BEC

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I predict Dean will have new crossovers and amps by the end of this summer

Not that I should make comment here but I've already emailed Dean & offered him unfettered use of one of my 4-channel amps that I'm not using. I'm also going to be sending Mark1101 one of my Crown K2 amps for him to use for several weeks while I'm gone on vacation.

Anyone else want me to send you anything? Lemme see what I've got....lots of power tools.... 4 dogs.... 3 LaScalas, 2 Heresy's, wife.... oh wait...she's going with me [8o|]

Here's one for you.

I had a few hours yesterday afternoon to spend some time with my system without distraction, and decided to try one of the Crowns on another set of speakers -- I've only ever heard them on the Jubilees. I pulled out my refurbished old Advents for what I thought was going to be an afternoon of good listening.

The sound rated up there with some of the worst sound I've heard in my 30 years of audio -- profoundly bad. I've been listening to Advents off and on since high school, and I've heard them on a lot of different stuff -- it ain't the Advents. I simply can't think of a single positive thing to say about what I heard. Cloudy, congested, with the upper registers putting the squeeze on my ears at less than 90dB. I must say, I'm very impressed that Mark managed to spend 4 hours with it -- I lasted less than six songs. It's a completely different sound and presentation on the Jubilees -- I don't get it.

Are you starting too wonder about them Jubilee's..............

Sorry but the answer is painfully obvious to me.

Bob,

"and away from the Crown testing, but at the end of that testing I was
doing, I was trying inductive loads on the Crowns and was getting some
confusing results"

Thanks, I will try looking at that too when I get a chance. BTW, if you want a more interesting load to test with then just a resistor (without blasting yourself out of the house) try one of these:

http://www.stereophile.com/reference/60/

Shawn

Uh, that doesn't make any sense. The amp's performance parameters obviously change depending on the kind of load it sees -- what does that have to do with a loudspeaker that sounds really good whenever it's heard regardless of what's driving it? I said it sounded like crap on my Advents, not my Jubilees.

Are you starting too wonder about them Jubilee's....

Yeah, I'm wondering if I should sell them so we can eat this summer.

Dean,

Being in a fee/commission driven business I know what it's like to face some unknowns and fluctuating income. Back with the crash of 1987, I took a severe hit to my income and it just about put me out of the business. During the wild raising of interest rates they did about 1994, that also put a pinch on things.

When 9-11 happened I knew that very instant that I was in for a rough time. I immediately ( as in starting that very day) went into what I call "defensive mode". Truth be told, I took about a 50% hit on my income that year. We may as well not even shown up for work for the following 6 months after 911 happened because I could not in good faith, have someone open an account, deposit some cash and then go invest it into a market that I was convinced was going down for a while... we DID open the accounts, but we simply sat in money markets during this time frame. Unfortunately for me, opening up accounts and not investing the money, pays me nothing... I don't get paid for good intentions.

I told anyone that would listen to me that the game plan would be stay in cash and the DAY we hear news of us dropping bombs in Iraq, we'd go in and buy. I was counting on what happened the first time we were over there and the unknowns. Markets don't like unknowns and the day we drop bombs, that unknown becomes known. The market rallied (10 years prior) and I was banking on having the same thing happen.

Although it turned out that I was absolutely right, it did not change the fact that for 6 months, I had essentially zero income while I was waiting for the bombs to drop. I can easily empathasize with the basics of your current situation.

I don't know how I made it through that other than maybe I'm more stubborn than Roy when he's trying to figure out his bubbles...

Ahhh, Jubilees are soon in my future. Remember I called first dibs. [;)]

I honestly hope it isn't all that bad for you Dean. Times are tough right now but you are still above ground.

Hell, I just made an impulse buy on a tractor because it was too good a deal to pass up - this right after I declined to buy a new pre-pro because I needed to save money and bunker down until the economy is straightened out; so in "saving", I just spent 5X what the pre-pro would have cost.

Here's one for you.

I had a few hours yesterday afternoon to spend some time with my system without distraction, and decided to try one of the Crowns on another set of speakers -- I've only ever heard them on the Jubilees. I pulled out my refurbished old Advents for what I thought was going to be an afternoon of good listening.

The sound rated up there with some of the worst sound I've heard in my 30 years of audio -- profoundly bad. I've been listening to Advents off and on since high school, and I've heard them on a lot of different stuff -- it ain't the Advents. I simply can't think of a single positive thing to say about what I heard. Cloudy, congested, with the upper registers putting the squeeze on my ears at less than 90dB. I must say, I'm very impressed that Mark managed to spend 4 hours with it -- I lasted less than six songs. It's a completely different sound and presentation on the Jubilees -- I don't get it.

Dean, that is most interesting and sort of strange, too.

One question, do you think it would be worth some time listening to the Advents driven with another amp. Especially one of which the reference sound, with Advents is familiar.

When I first started reading your post I was wondering if the Advents sounded so bad after a season of Jubilee sound.

That is an awful lot of synergistic / non synergistic stuff going on there.

Uh, that doesn't make any sense. The amp's performance parameters obviously change depending on the kind of load it sees -- what does that have to do with a loudspeaker that sounds really good whenever it's heard regardless of what's driving it? I said it sounded like crap on my Advents, not my Jubilees.

Well I would have to wonder about any speaker that can make an amp that sounds horrible sound good.... That was my line of thought... Or by the same token I would have to wonder about a speaker that has to have all these fancy gizmo's in the siganl path to sound good......... Ah what ever go on with your thread guys I'm not getting drug into this... I'll stick with my little old home brew amps and home brew Lascalas, they put a smile on my face every single day.... and have for what 5 years now?

Craig

I would have to wonder about a speaker that has to have all these fancy gizmo's in the siganl path to sound good......... Ah what ever go on with your thread guys I'm not getting drug into this... I'll stick with my little old home brew amps and home brew Lascalas, they put a smile on my face every single day.... and have for what 5 years now?

I hear ya Craig. I enjoy my LaScalas and Moondogs very much. On the other hand, I understand that they might sound a lot better with the drivers time aligned. Perhaps a lot better. That is the main way these guys have been using the XTi, to provide the time alignment.

Yet...Rigma has his powered by 300B amps and passive crossovers and says they are fantastic (as well as others who have heard his system. We can't throw out the passives... they may not be perfect, but they still work quite well.

Bruce

"Well I would have to wonder about any speaker that can make an amp that sounds horrible sound good.... That was my line of thought..."

Maybe it's simply a case of an amp that works well on one type of speaker but not another. Trust me on this, the Jubilee doesn't make crap in the signal path sound good.

Or by the same token I would have to wonder about a speaker that has to have all these fancy gizmo's in the siganl path to sound good.

It doesn't, it can be run will good old passive networks.

Ya'll are much more smarter than me. I would swear with a two way (402 k 69 and the Jube bottom) and all, awe shucks.... it could be an easy passive cross over for all of us uneducated to order?

But I am just dumb over here, awww shucks.... with not enough brains to figure it all out. This away, we stupids could just hook it up to our fancy smancy McIntosh or Sunfire, or Krell beasties and enjoy them?

My thought....

I still say a passive x over for the Jubes, and Jube scalas, IF Roy could do it to be sold.. Would go a LONG way to make these legit to us "simple no techno scientic types!" The only caveat.... They can't be like so expensive people run away at the thought!!

Not that I should make comment here but I've already emailed Dean & offered him unfettered use of one of my 4-channel amps that I'm not using. I'm also going to be sending Mark1101 one of my Crown K2 amps for him to use for several weeks while I'm gone on vacation.

Anyone else want me to send you anything? Lemme see what I've got....lots of power tools.... 4 dogs.... 3 LaScalas, 2 Heresy's, wife.... oh wait...she's going with me Super Angry

You could send me those big black boxes you have ...

Anyone else want me to send you anything? Lemme see what I've got....lots of power tools.... 4 dogs.... 3 LaScalas, 2 Heresy's, wife.... oh wait...she's going with me Super Angry

You could send me those big black boxes you have ...

I posted this in the thread on 'Klipsch Spotters." We are using it with our new in ceiling Klipsch at the college where I work. Nice.

Well, it isn't a Klipsch, but this is a nice amp. It works as 70V or
low impedance (4 or 8 ohms), and sets the amp automagically per channel.
200wpc or so... maybe a little higher. Was about $1200 for the school.
You can set a high pass filter (70Hz). They do make a 4 channel amp
that could be used to biamp some Jubs. All you would need is the
crossover. Maybe this is what Dean needs to get.

post-7149-13819367275534_thumb.jpg