wheels but should be able to chock if nothing else. I think simple small brake on one or two of the decent sized wheels I have that can work. or maybe not.

Solid State....

2012-08_SolidState.jpg

HLLY T Amp dwarfed by Nak CD changer. Could put in a tub amp I suppose but it is for the garage after all. Maybe a ruggedized CD player? Or mp3 player for background music would be more practical. Hang outdoor speakers off of the side. With portable CD player or mp3 player could be run by battery.