Any Technics TT experts?

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of the SL-M2 turntable? Is this in the same league at the 1200 series? I have an opportunity to pick one of these up in excellent condition for $225. Does this seem like a fair price? It looks like they sold for $400 new (in the 70s). I've provided a link to a photo below.

I've been looking at the Music Hall MMF-5, but decided an old direct-drive tank may actually suit my needs for spinning the occasional record. Would I be better of just going with a newer table? Any advice would be much appreciated.

~Gary

http://www.vintagetechnics.info/turntables/slm2.htm

post-25126-13819361235926_thumb.jpg

I have no experience either with that particular deck, but it reminds me a lot of the Denon DP-62L I used to own (a superb 'table in its own right that I regret having to sell due to financial woes). It looks to be of the same league (or better) than the 1200 series IMO, and in par with my dad's old SL-1700MK2 I own now but without the wood-style plinth or straight tonearm. My only question is the headshell on the SL-M2...is it a P-mount only, or does it accept standard cartridges as well?

I don't know if $225 is high for that model or not, but if the SL-M2 is indeed in excellent condition, then go for it! A few years ago my brother bought a brand new MMF-5 to replace the SL-1700MK2 he was borrowing from my dad, and as much as he wanted to like it, the belt-drive deck did have noticable wow and flutter with steady/sustained piano and organ tones. As slight as it was, it was still noticable nonetheless, so he ended up selling it! I'm not dissing BD 'tables, but I think you'll find the Technics rock-steady as opposed to the Music Hall or Pro-Ject (which require an optional speed box for steady rotation).

I'd say go buy it.[Y]

Jim,

Based on the info I could find, this headshell is a "P-mount" only. I believe this design was intended to allow a quick change of the headshell. From what I understand, this concept did not take off and I may be very limited on cartridges. I really like this table, but don't want to end up with a $200+ paper weight. Technics tables seem to be known for their interchangable parts. Could this arm be replaced with an "S" style arm for a 1200 table???

I admit I don't know squat about turntables. I would like something somewhat high-end that requires little maintenance. I don't play a lot of records, but want a nice reliable table for when I spin the occasional vinyl.

Check Needle Doctor for P-mount cartridges. There are some on this page:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Phono-Cartridges?search=P-mount

The Technics decks have a reputation of working for a long, long, time. The SL-M2 is very rare and that looks like a good example of one. I'd grab it and worry about arm changes way down the road, if ever.

Jim,

Based on the info I could find, this headshell is a "P-mount" only. I believe this design was intended to allow a quick change of the headshell. From what I understand, this concept did not take off and I may be very limited on cartridges. I really like this table, but don't want to end up with a $200+ paper weight. Technics tables seem to be known for their interchangable parts. Could this arm be replaced with an "S" style arm for a 1200 table???

I admit I don't know squat about turntables. I would like something somewhat high-end that requires little maintenance. I don't play a lot of records, but want a nice reliable table for when I spin the occasional vinyl.

I just glanced at NeedleDoctor's P-mount inventory, and there are lots more P-mount cartridges out there than I realized! If it were me, I'd check out a P-mount from Grado and/or Ortofon, but I'm sure all the audio-technica and Stanton carts are equally as good...whatever specs and price range you're wanting to go with will be more than adequate for your use (a maintenance-free deck for the occasional spinning of wax that still sounds fantastic)!

I wouldn't worry about changing out the tonearm...with as many P-mounts that are still available today, there's no reason to IMHO. It's the arm that's designed for that 'table, which looks very substancial, well engineered, practical, and is also aesthetically pleasing to look at (I personally prefer a straight arm like the model on my Denon DP-62L to an S-shaped arm)!

I don't know for sure, but I think such places as KAB for parts (http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/) and TurntableTech for repairs (http://www.turntabletech.com/home.htm) will keep even the somewhat rare SL-M2 from ever becoming a $200 paper weight! I still think you'll do quite well with the Technics, but it's your choice.