Recent Concert Thread...

Viking Metal...

Okaaaaaay..... that's a new genre by me. :) Interesting.

It is a sub-genre of heavy metal. Here is a description, at least in Wikipedia. I am not a huge fan of the sub-genre myself (funny considering there is some viking background within my own heritage), especially as I don't care for some of the anti-Christian sentiment that is sometimes displayed in the music, but that show did make for a fun night of music though and definitly a unique experience that you just simply won't get at a more "typical" mainstream type performance.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest srobak

I get that it is a sub-genre... there are a lot of those... it's just - well... the nomenclature. It's a bit unique/odd to me :) I picture a bunch of angry Vikings stomping around on a wooden ship in high seas flashing devil-horns and giving themselves whiplash while headbanging. Just invokes some interest imagery due to it being a couple words you don't usually see together :) Kinda like - Car Mechanic Rock, or Plastic Surgeon Jazz, Homless Guy Rap, Rich Man Swing... :)

Hrm... could have a lot of fun with this - may have to start a thread.

I don't really see why it's so weird. Just a bunch of guys who either take pride in their Nodric ancestory and sing about it cook up elaborate tales of Norse mythology and folklore. Was it weird when Zepplin did it?

A friend if mine has been listening to Viking Rock for a long time. It is great fun. I'd love to to see the band with the girls playing accordians. I bet the crowd is stranger than the bands. At least this is the case with my friend. I love it when something different or original comes along. I get tired of the same boring rock crap.

This is my favorite Viking Metal album. Bathory-Blood Fire Death. Total classic.It just turned 20 years old.

Ohh maaan! Now that is indeed a classic! I'll need to get thier most recent album - the three volume set In Memory of Quorthon. It has been a while since I've listened to anything by these guys.

A friend if mine has been listening to Viking Rock for a long time. It is great fun. I'd love to to see the band with the girls playing accordians. I bet the crowd is stranger than the bands. At least this is the case with my friend.

The band with the girls playing the accordian is called Turisas (website, myspace, where you can at least listen to a sample of thier music). Thier most recent album, The Verangian Way, is really awsome and definitly worth at least a listen, especially if you like heavy metal. They were indeed incredible at that show Monday night!

Oh yeah, there were some interesting characters at that show, but everybody that I net were really cool, including the bands themselves. There was on moron that thought he could try to shove his way up to the front during the show, only to end up getting his @$$ kicked by a few folks that did not appreciate his antics, however.

I love it when something different or original comes along. I get tired of the same boring rock crap.

And that is precisely why I listen to these types of music and go to these kinds of shows! There has been really nothing in the past 5 years or so that I really cared for on the so-called "mainstream", at least nothing that really wanted me to go out and buy thier album or go see thier show. Yet at the same time, when I saw and heard something such as this Turisas band, I was immediatly blown away and knew I just had to get thier album as well! I guess that is also why I still listen to and enjoy progressive rock in general, such as Yes, Rush, Asia, and the like. At the time, they were very much original and different. Probably why at the same time, I've never really got into the Rolling Stones and the like either. Just found it too boring and formulaic compared to what I did prefer to listen to.

Well, just last night, went to another concert (the second one of the three that I'll be seeing this week - the third one will be this evening with Symphony X).

Last night, on the bill were three progressive rock/metal bands - Circa, Odin's Court, and Kinetic Element.

First up was Kinetic Element. This local outfit (out of Richmond, VA) very much had a really cool Emerson, Lake, and Palmer vibe going. I was indeed very impressed and ended up picking up thier record - Starship Universe:

IMG_2403Medium.jpg

IMG_2418Medium.jpg

Next up was Odin's Court! (website) I am very good friends with these guys, so I'll admit that my opinon may be a little biased. However, talking with other folks, they also agreed that these guys really kicked some @$$. This is very much a progressive metal outfit, a bit more heavier than the other two bands that played last night. Of course, I already have their album and t-shirt, so I really had nothing to buy off of them. I did preorder thier new album - Deathanity, that Matt (the lead vocalist and guitarist) finally found a label to get distributed on (ProgRock Records). He did the recording and production himself. I've heard the album at the Christamas party he invited me to (yes, that is how much of a good friend I am with these guys - getting invited to special gigs, parties, etc by these guys!).

Matt (left), Rick (center), and I forget the girl's name on the right as she is new addition to the band, but on a part-time basis as backing vocals. I'll have to ask Rick the next time I see him.

IMG_2425Medium.jpg

Craig on bass

IMG_2428Medium.jpg

John taking up the drums.

IMG_2429Medium.jpg

Savino tickling the ivory.

IMG_2430Medium.jpg

And last up for the evening is Circa! (myspace) This is a side project by some members of Yes. Of course, there were some pretty rabid Yes fans that where there last night (and I thought some of those kids at the Ensiferum show were rabid on Monday night, but holy cow!). These guys really put on an absoluletly incredible performance last night! Of course, I had to go pick up thier album and DVD as well (self-titled Circa). Of course, I got the entire band to sign my copy of thier album. However, despite the rabid Yes fans that were there last night, they were pretty much playing to an empty room. Thier could not've been more than 30 people in the place that whole evening. So needless to say, this was a very intimate setting (and I was right there square up at at the stage in the center)!

Jimmy Haun on the guitar

IMG_2443Medium.jpg

Billy Sherwood on bass and vocals. Also, he was really awesome to just chat with and share a drink with during the evening. Really nice guy and a real pleasure to get to see perform last night. To be honost, I don't know who was more excited - me getting to see him play, or him getting to play for me? In background is a recent addition to the band performing backing keyboard and vocals. I forget off the top of my head his name was.

IMG_2444Medium.jpg

Alan White on the drums. Yes (no pun intended), that is indeed the Alan White of Yes fame! And the cool thing was that after the show, he just hung out by the bar signing anything and chatting with anybody that cared to. Really cool guy. Never thought I'd see him perform in such a small, intimate setting in all my years!

IMG_2445Medium.jpg

And last, but not least, the legendary Tony Kaye on the keyboards. Indeed, that is the Tony Kaye of Yes fame as well! A truly incredible keyboardist!

IMG_2446Medium.jpg

If anybody reading this is a fan of Yes, or even just the classic 70's era of progressive rock in general, you must, and I mean you MUST check out Circa! These guys were just truly incredible musicians and put on one hell of a show! Not only that, but there were just really great people to meet and chat with as well. I love it when not only the members of a band are really good, but when they are humble and truly enjoy what they are doing instead of just taking on some snooty "rock-star" attitude! I guess another big reason why I follow the independent, underground progressive rock/metal scene instead of just listening to whatever the radio and the "big 4" labels shovel out there to the mainstream.

Next up in this little series of concerts this week - Symphony X, tonight at the same venu I saw these other two shows - Jaxx Nightclub!

Well, went to the last concert of the three that I saw this week. This one was Symphony X, Epica, Into Eternity, Tolerance for Tragedy, and Apothys. First up was Apothys. This is a local outfit that plays run-of-the-mill death metal. Pretty cools guys, but not my cup of tea. Next up was Tolerance for Tragedy. Another local outfit. This was a pretty kick-@$$ band sounding, but saddled by crappy vocals. Seems to be an Opeth knock-off. Again, in the end, not my cup of tea either. Then came Into Eternity. I've seen these guys numerous time, but I still cannot really get into them. Now that I think about it, I could've went to that Carmina Burana show with Larry, Mike, and Marty, and still could've made it back to this one to see the two bands I was really interested in - Epica and Symphony X.

Epica is this gothic symphonic heavy metal band with a female lead vocalist. I've seen these guys at least 5 times and everytime they consistantly blew me away! They had a replacement vocalist on this tour (Amanda), instead of thier regualer vocalist (Simone), as she was out due to a pretty serious illness. Thankfully, after talking a bit with the band, she is recovering and probably could've pulled off this tour, but the band was being very smart and decided to find a replacement instead as they just did not want to risk it. The replacement was really good and I hope that she can find a regular band herself. That voice - holy cow, what a gorgeous voice! The other cool thing was that the members of the band remembered me from the last time I saw them. When the male vocalist saw me, he was like 'Hey! Awesome to see you again!" and kind of thing.

IMG_2454Medium.jpg

IMG_2456Medium.jpg

Last but not least - friggan SYMPHONY X!!!! These guys put on just one friggan unbelievable show! This was the second time seeing these guys as well and just amazing each time. This symphonic power/progressive metal outfit consitantly put out some quality metarial time and again, not to mention just kick-@$$ musicians in general. They were friggan cutting loose, since this was thier last day of thier
tour. Hell, a friggan food fight nearly broke out on stage, with the
bands and the audiance throwing nearly everything from potatoe chips to
hamburgers to empty plastic cups around! Then after this show, I've must've spent a solid hour just BSing with Russell Allen, the lead singer of Sym X, at the bar, basically right until they kicked out of the club because they needed to close it down, only to spend another hour out back BSing with members of both Sym X and Epica behind the club at the tour buses. I did not get home until nearly 4 o'clock this morning! BTW, check out the Klipsch shirt I was wearing last night!

IMG_2461Medium.jpg

IMG_2464Medium.jpg

IMG_2465Medium.jpg

IMG_2467Medium.jpg

IMG_2468Medium.jpg

Just received news on this:

16th Annual Capital Jazz Fest
June 6-8, 2008
Merriweather Post Pavilion
Columbia, Maryland
www.capitaljazz.com

Capital Jazz Fest to be broadcast on XM Satellite Radio
As part of an exciting new partnership, Capital Jazz Fest sponsor XM Satellite Radio will be recording this year's festival performances for future broadcast on their satellite radio channels. Audience members at the festival will be participating in the first-ever broadcast of a jazz festival on satellite radio. Stay tuned to your Capital Jazz Club e-blasts for more details in the coming weeks. For more information on XM Radio, please visit the company web site at www.xmradio.com.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really see why it's so weird. Just a bunch of guys who either take pride in their Nodric ancestory and sing about it cook up elaborate tales of Norse mythology and folklore. Was it weird when Zepplin did it?

Norse mythology can be cute! See: http://www.public.asu.edu/~mharp/viking_kittens/VikingKitten.htm

Todd Rundgren two weekends ago

Robert Plant and Allison Krauss last weekend - This show was AMAZING

Slowhand this weekend

Right friggin' on, man!

I shoulda been there with you. You should be with ME when Crosby Stills and Nash start their tour on the 31st in Santa Rosa, CA!

Another local event, The Sonoma Jazz Festival, is this weekend. Unfortuately, Bonnie Raitt (jazz????) is sold out. Bummer, but I'll be in Mount Shasta relaxin'...

Steve, I was/am a huge yes fan. I would have loved to seen that!

That show was awesome. It would've been a bit of a hike from Danville to Springfield, VA (just south of Washington, D.C), but still. Had I'd known, I would've clued you in on this. There was hardly anybody there that night, compared to that Symphony X show, for example (which was a fully packed house). At the very least, you really should check out Circa's album. It is quite good.

Saw
Roger Waters performing DSOTM May 2nd at the Superpages.com Center
at Fair Park in Dallas. Terrific set...played the old standbys during
the first set, 20 minute intermission and played DSOTM.
115402.jpg

The auditorium is shaped like a pie slice with the expensive seats
covered and closer to the stage, around the perimeter is a grassy knoll
(after all it is Dallas) where I sat.

Demographics was interesting, about a 50-50 mixture of young people
(High School-College) and 50 somethings. Quite a few people who looked
like they were refugees from Woodstock. They were throwing down an
interesting look with loose, earth colored clothes, long dirty gray
hair and beards, almost gnome like, and walkers! The kids were also
trying to look like 60's hippies. Some people were even sporting Pink
Floyd t-shirts commemorating a 1972 tour! Some of the outfits the girls
were wearing...Mmmmm.thud.gif

Very little drug use, just a few people smoking some herb...too many
older people there so they figured us for narcs...it was funny watching
them hide a blunthide.gif.

Acoustics were so so. Seemed a little distorted, vocals were not clean,
no real separation of the instruments, poor 3-D effect. My upstairs
system blows the concert venue out of the water as far as sound quality
goes. But...nothing beats being there live...warts and alljump.gif.