Klipschorn or La Scala?

neo33

I need help in deciding which one I should get (my preference is the La Scala). There's an excellent pair of La Scala on eBay for $1,000 and a mint pair of Klipschorn for $2,500. Are these prices reasonable? I don't think I can afford a new pair so I'll have to settle for a used pair. I will be driving the Klipschorn/La Scala with the Moondogs. Any help is appreciated.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I would guess the first question would be do you have the corners, and is your choice of the LaScala over the Klipschorn based on what your ears hear, or have you not heard one or the other ? If you heard both and like the LaScala better, there's your answer.

I would think those prices are OK.

Yeah KHorns if you have the corners.

I have run my La Scalas with a pair of Moondogs(Marvel has the Moondogs now) with great results!

Have you heard La Scalas and KHorns? If yes then I would go with the one you liked better depending on if you have corners and how much you want to pay.

I've had both speakers, Neo. My Klipschorns were 1986 models and the La Scalas were new. I currently have a brand new pair of Belles. The Khorns are great speakers and if you have the money, buy them if they are in good condition. The Khorns offer nearly full range sound without the need for a sub woofer. In saying that, the Khorns can sound a little loose in the bass in certain rooms and with certain music. The bass is not that 'tight' - but I believe this minor problem has been rectified in the later versions of the Klipschorn.

The La Scalas on the other hand are tighter in the bass - maybe because they don't go as low. When playing certain music - like most jazz ensembles and orchestral music, and most modern rock, the difference in bass response between the Klipschorns and the La Scala/Belle is not that apparent. With other music featuring extended bass - the lack of extension is quite noticable. You can cure some of that extension problem by slotting the La Scalas into the corner (just like the Klipschorns).

I have solved my bass extension problem with two Rel subwoofers. Each sub is slotted into a room corner on the same wall as my speakers. I believe this combination offers near Klipschorn sound at considerably less cost than my buying a brand new pair of Klipschorns. At least that's what I tell myself... Maybe I'll change my mind in a few months and buy a new pair of Klipschorns just for the hell of it.

I drive my Belles with a Single Ended amplifier (around 18 watts per channel). My amplifier is a little underpowered, but at lower spl's, it's quite pleasent to listen to.

Edwin.

• Moderators

Price of khorns a tad on the high side ............

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on what they are. If those are factory teak, rosewood, etc., that price is a song and you should be all over it. If they are raw that someone did a very bad job of staining with beat up cabs then they are way, way to high. Do you have any more details about the Khorns? Are they close enough for easy local pickup?

I echo the comments about having the corners. What kind of music do you like? Do you like good deep bass? If you have the corners, don't want to run a sub, and want an good solid bass then your choice has to be the Khorn. The mid and tweeter are identical on both, but the Khorn gives you the whole package.

I have owned both as well, and I can tell you that if you have two good corners there is no question that you should get Khorns, especially if they are close and in good condition.

If you have the SN of the Khorns that will help a lot.

Travis

I can't believe someone has some KCBR for a BIN of $2999. That is way too high. Nice shape, but I would want to put a veneer on them and pretty them up more.

And my LaScalas sound great with the Moondogs. I only use for two channel music, and feel absolutley no need for a sub. I don't even have the LS in corners right now. either. Khorns would be even better, but I am very pleased with my system.

I have listen to both speakers. The La Scalas don't have to be in the corner so placement is more flexible. Although the bass is deeper on the Klipschorns, it is somewhat "loose" as edwinr pointed out. I don't have very good corners so the placement of the Klipshorns might be difficult. The room that has good corners is a tad small for the Klipschorns. Bass is not a problem for me that's why I like the La Scalas better. Here are the eBay listing for both set of speakers.

La Scalas: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170193085393&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=007

Klipschorns: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=360023690946&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=023

• Moderators

Well based on your corner situation then I would say I agree with your thinking about going with the LS's. You can't tell anything form those photos of the LS's other then they have the preferred AA networks. $1,000 in good condition would not be a bad price, but those are quite a ways for you. That is a pretty tall starting bid he has on there. I would want to see a whole lot more photos of the top, front, sides, etc. I sold a pair, in good, not great or excellent condition, for $1,000 in one day two years ago. There are plenty around, and if you wait a pair will pop up in the Bay Area, and if you are willing to pay $1,200 you will most likely get them. You will spend more then that in gas up and back for a pair of unknows.

Travis

I am willing to spend more for the Klipschorns if you guys can convince me with good reasons; otherwise, I will just stick with the La Scalas. Is the price for that pair of Klipschorns reasonable? Sacramento is about 2 hours away from me.

• Moderators

Well, what is the situation with the corners? What size room, how far apart will the speakers go? You said the corners were not the best in your situation, if you don't have two good corners the choice is easy, go with LS. If you have two good corners, the choice is easy as well, Khorns. I think a lot of people will tell you they are very happy with there LS's, and I was too. I am trying to remember every seeing someone post an opinion where they said, all things being equal, they prefered LS's over Khorns. I am sure someone, somewhere has on this forum has, but there will be 200x that many saying that LS side by side with Khorn there is no comparison in sound between the two, with the Khorn rated as having a much better overall sound experience. However, where space is more limited, and where you don't have two good corners, most folks are going to say LS/Belles are the way to go.

The price on those Khorns in Sac could be very reasonable. They are close enough to you that is for sure. You need to send the seller a message asking what the S/N are on them, and what networks. The S/N will tell you when they were made, and also what the finish is. They appear to be raw birch that were stained by the original owner, which is common and perfectly ok if the person did a good job of staining them. It is difficult to tell in the photo, they could also be another factory finish.

Travis

Do you have a quality subwoofer?

I would opt for the LaScalas. as the the only thing the Khorns add is a bit of LF extension, but still not enough that you would not want a quality subwoofer that can match the sensitivity of either model.

The LaScalas paired with a GOOD sub will offer you EVERYTHING the KHorna and sub will offer, as the sub covers the lower 2 octaves much better than either model - where all of the difference exists between the LS and the KHorns, rendering the difference moot - thus affording you better performance along with more flexibility with placement.

So I would opt for the LaScalas, and if you have the funds available to otherwise buy the KHorns, take the balance and apply it to a good sub, and come out far ahead.

The room that has good corners is only about 12' x 16' which I think is too small for the Klipschorns. I am not sure if I need a subwoofer (if I go with either set of speakers) since bass is not a problem. In my listening experience with both set of speakers, I think the bass on the La Scalas is tighter then the Klipschorns. So I take it that the La Scalas will do just fine for me and I should wait for a good pair coming my way?

Here is the response I got from the seller of the Klipschorns: "I
do not want to pull them from the wall to get the serial numbers. They
were bought new in Berkley at an audio shop, they have been in two
homes since then. The finish is original and dead mint, they look like
new. The finish is walnut. They have a T-35 tweeter and a Klipsch mid
driver on a metal horn and a 15" woofer. They play perfect. If you win the auction, you can listen to them before you take them home."

Strange that he did not want to give me the serial numbers. I would think that moving the speakers side way to get the serial number is not such a big deal.

• Moderators

The room that has good corners is only about 12' x 16' which I think is too small for the Klipschorns. I am not sure if I need a subwoofer (if I go with either set of speakers) since bass is not a problem. In my listening experience with both set of speakers, I think the bass on the La Scalas is tighter then the Klipschorns. So I take it that the La Scalas will do just fine for me and I should wait for a good pair coming my way?

If they can go on the long (16') wall that will be fine. GaryMd has his about 10' apart and they sound very, very nice, but that is a specifically dedicated 2 channel room.

What is the size of the other room that does not have corners?

The "metal" midrange horns are 401, as opposed to the 400 which are composite/glass. Mine did not have 401's, and many on here prefer those to the 400's.

The finish description is a problem. There are people who have owned Khorns for years and will tell you they are "walnut" or "mahogny" or whatever. However, what they really are is birch plywood that has been stained by the original owner in a walnut color or a mahogny color, etc. Again, that is no big deal, it is very common, and some are done very, very well. The factory also made walnut veneer models that were either "oiled" or "laquer". the SN will tell you for sure what it is without actually seeing it with your eyes. BR in the S/N means Birch raw, and if it does not look like raw pine anny more it means they were stained by someone along the way. If the say WO, they are oiled walnut, and WL is walnut, laq.

If they are oiled walnut, in good great shape, no dings, chips or gouges, they are worth the BIN of $2,500. If they are raw birch with a good stain job then 2 to 5 hunded less. Someone has a running log of what recent sales have gone for on ebay.

Travis

The "metal" midrange horns are 401, as opposed to the 400 which are composite/glass. Mine did not have 401's, and many on here prefer those to the 400's.

Actually, the 400 is the metal one... the composite is the 401.

• Moderators

Actually, the 400 is the metal one... the composite is the 401.

Thanks, I should know that, I have a brand new pair of 401's in the garage in a box. You would figure I would have gotten it by now.

Marvel, don't you have some historical prices on these?

Travis

Go for the Khorns if you have the chance and the cash. I have had a number over the years (Heresy, Corns, LS & Forte) and the Khorn to me goes deeper but also has the height to make things seem more 'real' on the sound stage. I have built a tractrix lens to sit in place of the top hat and it is just magic. My room is a fraction bigger than yours with 9' ceiling and I have put the Khorns on the smaller wall but have added a fair bit a room treatement to tidy up the loose bottom end. My seating position is back where I have been able to tune in the deeper bass notes (35-40hz). When you get there you just can't stop getting goosebumps and that is my test.

Good Luck