Klipschorn with Altec 511B

Lee

Thank you very much for the response. I went back and looked at Al's website. I never noticed the Altec drivers before. Thanks for pointing them out. So it seems like if one has the money, Al's horn is the way to go. Or is it, if you want the horn to fit the top housing, and have the money, then Al's horn is the way to go.

Have you tried an other drivers with either the 511B or with Al's Trachorn?

Just curious, but if one eliminates the criteria of fittiting the horn in the top housing, is there a recognized "best" horn / driver combination?

Thanks again Lee and everybody else.

Dan

Dan,

I haven't tried any other drivers. My K-55Vs were upgraded from the push terminal to solder terminal back in '81 or so.

After all these years you'd think someone would make a compression driver (other than Atlas) with decent low frequency output.

Lee

After all these years you'd think someone would make a compression driver (other than Atlas) with decent low frequency output.

You can always try a Selenium D250X. You can contact BEC about the driver. It requires a 10w inline resistor/attenuator (it's a very efficient driver). I have a pair in one of my Klipschorns and they work very well. I've also used them in Heresys and LaScalas and they sound quite good. Bright, clear, etc.