My New Crown XTi 1000s Are Here!!

BEC

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK first report on the sound. With the room as quiet as I could reasonably get it, did some ear up to the speakers listening for noise. I could hear a bit of noise out of one channel of tweeters, but not the other. That is with the ear right up inside the tweeter horn. I could not hear it 3 inches away. My son Michael is younger and has more sensitive ears than I. He could hear the noise at 3 inches from one tweeter and around a foot from the other tweeter. Neither of us could hear any noise at a normal listening distance.

Next we heated the amp up playing about 30 minutes of tunes at "pretty loud" volume. Then repeating the listening for noise test, results were the same. Fan in the amp was on for a couple of minutes after that 30 minutes of relatively high power performance.

The Cornscala has the tweeter attenuated 3 db like a Cornwall. With a Khorn or Lascala which does not attenuate the tweeter at all, you would expect to hear a bit more noise.

By the way, this was all with DSP off. Just using it as an amp.

Bob Crites

Dee,

Lately I have been using the old Sony amp you have heard lots of times here in the shop. Sometimes another amp is in place according to what is going on around here. We are rebuilding the shop now so things are in a rather strange configuration as everything gets moved around during the rebuild. Not to happy with where the Cornscalas have to sit right at the moment and they are certainly not in the optimum listening place.

Listening last night with the Crown was pretty good. I still haven't made it through all my reference music, but so far the Crown is doing well. I will report more later.

Bob

Wll be using an HP3325A Synthesizer/Function Generator, HP35665A Dynamic Signal Analyzer (spectrum analyzer), and HP7550A Graphics Plotter.

Crown under test is the XTi 1000 SN 8001432333

Bob Crites

First test is plain old frequency response. Input was swept 20 hz to 25khz at 500 mv. Output was set to 1 watt into 8 ohms.

Pretty good plot, probablly plus or minus 1 db up to over 23 khz.

Bob Crites

post-9312-13819366967694_thumb.jpg

Just for fun, since there is a preset in this crown for the Jub at 48db slope. Thought I might trace it.

Green trace is LF and red is HF. Cursor is at 512 hz. Input was 0 to 25 khz swept at 500 mv. Output was at approximately one watt.

Bob Crites

post-9312-13819366969814_thumb.jpg