Shopping HDTV

colterphoto1

Yup, the time has finally come for me to balance my system a bit better and step up in the video world. The old Sony 35" tube has great color, but on movies I'm only watching 12" in height. Besides, Phillips copped me a Toshiba HD DVD from Costco the other day with 7 discs for only $80! Plus I'm tired of the rabbit ears (yes I know....) and the bad reception. I rarely watch TV anyway but the occasional Simpsons, game or movie is nice.

My needs are simple. Great color and contrast, HDTV tuner, audio outs for receiver (because I don't do Sat or CATV) largest screen in narrowest cabinet (speakers on bottom if possible).

If you've been to my place, you know the nook between the fireplace and garage door is where TV and Bello are? I have no more than 41" if I move the rack all the way over within 2" of door. That's the max unless I pull the screen out a few inches and let it sit partway in front of the stone mantle.

Heading out to the 96th St. HH Gregg tonight (Roger- are you in?) - I think I'm preferring the Samsung brand. Seems that the 42" format has left us and it's 40" or 46", right?

Suggestions?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sony W series or XBR4 series. These are LCDs. I have the W and it is at least tied with the best I've seen for picture clarity, color, contrast.

Sears had a much better sale price than best buy when I got mine, so shop around for sale prices (if not to buy at the store with the lowest price, then for price matching).

No matter which brand and type you get, it must have full 1080p. I have Samsung plasma with video spark problem. The tech said the Y board is bad and so far 8 weeks had passed and he hasn't got me back on the repair. Other people said their samsung work great. I would not buy another samsung.

Michael, i have the sony 46 xbr 2 lcd 1080 and my kid has the samsung 52 1080. both flat panels hanging on the wall. i prefer the sony because it has no reflection. the samsung and also all the plasmas i've seen have a lot of glare in the screen.

edit: HH Greg here in cincy has an ad today. JVC & Toshiba both have 42" tv's

No matter which brand and type you get, it must have full 1080p. I have Samsung plasma with video spark problem. The tech said the Y board is bad and so far 8 weeks had passed and he hasn't got me back on the repair. Other people said their samsung work great. I would not buy another samsung.

Must have full 1080p???? With the space he has to use, I would think he's going to go 50" or below. Unless he's sitting on top of the TV he won't see the difference between 1080 or 720 except in his wallet. He's interested in contrast (which he should be) and there's no better than the new Pioneer Kuro's in that department. Their 720 sets bested a slew of 1080 sets in a head to head comparison of picture quality. (the magazine's at home or I'd give you model #'s and makes). I'd advise Michael to spend a few days over at the AVSforum and do some reading. There's tons of information there. Buying a screen just because it says 1080p makes no sense to me.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/PlasmaTVs+Monitors/PioneerTVs/ci.PDP-4280HD.Kuro?tab=B

Thanks for all the advice guys. I just got back from northside Hooters. Roger met me at HH Gregg and we were greeted by Matt Hittle. Matt is the son of Klipsch Midwest Sales Rep Mark 'the Hit Man' Hittle. Great guy, he informed me quickly and accurately with no pressure. I don't like pressure. Later in the presentation, he asked if I needed cables- Roger looked at me, I looked at Roger- we had a quick chuckle. Seriously though, great young man, good salesman, no b.s.

After some deliberating and giving Roger express permission to 'call me an idiot if I'm doing the wrong thing', I made a purchase tonight. Amazing for me because everything except Hondas gives me nightmares trying to make a decision. [go ahead and call me an idiot for not getting a bigger set or 1080, I don't care]

I settled on this beauty:

http://www.hhgregg.com/ProductDetail.asp?SID=AE06FCDA37E44F449A37102C5CA8B864&ProductID=19450#page

Samsung 42" Plasma 720P for only $999!

Why:

Moving from LCD to Plasma had better blacks and more vivid colors to my eye. I also like the speed of screen updates and the Plasma had less 'jitter' or 'artifacting' or whatever you call it. Hey don't blame me I'm a speaker guy, mmk?

I don't mind the glossy screen because my living room is dark, the set will be enclosed in a nook protected from window light, and I work during the day anyway. The LCD's were available in 40" (a bit small) and 46" (wouldn't fit my space), so the Plasma decision allowed me to get 42".

As some have mentioned, with my non-cable viewing habits I'm okay with 720P. Yes I have the Toshiba HD DVD that is antiquated, but have a few movies I will watch on that format. Most viewing will be HDTV over airwaves, standard DVD, or VHS (because I still have a good tape library), so allowing the Yamaha or Samsung to upconvert to 720P will be a substantial upgrade. I don't have the money for Blue-Ray or the expensive movies for that format. Seems I'm always a step or two behind due to budget, but oh well.

I'm planning a basement HT in the future anyway, so don't need super huge screen for this room. The 4 Coaster recliners are only 11 feet (screen to eye) away so that resolution will be fine. This particular set fits exactly in the space I have available and it helps that the speakers are underneath the screen (saving 3" off of other models).

If my decorating (?) or viewing tastes change, the 42" isn't too large to go in the bedroom or on the wall in the office in the future. For the money I think I did ok. Roger agreed to come over tomorrow night and help with the equipment shuffle. He's a good pal!

So, did I do ok?

Michael

He did not mention he stabbed me at Hooters... Seriously... With a knife!

I had to run to the bathroom and was bleeding!!!

Course it was a small cut, but had me nervous for a while.. His eyes must of been on our waitress... and I am not kidding here... Tall, long blonde hair and really big ( o ) Y ( o ) and a 10+ easy!!! LOL And the food was pretty good as well tonight!

At one point, she was carrying my bill back holding a couple of drinks for another table.. and my bill was in a good place.. mmmmm if only.....(dreamland).Snap out of it Roger... LOL OK I am back....hahahahahaha

It is kinda funny. You get to a point you do not even flirt with women anymore.. Your married or whatever. Your nice, but do not slobber over yourself.. I think women who are used to a lot of attention, go crazy and try and play the game even more with you? OK, Can I then flirt with him and see what he does? She was nice, polite, and I think def flirted and had fun with us.. We all had fun! LOL She got a good tip! (Which is the point!)

OK, the HDTV he picked out is beautiful.. Can't wait to set it all up friday night and see a huge smile on sir Michael's face!