One more time, with FEELING...

Mallette

Bruce, thank you. I had to go around the barn phoning someone, and your step would have saved some time. Plus I wouldn't have ended up with a bunch of blue arrows on my desktop (I'll use your method to save them elsewhere). I've never developed that degree of base knowledge on how computer thingies work.

Larry

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage or I get taken to a Mallette.org Genealogical Tree Under Construction website when I place ftp.mallette.org into my address bar.

ftp://ftp.mallette.org

Dave

PS - Interesting. When I checked that linked, IE changed it to "http" I edited it in the address bar, refreshed, and it went to the files just fine.

Clicking on either of the above links does not work for me. I get the "Genealogical blah blah blah" too.

However, typing in the address worked just fine.

Thanks for offering these up Dave! Having some friends over for a listening session in a couple weeks. Some of these will be on the playlist. [:D]

My pleasure, Strabo. Audiophiles are rare enough, but transcriptophiles are even more so. My friends and family enjoy, to some degree, but don't really "appreciate." I get pretty lonely...

As Microsoft, one can pretty much expect their "guesses" at what you want to be 180 degrees off.

Dave

This weekend I will take these pieces down. I have continued interest in comments/critique from those who've downloaded but not yet commented.

As I mentioned, I am limited to 550 mb and have 4 sites on the server. Space is a premium. I may put up a poll list of other stuff to see who would be interested in what and put some more stuff up if anyone is interested. Some of these I have a LOT of. Two complete Spankers performances, all in 24/88.2 as well as Redbook. Most of the others came from complete performances of CD or greater length.

Someone mentioned there might be those on the Forum with server space to spare. I'd be happy to remedy that situation if anyone wants to offer.

Regards,

Dave

PS - Also, any further comments from those on second or more listening. Someone mentioned having a gathering. I'd appreciate hearing about that as well.

Well I'm about half pissed already. I had one song on disc, verified it would play on the Oppo, downloaded two others but then got the "Un Disc" message again when I tried to play it. This was a couple nights ago, tonight is first chance I've made to try again. So far Windows Media Player is making me play each song before it will record it, says it can't determine how long the song is. So I am playing, then hope to burn and have it work.I really want to get these down, they sound incredible from what I've been able to hear so far. OK, it just finished burning the first song, ejected the disc, I put it back in and says it's already full. With one song?

I wish I wasn't so dumb sometimes, even though I do realize I'm not dumb, just inexperienced with the procedure I am trying to undertake. Still about half pissed.

Yo, David

Any way to upgrade disc space on that server?

That's a pretty hot server/connection, check the download speeds on this screenshot. IOW, that's a deal worth upgrading. I was DL'ing two at a time with over 850KB/s. Don't find that kind of speed much, that's a real honkin' connection.

post-9215-13819366861584_thumb.jpg

While I've not used WMP to burn, I can tell you that what is happening with the "full disc" is that WMP is closing the disc. That's normally a good thing for an audio CD, but not if you are trying to add. See if there is a setting to leave it open until you are finished, then close.

As to it being unable to determine song length, I haven't a clue. Never seen that before, but MS software is generally pretty dumb. If WMP has a "save as" option you might resave to a different name and see if it wises up in the process.

Otherwise, do a search for free audio burner software. There should be some out there that will do the trick.

Good luck,
Dave

Tom:
Thanks for your comments (post after the above). It's why I do this.

My host charges .05/mb for extra space. I'be looking at more than I am paying for my four domains to add as much space as I would like. All their other charges are really cheap, I have a personal relationship with their chief support spook, and I've been with them for over 10 years, so I am loathe to switch even though I'd really like more space.

That's why I put out the call for anyone who might have some extra to spare. It isn't just nickels and dimes and our finances are a bit tenous. Perhaps things will loosen up in the coming year...unless depression sets in and the dust starts to blow.

Regards,
Dave

>> " .05/mb for extra space."

Wow, that is expensive, especially today when the gigs run like water. Those guys are still in the 90s on that. However, the performance is stupendous. probably a 1:1 relationship on that.

what's the bite size? I'd kick in for a gig (that's $50, right?) if somebody will match. You select whatever recordings you think are right. You da man. I love listening to those things, I guess I had gotten sort of burned out on the commecial stuff. I'm enjoying my Khorns again. Give me a squeaky piano bench anyday over compression and processing. A lot of modern commercial music is so perfect it comes off as kind of plastic-like.

Who else wants to kick in?

Say, is this OK with you Dave? Maybe I should have asked first. Uh-oh.

Isn't there an old saying about forgiveness and permission? :)

Tom, I am quite moved by your remarks and offer. I really do have quite a few gigs of recordings I've made. OTOH, the cost is too high. In the next year or two I am expecting that our income will increase and I may even host myself.

Until then, unless a white knight with space to spare wished to offer up some, I'll parcel it out as interest warrants.

You have a PM.

Dave

Dave, got the PM.

I had a Linux box running here at home for awhile, used DynDNS to manage the process of accessing it from the net, it was behind my router. Easy to put up 100GB that way, but the download performance would really suck compared to what you're getting now.

Doesn't look like my offer is generating much interest from other members. I thought at least a couple guys would chip in. My offer stands, but would 5GB be enough to do anything with? Looks like the ones out there are around 63MB per, that's going to be like 79 tracks? Seems like quite a few. Interested at all?

Tom:
Since you seem to be pretty tech savvy, there might be another way. I am a generalist, and quite at home with computers but not an expert. I have a TeraStation with beaucoups of room. It has a Linux OS and the capability to be set up as a web server, but the manual doesn't really say how, and those I've queried on the web speak over my head as to how to do this.

Perhaps I could give you a few breadcrumbs to follow on that trail and we could work it out? With that, I could simply make most all of it available, including the high res stuff.

Regards,
Dave

PS - My TS is not a "Live" Apparently, FTP access has been made much easier on these...

Thanks to Mark (thanks Mark), I got a chance to listen to the CD last night.

I really enjoyed it Dave. There's not much I can add to what has already been said except that the soundstage in my Cornwall room where I was listening was unbelievable. When I closed my eyes it was as if I was sitting in the middle of the stage with the orchestra surrounding me. I heard instruments behind me, to my side and of course in front. In some instances, the music sounded like it was coming from at least 30 feet away on each side while my speakers are spaced just 12 feet apart on a 24 foot wall, slightly toed in. Very cool!