My New Crown XTi 1000s Are Here!!

BEC

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If anyone here who cares about this subject has not read the Crown forums, you really should - even Dean posts over there.

I'm surprised I haven't been banned over there for putting their feet to the fire about the issue.

I dunno...I'm not qualified to say since I never owned one, but IMHO it is a "pro-audio" amplifier that's designed for sound reinforcement in recording studios, live concert venues and such, and not really designed for the home audio market (with their different, more highly refined set of requirements). My brother's XTi-1000 was used only to power his DIY subwoofer system (DSP bypassed), so I can't comment on the buzzing issue (which he did have with his DIY 511B/Usher woofer open-baffles and bi-amped and active-crossovered/EQed setup...now all sold).

In the end if this Crown pro-audio amplifier works out with other's home audio systems, then they're indeed the lucky ones and more power to 'em! It's just my observation that this (and other pro-audio devices) doesn't always mesh well with consumer related 2-channel/HT audio systems and shouldn't always be expected to be satisfactorily used for such...YMMV and all that.

For Reference: Here is a class A tube 'home' amplifier playing into an 8 ohm resistor then playing into a reactive load.

cad300fig1.jpg

Shawn

Yup Class A, zero feedback Single Ended Triode........ how long did you spend to find that reveiw from 1995? I just spent a good 1/2 hour trying to find a similar graph of some other topology not effected so serverely by impedence swings and it looks to me like Stereophile quit using that testing procedure way back when...

Interesting -- mine are patched into a Furman AR1215.

The Furman is more of a voltage regulation device that affers a small amount of AC filtering.

Craig

Be careful Craig!! You are about to be sucked into the incredible cosmic vortex of the Xti! From which, there is simply no escape.

Yikes........ thanks for the words of wisdom......I'm outta here ;)

I didn't quite understand. Are you saying Chops had amp buzzing using the 511B/Usher woofer with Xti? And when you say "DSP Bypassed" I assume you mean DSP OFF. It can't be bypassed.

Sorry 'bout that, Mark...the buzzing was not from the XTi-1000 since it was only driving his subwoofer (with its DSP off...bad choice of words there). What he heard seemed to be generated from the other amps/active crossover EQ that were used to power his DIY open baffle loudspeakers (511B/Usher combo).

I knew I wasn't qualified to comment on this...[:$]

"Yup Class A, zero feedback Single Ended Triode........ how long did you spend to find that reveiw from 1995"

About 5 minutes. Any amp with high output impedance is going to show FR deviations when measured into a load other then a resistor.

"and it looks to me like Stereophile quit using that testing procedure way back when..."

Nope. Here is the same measurement of a Quad II tube amp done in 2005...

805Q2CFIG1.jpg

The Quad IIs output impedance is 1.83 ohms.

Remember....

Lumpy frequency response on the neighborhood of plus minus 1 or 2 dB is not typical of home audio amps.

Shawn

This really cracks me up.

5 or 6 years ago when I first joined this Forum it seemed you would get shackled & stoned if you mentioned the word "Crown". Now, here I am, 6 years later, gradually moving away from Crown & moving more to the (newer) McIntosh camp ( & I never did leave the tube camp), and it seems there's renewed interest in Crown. Go figure. [8-|]

Lumpy frequency response on the neighborhood of plus minus 1 or 2 dB is not typical of home audio amps.

Sounds to me like your measurement is crap. I inserted a delay on a circuit that measured +-0.01dB on an older audio analyzer and discovered an oscillating response like you're showing - which to me sounds like your measurement methods are unreliable. I could measure the same circuit with other tools not affected by latencies and the inserted delay went back to measuring the same as before.