eBay auctions pulled/stopped by Klipsch

egary

Does anyone know why Klipsch tells eBay to pull/stop some auctions (but not others) when someone is trying to sell a pair of speakers?

I called the "I-Sold It" store to ask what happened to their listing and was told eBay pulled it at the request of Klipsch claiming copyright violations (???) for a pair of used and discontinued speakers that Klipsch stopped making in the mid 1990's??? (Chorus II's)

There are another pair being sold by another company but that auction is still going on...they are black and not the walnut oiled ones which were pulled

If anyone knows why this goes on please let me know...the I Sold It store says this happens all the time with Klipsch

It generally happens when people copy and paste things such as the technical information on an item like Klipsch speakers. That text is copyrighted. The easy way to get around that is to simply post a link to the appropriate Klipsch page.

• Moderators

It generally happens when people copy and paste things such as the technical information on an item like Klipsch speakers. That text is copyrighted. The easy way to get around that is to simply post a link to the appropriate Klipsch page.

That's pretty much it. They cannot use any copyrighted info from our website, including product descriptions, photos, or specs (verbatim). They also cannot mention anything about a manufactures warranty, since we do not honor the warranty from an unauthorized dealer. We have a company that enforces this for us, and they are given specific criteria. We don't always see the auctions that are pulled.

i had the fine experience of having a set of rs-35's removed after the auction had went for 4 of the 5 days and had been bid up above my expectations. ebay stated that klipsch had the auction stopped because of copyright infringement. the funny part was that another auction i watched end for the exact same item, used the exact same text for specifications that i had used. not to mention i did not get my $17 in fees returned to me... i re-listed them slightly different and they sold anyway.

I wonder how many auctions are actually pulled because of this. After the experience, and/or this thread, is there anyone who is not clear on what is legal and what isn't? I would think most folks are getting it, even if the learning was inconvenient. ie: learning the hard way.

For folks who have run up against this, would it have been helpful to see a reminder of this somewhere? I'd probably have missed it even if it was posted somewhere among other announcements, etc. The issue would almost certainly already be in everyone's Ebay contract to which the individual has already agreed.

so what about people selling current stock," New Klipsch KA-1000-THX Ultra 2 Sub Amp #180230131027". I was told by my rep that dealers aren't allowed to sell on Ebay.

This guy has 10 avail for sale, at $500 below retail.

I looked at the auction and my take is that this passes the standard. The seller has a link to the specs and other Klipsch info, which if pasted into the description would present a problem.

Now, as to the source for the amps, has to be a resale situation. Klipsch would not have to honor the warranty.

We don't personally peruse every Klipsch ad. If one is called to our attention, we send it to our internet 'policeman' for clarification. Some of these ( I believe the recent one) were pulled by an automatic service. We apologize for any bona fide owners of legitimate products whose auctions get stopped while we try to tackle the flurry of unauthorized internet sales of Klipsch product.

We have recently added more AUTHORIZED internet dealers like Crutchfield, hopefully this will cut down on counterfeiters and grey market product.

so what about people selling current stock," New Klipsch KA-1000-THX Ultra 2 Sub Amp #180230131027". I was told by my rep that dealers aren't allowed to sell on Ebay.

This guy has 10 avail for sale, at $500 below retail.

This sale has been reported. Thanks.

• Moderators

Michael,

The ebay auction with the ten amps, this is the kind of auction Klipsch wants to close?

This auction is not something we like to see (a "buyer beware" kind of auction), but it doesn't appear there is any cause for action on our part.

Authorized dealers are not permitted to sell on ebay. If they do so repeatedly, we can suspend their account.

If unauthorized dealers sell on ebay, we have no way to stop them from doing so. If they are using copyrighted information or claiming a Klipsch warranty, then we can have the auction pulled, but this seller is not doing that.

I was selling a book about speaker cabinets, designs, crossovers etc...In the book, several manufacturers are mentioned including pictures of their products from the late 50's. The title of my ad was "blah blah blah blah book About Klipsch, Altec, Jbl Speakers". Ebay pulled it and said Klipsch had them do it but they didn't give me a reason. At the same time, there was another identical book listed with wording like mine except without the word "About" and his was left alone. His title almost looked like he used vendor names as keywords, where mine was explaining that the book was "About" speakers made by these manufaturers.

Amy,

If you are still tracking this thread, I'm wondering if you could say more about the company who monitors the Klipsch auctions and communicates with Ebay on behalf of Klipsch.

This is a business niche I didn't know existed. I'm guessing these folks offer a service that is subscribed by other businesses as well. Is it done on bids? I'm thinking, heck, there are forum members who probably watch ebay more closely that the folks paid to do it. Is the contract a substantial sum?