New (to me) heresy speakers...what receiver on a limited budget?

schlaager

Hi. I'm going to be picking up a pair of Heresy speakers (at a garage sale price, you wouldn't believe it), and I don't own a receiver for them.

I'm thinking of getting just whatever I can find, used, to drive them for now, since they'll be going into my office for awhile. The house isn't big enough right now for them. Once we get a bigger house, they'll be moving back and I can get them the receiver they deserve.

What should I keep my eyes open for? Should I be looking for a tube receiver? Should I go with a receiver and an amp? Solid state receiver with a tube amp, will that do?

Thanks for your advice.

IF you really want to hear a Heresy you need

... a reasonable amplifier that is tubes or solid state. I've used somedecent tube gear on myHeresy IIs and they sound great. Right now I have an H/K 430, an older twin power supply receiver at 25wpc. They osund wonderful for the money and can be picked up for $100 or less.

Bruce

I am with Marvel on this one. If you are on a budget ... any good quality SS receiver with about 40w will make them crank. I would say look at your local Craigslist and search for mid 70's Marantz, Sansui, Onkyo or HK.

Will it maximize the sound .. like Old Bucksters tubes ... maybe not ... but bang for the buck ...70's SS is a great choice.

Even an all in one from the 90's, that you can find at a garage sale will make them work .... but the 70's stuff make a great match and is worth the extra effort.

Welcome to the forum!! OB is right about tubes and Heritage series, they do sound good! For your temp situation with an office, the other recommendations are right on the money. Try looking for (just my knowledge and experience only) an older Sansui AU series, like a 7700, 7900, or the 666, 777, 999, etc. Good prices right now and for a low volume duty amp you can attach a CD player or tuner to, it will work great. Notwithstanding the other makes, the Sansuis are generally quite reliable and were considered to be fairly "high end" back in the late 60's - 70's. They look cool too...

IMHO no SS gear at any price, and I mean ANY price compares to digital amps. I've a Panasonic SA XR 25 I use with my K'horn/Cornwall system for HT and general listening and the only thing better is vacuum tubes (which I have at the press of a switch).

Lot's of opinions on this, but you'll find many who agree. http://richmond.craigslist.org/ele/609760732.html NIB for 110.00.

The L&G is the XR 700. I saw it at Vann's in open box for 412.00.

Just some out of the box thoughts...

Dave

• Moderators

You said they are going in your office and limited budget ( I specialize in that area! ) what about this.

It works, only one dial to deal with and small but will play loud enough for any office !

I just tried one and it also has a nice sound for $50. You could get something more powerful later when they are not in a office. Just plug in a cd player or mp3 or cd/fm portable player.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-958&FTR=t-amp&CFID=24575991&CFTOKEN=94895163

what about this.

Awww, isn't that cute! Problem is that it only has one input jack on the back. I'd have my computer and iphone and a radio in it too. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Your response to dtel suggests you thought he might have been joking. The input issue is cheaply and easily resolved. These little TriPaths have developed a rabid following. I am one. I also have the Tio, same amp on a card for use in a PC. More that adequate power to drive a K'horn to any level short of hearing damage with smooth accuracy that is downright startling. Of course, many do not care for smooth accuracy, preferring clinical accuracy (SS) or warm accuracy (VT). Yes, I am aware that only one of these is truly "accurate," but since I cannot know what you or anyone else hears I can only attest to which one is most accurate to me.

If you've not heard a TriPath or similar design, do not dismiss it simply due to cost. Water is cheap, but quenches thirst better than the finest champagne.

Regards,
Dave

Your response to dtel suggests you thought he might have been joking. The input issue is cheaply and easily resolved. These little TriPaths have developed a rabid following. I am one. I also have the Tio, same amp on a card for use in a PC. More that adequate power to drive a K'horn to any level short of hearing damage with smooth accuracy that is downright startling. Of course, many do not care for smooth accuracy, preferring clinical accuracy (SS) or warm accuracy (VT). Yes, I am aware that only one of these is truly "accurate," but since I cannot know what you or anyone else hears I can only attest to which one is most accurate to me.

If you've not heard a TriPath or similar design, do not dismiss it simply due to cost. Water is cheap, but quenches thirst better than the finest champagne.

Regards,
Dave

Sorry if I came off as sarcastic, that wasn't my intent.

I just picked up some Heresy II's and on the advice of some forum members sought out a H/K x30 model. I was able to get a mint 730 twin powered for $60 (cosmetically and acoustically perfect)! I believe this model is rated at 40 wpc and I can't bear to turn it up to 1/2 volume. This amp truly makes my heresy's shine =)

I've been asking this question for awhile, I have finaly gotten back into the klipsch family.( after loosing a set of Korn's and 2.2's) I have finaly gotten to the point in life when my son has asked me who Robet Johson was, I was able to go out and get a set of heresy's, With a good sansui he even figured out that the bottom end was missing. can someone tell me what to get for around $400-$900, I want him to hear what I used to when my late father showed me how music was supposed to listened to?

• Moderators

" Sorry if I came off as sarcastic, that wasn't my intent. "

Ha that's funny, it's ok even if you were, I been married for 29 years, and 3 kids, I can take it ! [:|][;)]

I said that about the T-Amp because it's about as cheap as you can go and still sound good, but it is very limited ( 1 ) input.

If you can't do like OB did my next choice would be the Sansui or HK twin powered, I love the HK 930 Arfanbark gave me, and I use to have an old 8080 I gave away like an idiot because the lights burned out.

I just picked up some Heresy II's and on the advice of some forum members sought out a H/K x30 model. I was able to get a mint 730 twin powered for $60 (cosmetically and acoustically perfect)! I believe this model is rated at 40 wpc and I can't bear to turn it up to 1/2 volume. This amp truly makes my heresy's shine =)

I have to agree with Josh here. I have a 730 hooked up to my Cornwalls and they sound great. I also have a Yamaha CR-1020, hooked up to a pair of Heresy and that sounds great also.

So, I would suggest either a H/K x30 model or Yamaha x20 model, either can be had for under $200.

James

BTW, Josh great price for your H/K.