Speaker Wire � yet another question � very important though

DU73

I need your help yet again Klipschkings

I only completed my Klipsch reference 35’s a few weeks ago, using Monster Cable for the fronts and centre (cable is about 10 years old – used on previous HT system) – should this be replaced due to age.

However – the wire that runs through my ceiling and walls to my RS35’s is the cheap rubbish that you basically get free from lesser speaker manufactures, you know the ones the red and black wire.

Question: Do you think is it worth the money and time to invest and install monster cable to the surrounds. I would be looking at a fair few metres for the surrounds, maybe 30 to 40 metres I would think to run it through the walls.

Would there be much difference do you think in sound and performance??

That is excellent information - thanks mate

I think I could go the 16 gauge as the surrounds are about 5 metres (16 feet) from receiver, but by the time I run it through the walls and top of ceiling then who knows, but I can't imagine it will be 24 metres (80 feet) per speaker.

Do you think it is worth it though? - will I notice better sound and performance. If so then I will buy and install

For in-wall applications, you should use CL3 rated UL approved cable for safety and to conform to electrical codes. 12 or 14 gauge should be plenty big enough to transmit musical transients without diminishing them. Undersize cable can reduce the "punch" of some music and effects.

You can get it here for $.55 a foot for 14 gauge and $.75 a foot for 12 gauge. 100 feet (30m) of the 12 gauge is only $68.99.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMaster.cfm?category=KL3%20Kable

As for your other questions, the metal in cable doesn't really age, but the insulation could eventually become dry and brittle. If your Monster cable is still working and not looking aged, it should be okay. For the surrounds, "good enough" cable should sound as good as "premium" cable, since most of the detail will come from the front channels.

Menards has 16 guage Monster Standard speaker cable by Monster Cable. It has a white jacket and the red and black jackets also cover the wire from there.. It is CL-3 / FT4 rated and states it meets THX specs of runs of 24 feet for fronts and 48 for the surrounds. (Which was well within my runs.)

I bought it on sale at Menards (Hardware store) on 75 foot spools. (Sorry, I forget the price, but it was very competitive and a LOT cheaper than something from my Hi Fi dealer.) It is flexible, easy to bend it where you need it, with the proper tool easy to strip and has enough wire to make a good connection to your amp and speakers. Like others have stated, buy a little more than you need and you will be fine. In my case of split La Scala's it helped a lot! I needed to go from the tops to the bottoms... And always good to have a little extra anyhow! hehehehehe

I am sure you can spend 5,000 for a 10 foot run of cable, but really there has to be some sanity at some point. Some consider audio speaker cable is all hype and a lot of snake oil in merchandising it. In this case I seriously doubt the copper will turn green and the jacket is not good enough for the install. If this is behind the wall by all means follow the fire codes for the proper kind.. If just on the floor go ahead and knock yourself out on a 20,000 run of wire if that floats your boat. I would spend the couple hundred to do it right, even if it cost 500 and keep the 19,500 myself!! (There is a lot of equipment and speakers you can buy for 19,500!!!!)

You want to buy good, but not get too crazy!

Use 14-4 in wall cable. At the surround wall box you can either twist two of the four wires together or just use two, say the red and black. If you should have future problems with a wire you can simply use the other two wires (yellow-green?).

Keith

I am an expert in speaker wire after reading all that from the Web link - thanks Wrench that was excellent stuff.

You would all be pleased to know that I brought 16 Gauge speaker wire today.

I cant wait to install it now.

My Klipsch should sound even better, if that is possible!!

This is all you will need to know about speaker wire.

Speaker Wire

After reading this link, I think it answers another question I was to post on speaker wire which was; does using different gauge wire in combination (as in the same run) matter? AND what effect does splicing have (either same gauge to same gauge or different gauge sizes? From the linked article, it doesn't seem to matter at all. Is that correct?

In other words, splicing 16 gauge to 24 gauge would have no appreciable effect on sound quality?

This is all you will need to know about speaker wire.

Speaker Wire

After reading this link, I think it answers another question I was to post on speaker wire which was; does using different gauge wire in combination (as in the same run) matter? AND what effect does splicing have (either same gauge to same gauge or different gauge sizes? From the linked article, it doesn't seem to matter at all. Is that correct?

In other words, splicing 16 gauge to 24 gauge would have no appreciable effect on sound quality?

All it has to do with is resistance.

Given that wire is cheap, I'd avoid splicing. I guess if you can't avoid it, then it's kind of a moot question. Maybe something in a wall you’re stuck with or a long run to speakers with attached wires from Satan. Otherwise, if splicing was good, everyone would share things like I have 4,345 splices in a 1/2 meter cable and there would be a cottage industry offering the latest and greatest splicer. Then, everyone could argue about whether the sound improvement is imaginary or real, yet no know human device would detect any quantifiable difference. Dog's would detect effects beyond the human hearing range, hence you could buy a state of the art detection device at any local pound or humane society. Upgrade certified models would become available from specialty breeders. Marketers would offer milk bone splice kits. Sensor wags could surely be construed as being indicative of a good sound even if beyond the range of human hearing.Splice no nice, but theoretically it’s probably like welding. A good splice is probably better than a crappy wire. I’d still avoid it.

hi speaker wiire

My feelings about speaker is many.To start if you have as many amp,s as channels in your system place the amp by the speakers and use a very high H,Q wire as you can spend on the wire,becouse that is the sound you will hear from the wire.And if you are useing one unot for all your channels,keep this is mine the wire is a bottle neck for the power of your amp it has to go thru.For myself used no less then 16 ga. wire for short run with a very fine wire ga..There many sites that will show you the loss of power as your wire run,s get longer.As the power goes thru the wire the amp will run warmer if the wire is to small for that speaker run and you should all way,s keep the L and R channels the same length .You may way it it takes longer to thru a long run then a short one becouse timing is every thing .So i hope helped in the understanding of speaker wire.

jazzmansound and good luck on your new system