Recent Concert Thread...

Cool bands, seti! Polysics really bring back the Devo style. Last Japanese band I saw was Shonen Knife a few years ago, but they didn't make it onto the Island for last year's tour.

Polysics and Devo are playing together in Japan at the end of their tours. I haven't seen or heard Shonen Knife but a friend keeps talking about them. He always forgets to bring the CD.... Dammm hippies and their short term memory issues :) I should just go to his house and latch on to it.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw Steve Earle a few weeks back. Great show. Solo acoustic - pretty much. He did have a guy who did some sound mixing on stage with him for a few songs. He played for a good long time and covered material from "Guitar Town" to his latest "Washington Square Serenade" and everything in between. His wife Allison Moorer opened the show, again solo acoustic. Cannot say I enjoyed that part of the evening!

Josh

I think I forgot to mention Unknown Hinson. He has played Little Rock twice and is always a treat.

Here are some pics.

Unknown Hinson

IMG_0554.JPG

Ex-Girl : )

DSC01486.JPG

Zolar-X

DSC01726.JPG

Local Band Hector Faceplant

IMG_0568.JPG

Polysics requested no cameras and I was bummed.

Guest srobak

Man I love living in Chicagoland... anything you want :)

B-52's tonight at House Of Blues
Proclaimers tonight at DoubleDoor
Gary Sinise & The Lt. Dan Band tomorrow night at Joe's
Urge Overkill tomorrow night at Bottom Lounge
Bill Cosby sat night in Joliet
Megadeth tues night at Aragon Ballroom (they're still alive?)
Ministry next thurs at House Of Blues
Dolly Parton next thurs at Chicago Theater
Englebert Humperdinck next fri at Star Plaza (Merrilville)
Crowded House next sat at The Vic
The Police, Elvis Costello, The Imposters - next sat at Allstate Arena (way too small for that show)
Was Not Was (walk the dinosaur) next sat at Abbey Pub
Duran Duran 5/14 at Rosemont Theatre
KT Tunstall 5/16 at Vic Theatre
Duke Tumatoe & Power Trip Trio 5/16 at Kingston Mines
The Cure 5/17 at Allstate Arena
The Ventures 5/17 at Beverly Arts Center
Kenny Rogers 5/18 in Joliet
Finger 11 5/20 in Libertyville
Rush 5/20 in Moline
STP 5/22 at Northerly Island
George Clinton 5/28 in Libertville
Anthrax 5/28 at DoubleDoor
Van Halen 5/30 at Allstate Arena (way too small for this)

Just this past Monday evening, saw a heavy metal show. On the bill, was Ensiferum, Turisas, Tyr, Eluveitie, Tyr, and Sil Vet. That was on hell of a lineup if you liked Viking/Folk metal. It was also a sold-out show and it was just plain crazy that night:

Check this out! How often do you see violin or even an accordian at a metal show? This is Turisas that was playing these (plus check out that face paint!)

IMG_2389Medium.jpg

IMG_2388Medium.jpg

Or how often see one of THESE played at a heavy metal show, as demonstrated by Eluveitie!

IMG_2373Medium.jpg

And a picture of one of the Guitarist from Ensiferum

IMG_2397Medium.jpg

Overall, it was just one friggan incredible show. Of the bands that played, my favorite was Turisas. They have quite an interesting sound, often incorparating some pretty big epic sounds in thier music. Also, I've got the chance to hang out and chat with some of these musictions after the show. Really awesome folks here that friggan obviously love what they are doing.

As for some upcoming concerts? Well, tommorrow evening, I'll be seeing Circa, Odin's Court (one of my good friend's band), and Kinetic Element (whom I've never even heard of before, so will be interesting to see how they sound). Going from some serious head-banging Viking metal to more sophisticated progressive rock is going to be a change of pace. Then Saturday night, friggan Symphony X with Epica and Into Eternity! I've seen all these bands before, plus another sold-out show, so again that is going to be one crazy night. Sunday will probably major crashout and recovery after all this! After this weekend, don't really see anything that will really "grabs" me. I'll be seeing Rush at the Nissan Pavilion in July and after that, did not really see anything I really wanted to see until August 3rd when Suspyre (who's album I played at the Pilgrimage last June), Odin's Court and Dark Empire will be playing. The concert I am really looking forward to is ProgPower USA in Atlanta at the end of September!

Looking farther into the future, friggan SONATA ARCTICA!!!!! playing on the 28th of August! And after that Kamelot and Edguy!!!! as well as Circle II Circle and Manticora!!! Holy $#!+ there are going to be some friggan totally kick @$$ shows coming up in the fall!

On the topic of great things now gone to the big arena in the sky...

Many years ago (uh, 30-ish?) at this place in Hartford called the Agora Ballroom, long since gone, my girlfriend and I saw the Guess Who and Def Leppard together. Place was a big, empty concrete shell, temporary seating set up for each show, floor sloped from back to front to the stage, so much beer running down that the first few rows were in, like 8" of pooling beer, sound just echoed and reverbrated off the concrete walls, people screaming... ah, the good ole days...