Need help finding the right match receiver

BigBadWolf

[ip]From where I live, a Klipsch(or any other Hi-Fi) product cost about 3 times more than from where you guys are. So...choosing a system must be done with a bit more consideration, coz its isn't likely that you gonna get another chance soon.....but enough for my intro, here's my humble question.

For the same money(just don't ask how much..coz its A LOT[:$]) I could get an Onkyo 606 with Klipsch Cinema 6 (Due to living room restrictions, Wife does not allowed anything more massive in size(I initially look at the RF series)...or there will be NO home theater purchase). Or I could get a Marantz SR4002 with a set of Cinema 8 at exactly the same price. The first question is which reciever is generally more suitable to Klipsch, and the second question is that a more expensive and newer reciever like the 606 along with inferior speaker system(Cinema6) would be better or worse than a set of inferior reciever mate to a set of superior speaker(Cinema8)?!?!?

I've heard some expert recommendation that the speaker investment should be more expensive than the Receiver, but some whould argue otherwise as well.... I'll be making a purchase within a few weeks and will be getting an 8" velodyne sub to go with the either system that I take home.

This will ultimately be my very first Home Theater system(all those in-da-box doesn't count) so please......help me with all your expertise.

Dude,

BigBadWolf with the avitar you have really says alot!! Klipsch would probably not be in buiseness today if the men who own Cornerhorns waited for wives that said "G honey, why don't you get those big ones in the corners". "Wife will not allow"!! Are you shure you are in the correct forum here?? Note the term "Man Cave" so often used here. With those statements made, you are always better off going with the best speakers you can afford and cheaper means of driving them than the other way arround.

Roger

It's okay Roger,

I forgive you for having a hard time getting along with people who have different opinion, decorate their house or live different life-style from you. Am I in the correct forum? I'm sure as Hell am if half the people here are such an ignorant as yourself . With those statements made, thanks for your reply and recommendation by the way.

I gotta agree, "BIG BAD WOLF" should be telling the wife, not asking. But we all have fought or will fight that fight at some point. There aren't many on the forum that will say good stuff about the RSX line. Klipsch made these to compete with the HTIB, so though they are better than most HTIB speakers, they are still in a catagory that most of us feel is sub-standard.

Hey Big Bad - I would sincerely reccomend the RB system. You said that this is to be your first "real" home theater but in all honesty all you would be getting is a REALLY GOOD HTIB setup. There are a lot of options out there for people with limited space. There are the bookshelf lines which would produce much better realism and quality for a step up in price.

If price is the concern and you can't afford more than the cinema series then that's that. If you can afford to spend more money go for the bookshelf stuff. I have auditioned the bookshelf's for almost every reference series. While not for me (because I like bigger) I could see how someone could fall in love with any of the higher level bookshelf speakers - they truly sound phenomenal for their size.

Another thing you may want to look at are Hersey's! They are really small (I guess small is relative), sound better than any reference speaker, and are affordable if you can find them used (even if you pay shipping from a forum member or off Ebay, you can easily pick up 2 of them for 400 bucks you would just have to pay extra to ship. If you had a system of 5 herseys, you would completely blow your mind, especially compaired to the cinema series.

Big Bad,

First I should say, welcome to the forum. After that, I would say I have friends and family that are both wealthy or have just about nothing, so I wouldn't hold someones bottom line against them. If these are what you can afford, I say go with the better speakers as the better option. I could not care less how someone decorates. I am fairly closed minded on my opinions, but ignorance would be a mistatement as I am well informed to make my arguments, neither am I unintelligent but I don't feal the need to lament to prove a point. I was however raised in a household where my mother wore the pants in the family. In my household, I wear the pants. Most of the time, I let my wife do what ever she wants as I usually really just don't care, but by no means does she have the final say on anything. I will now observe a moment of silence for your nads...

I further can understand if you don't involve yourself in the bills and she has to keep a leash on spending. Almost nobody starts out with all the things we want. You are correct about another thing as well; I don't understand living a different lifestyle as I don't understand gay marriage either... Must be part of that closed mind of mine.

After fully giving you a hard time about the way you have decided to live your marriage; I would have to say that I fully agree with wsu99999. If you can find a way to finacially swing it, you will be much happier buying the used Herisies then what you are looking at. They will last you forever, can be upgraded in the future, will hold their value alot better then what you are looking at, and are much better for two channel stereo listening. I have seen some members give others a good deal hear as they know their babies will be taken care of, and you can bet that anyone who takes the time to post here, probably takes better care of their equipement then the average owner. Ebay can be another source for a good buy, but watch alot of auctions to see what stuff goes for and pay attention to feedback, most people have earned what others have to say. Have you ever had the chance to listen to a set of Hereseys??

Roger

Used Heresies are a really good deal and not hard to find. I'm using Heresy IIs for my center and surround speakers and they do a great job. For a few weeks, I had the surround Heresies hooked up to a high end 500Wpc Yamaha power amp and they sounded even better, so if you get better amplification at some point down the road, the Heresies will let you hear the difference.

To sweeten the deal even more, when your budget allows it, you could upgrade Heresy IIs to Heresy IIIs, which would give you improved sensitivity and bass response for not a lot of money.

Size-wise, Heresy speakers are small as Heritage models go, but they're around the size of a medium microwave oven, if that helps you visualize them in your room.

As for a sub, 10 inch or larger is usually recommended. The 8 inch ones are mostly real "starter" stuff, with all the limitations that implies. Is anyone else familiar with the Velodyne 8 inch model?

With sound systems, like with so much else, it's more economical to get what you want at the start, instead of being dissatisfied and wanting to trade up to something more expensive after a few months.

Islander,

My two siblings and I bought a complete surround system and telivision for my parents, but my mom uses it mostly. I selected the components. I bought her a Velodyne HGS-10 in a dealer demo clear accrylic case. The HGS-10s have a bad reputation for amp problems, but she has had it for 3 Christmases and no problems yet. Output is impressive for such a tiny unit and the black ones can be had for arround $500 used.

Roger

Clear acrylic? That must look pretty cool! So is the HGS-10 a 10-incher or 8-incher? If you call a 10-incher a tiny unit, you can see how an 8-inch sub might be inadequate for some listeners, although if your mom is like mine, pounding bass is not a high priority.

In my system, I'm using a Paradigm PW-2100. It has a 10-inch driver and keeps up with the Jubscalas easily. It was under $500 used and goes for about $950 new here.

bbw,the Onkyo would be fine for mostly HT,lots of great features.The Marantz would be best for music and HT given past performance.The best Klipsch speakers for you are the ones that fit your budget and decore,good luck.

Roger,

From where I live, there's no such thing as gay marriage, something widely practise in your home-town I presume. Maybe you could educate others a bit about gay marriage, since I don't have extensive knowledge about gay as you do.

I am 29 years old and a main provider of my family(a quality so important to my culture), and just move into my newly constructed 4300sq/ft. 4 bedroom house in a beautiful suburb. It may not be as huge as your granddaddy's castle, but its all I can afford at the time. My parents do have quite a lot more money and live in a much larger place than I do, however I am not accustom to stay with them for an extended period of time after my highschool graduation or begging them for money. Compare to where you live, my salary isn't that much for my level of responsibility, but its enough to afford my own new house along with some extras in life without putting me in any credit card debt. And yes, my wife has to put a lid on my spending from time to time to stay debt-free in this credit card infested world... Something you may not understand or accustom to as well.

Roger, Islander, Brac, wsu99999, and others,

Thanks for all your alternative suggestions, but one thing I may have to add is that In my country, there's only one authorized Klipsch importer(many dealers, but they all order products from this single importer). And the product selection is very bad, to begin with they only import a handful of Reference series, only enough to make their margin and never order anymore shipment. They also have some part of the Synergy series along with Cinema/Quintet sub-sat sets and all the i-pod crap(which make easy sales). A usual answer form the sales is always "Why don't you look at some other brands we also carry.". Not only that, the market for Hi-Fi equipment here isn't as well developped as in many other countries, so besides some shady pawnshop deal, its terribly hard to find a good set of "not so beat up" used speakers or Hi-Fi equipment. Many time I spend drooling at countless on-line store operating in the US or EU knowing what I knew could't buy(I have to pay a very hefty tax on delivery which brings the price up to roughly the same with the authorized importer anyway)

Due to the size of my TV room which is a closed space of only 3.5m*4.5m and the way we decorated it with built-in furnitures, the only option that would be possible form the RF would be the RF10, which is sadly out of stock with no plan of reorder("too old" they say). The RF52 would make a very tight fit only with some "crude sawing modification" which I think would ruin the acoustic and isn't worthed at all. That brings me back to the RB series...the RB10 have been all sold-out over half year ago, so is the RB51 which the dealer "some-what promise" may be restock within 2-3 months...along with a kind suggestion for me not to hold my breath. That brings me up to the RB61 which IMO is a bit too pricey over here(a set of four and an RC62 would cost me about $3,000...and I still have to look for the SUB) and a bit too large for my listening area

I have been out listening to many different brands of speakers in this limited market and it seems that the mushy sound British speakers are more widely available.. anything from Mordaunt-Short to KEF and all other similar character speakers. I'm no Hi-Fi expert, but I know what I want...but from my circumstances it seem like I don't really have much choice afterall.

Islander,

In the market with 230v electrical current, Velodyne does offer a CHT-R line, which comes in 8", 10", 12", and 15" sizes. The reason I choose the 8" was from the friend's recommendation relative to the size of my closed TV room.

OldBuckster,

Would you let me know why would you prefer Marantz4002 over an Onkyo606?

Thanks for all you welcoming guys.

• Moderators

I'm not sure how this degraded into a chest-beating contest so quickly, but let's turn the corner and offer helpful suggestions without it.

Thanks all, and welcome to the forum!

• Moderators

I'm not sure how this degraded into a chest-beating contest so quickly, but let's turn the corner and offer helpful suggestions without it.

Chest beating? I think they are about to begin pulling chest hairs! Let's play nice shall we?

i am just curious....big bad, you said the HT stuff in "your area" is more expencive? well in most of anything you buy in a store is going to be more money than what you find on the net. i went to www.hifiheaven.net and found the RF-82 pgk for less than $2000 shipped to me.

i personally have had the same ht stuff for 10years, mainly becaue i have lived in an apartement and i saw no point in upgrading because i wouldn't be able to turn the volume up. now i am moving into my first home and i saved to i can buy all my new ht stuff at once. for most people that is not possible. i took my time and saved everything i could (stimulis pkg, tax returns, overtime pay, etc). now for my sacrifice, i have enough money to buy an entire ht set up (see sig) at one time.

enough about me....

take this advice...go to the stores and hear what speakers they have, then take some time and search for them cheaper on the net. there are many different places so it may take a little time. since money is tight, buy the front main speakers first and a cheap receiver just so you can use the speakers. after some time, buy more speakers (center and sub), then worry about your surrounds.

it was mentioned earlier, the speakers will last forever...spend the most on them. electroncis you will change often (unless our cheap like me or your stuck in an apartement). like i said earlier, i have a ksf 10.5, ksf-c5, ksb 1.1 and ksw12 that i bought in 97 or 98 and they still sound amazing.

if you don't have enough money now, just wait and save more money....try $15 a week, (i do that for christmas, at the end of the year i have $800+).

good luck

i'm sorry i just skipped past some stuff, i didn't see where you have to go throuh just one guy....my bad...

but same advice as before, if you can't afford now what you want, take your time and save untill you can get it.