Heresy II to Heresy III

mfk

Ok, I did it, one pair of my heresy II's (year 2000) has been converted to H III's, few things I noticed.

1. Mount the new crossover upside down so you get more cable to each speaker.

2. Yep the HIII's have more bass, yep they are more efficient and because they are new drivers, the will last for another 20 years.

3. Mounting the new tweeter is a total PITA, the magnet on the new one is twice the size of the old one, getting in the slot for the tweeter took some work with a router. Totally not fun.

Is is worth it...I guess so.

Did you really have to use a router or could you have mounted the horn without the driver and put the driver on through the woofer mounting hole? I really can't imagine they would expect you to do modify the cabinet to install the upgrade.

Are you keeping the rest of the HII guts or selling them?

Bruce

Sounds to me like the overall sound quality didn't improve thnat much. Am I reading you correctly?

I have Heresys (Heresy I) that I bought from Speakerfritz last summer. I promised myself not to make any changes to my system for up to one year to get a fair evaluation.

It's only natural that the speakers get the blame.

At some point in time the engineers at Klipsch had to have Heresys in a listening room with the right acoustics, amplification and everything else. I truly believe if we heard them in that enviorment we would be blown away. And this is true for Heresy I, II and III. And of course a lot of other speakers.

In the meantime, I'm really enjoying them and getting familiar with their sound. Optimizing the whole listening enviornment could be very difficult. But as time goes on I'm starting to realize everthing counts. Especially the room.

Maybe you need to give them some time. Or maybe something else is not right.

LTCMDR Mark Kaufman (non Klipsch employee, but thread starter, and cool Heritage fan) met Mr. Mark Kauffman (Klipsch employee and Heritage maven) today via telecom. We're checking the H III wiring bundles to make certain that they are manufactured as ordered and that appears to be the case per Hope staff. Wiring bundles are carefully calculated so that there is enough wire to make out-of-cabinet-connections without having so much slack wire that vibrations within the cabinet are possible.

What we need HELP with is if anyone out there has Heresy II's, please measure the location of your input cup. We have a feeling that some may have been lower (like Mr. Kauffman's above) such that the carefully calculated wiring bundle will not reach the tweeter motor. Please measure from the bottom of your Heresy II cabinet to the bottom of the jack cup flange and report here.

If anyone has performed the H II to H III modification, we'd enjoy hearing your comments on the sonic improvment of your Heresy speakers also!

Thanks guys! [Y]

Michael

Heresy's are a different speaker on TUBES .......... They come to life on tubes ........... Solid State needs mega-power to match them ..... and bottom line here ............. if Heresy's were born in 1957 what solid state gear did they use? ... I believe they were made to run tubes .... so keep your [bs] ... that's my opinion, like it or not !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nope, the sound quality is totally Klipsch and bloody awesome. I spoke to some of the Klipsh personnel today, and told them what I had done, so the instructions to install may change a little as a result. Turns out the magnet on the new tweeter is 3x the size of the old one, so making the hole larger was the way to go.

What really separates out Klipsch is the level of support they provide, and after speaking to the Engineers on the project, they agreed with what I had done. Now, I have a really kick *** pair of HIII's, yes they are now considered HIII's, totally cool. The HII's were really good, these are better.

Things I ran into that I was not crazy about:

• Having to widen the tweeter hole was a little task, so I used a drill with a grinding bit, took about 15 minutes, totally made life easier, especially for a guy who wears an XL boxing glove (me).
  • I had to mount the crossover cups upside down so I had enough lead wire to get to the tweeters. No biggie, I never see the backs.
Truthfully, it was totally worth it, I now have what I consider to be a much more powerfull set of speakers. Taking apart the tweeter to get the new magnet in would have been less than a good idea considering the size of my hands. The directions were pretty good for the most part, but hey, I am considered a 'beta tester' and there are a few things to be worked out, but in the end, it was worth it.

It was fun talking to Mark (Klipsch maven and Engineer) and corresponding with Mike. Mike has a valid point. If my input cups were cut low, that would explain the wiring snafu. All in all, this has been a really good experience, the Klipsch team responded with due alacrity. Of course it was Mike that made me aware of the upgrade, and now that all works, I am good with the final product, Mark did a heck of a job revamping what was already a great product.

Now I have the guts of 2 H II's so I have to figure out whether to go for a lilscala, or just make a center channel with one set. I had contemplated the lilscala, and one of the guys on the forum can do them, but I think I should go local so I can avoid huge shipping charges. There is a place around here that does custom cabinetry and they are aching to do this. Honestly a center channel might just fit the bill.

Thanks Mike and thank Mark for the support. To all HII owners I have three words - "go for it"

Heresy's are a different speaker on TUBES .......... They come to life on tubes ........... Solid State needs mega-power to match them ..... and bottom line here ............. if Heresy's were born in 1957 what solid state gear did they use? ... I believe they were made to run tubes .... so keep your PWK BS Button ... that's my opinion, like it or not !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go get 'em Bucky.:)

• Moderators

2 5/8" 1989 My little Buddy's, I was moving them to measure and and he said, " hey paw-paw, are they hooked up right ", pointing to the 2 wires going to the red and black terminals, I said yes and he said, " maby I just need better wires " ! [:o]

Oh no, Marshal I think he is hearing the little voices, you created a monster ! [;)]

Mike, the more I listen to them, the more I really like them, I'm taking the guts of one of the HII's to make a center channel, does it have to be apx 2.0 cubic feet in volume, my version, a little longer, which puts less psi on the tv almost makes sense, but it is slightly larger in terms of cubic feet, it is about 2.2 cubic feet.

Mike, tell Mark he did a heck of a job on the parts for the rebuild, in spite of the two gotcha's it was totally worth it. I have one really dumb question, how do I clean my grille clothes. Or can I order new ones ?

Since I have HIII's now, I figure the clothes should be as pretty as the cabs and as awesome as the sound.

(Mike, by the way, the correct abbreviation for Lieutenant Commander is LCDR, but it's all good with me.)