Center and Surrounds for Heritage System

PYRO

Next month I will be moving into my new house. The room will be 15X20, 9ft ceilings, opening to kitchen/dining area that is 20X20. My system will be in a space that has about 7 feet between my Mains - LSII's.

So the big question, of course I already know the answer get another LSII for the Center and since KLIPSCH is not introducing a modern solution for a heritage center I need to ask it again.

Option 1

LSII Center

Hersey III Surrounds

Option 2

CWIII Center

CWIII Surrounds

Option 3

LSII Center

CWIII Surrounds

Option 4

Hersey III Center

Hersey III Surrounds

Would like to hear comments of heritage owners........THXS

i would get a LSll for center and skip the surrounds for now if money is an issue. 3 LSll's across the front is seamless and a flat panel TV above the center is perfect height.

option 1 would be my first choice. option 4 would be my second choice.

PYRO,

My living room is roughly the same as yours.............I'd go with the Above Recommendation of three LS in front, and get Heresys for the Rear or surround duties..............Please Post some Pics when you do get the toys setup..........Good Luck.

Pyro,

Why not 5 channel LSII?? otherwise option 3. Their are systems available that put out 5 channel stereo as well as surround sound. With the full dynamics of 2 channel going through all 5 speakers, the sound can be alot louder and / or more completely fill the room.

I have glass tops cut for all of my speakers. My biggest pet peave is some A-hole that let his signif-other put a plant ring on his heritage, or someone who should be disected who leaves a drink sitting at a party.

Cost depends on thickness the most. Most cities of better then 50,000 population will have a custom glass shop. Just look in your yellow pages for something local. You can get clear, smoke, mirrored, etc., with ground or polished or beveled ends. I like 3/8" thick glass for all my speakers as the thicker glass is alot more resistant to brake if someone drops something. The glass will cover up alot of small imperfections. 3/8" is also about as thick as most glass shops can handle, they have to send out to larger sources to do the thicker stuff. My glass 3/8" thick tops in clear with basic ground edges cost me about $100 each for corner horn tops. I custom ordered 3/4" clear glass with a basic bevel cut and polished edges for my Velodyne HGS-18IIs and they cost me just over $400 for the two of them, of course these are a basic rectangle and much smaller then a LaScala top would be, and talk about heavy!!!! Most glass shops will gice you small round clear plastic discs to put under your tops to help prevent them from walking when your speakers are jamming and they help, but I find silly putty to work even better, and you don't really notice it. I have even walked the 3/4" glass with the plastic discs on my subs...

Roger

Budman do u have some pictures that u can post. THXS.

NEVERmind, saw them in another thread.

Where did you get the glass tops? Cost?

k-horns glass tops cost $60 ea. and i think cornwall tops were 30 so i think tops for yours would be around 40 ea. i get them from my local auto glass installer. i would recommend getting them ASAP. get some 1/4 inch velcro pads to put on the glass so it is not directly sitting on the veneer.

I like option 4, everything matches sonically, in every detail. Option 2 is also pretty cool, but I was never a big Cornwall fan. I just inherited a pair of 1962 Khorns and a 1962 Heresy center, not the great match it was designed to be, the other problem is that the corners are 30' apart.

How about 2 KHorns and a La Scala II center. "In for a penny, in for a pound"

I think I would go with option #4. Having Heresy as rear/surrounds sems the best option, one reason they are small enough to give you better placement options.

Either way this should be a Killer HT

trust me, a heresy for center between LSll's is not the answer. i used a RC3 for center between my k-horns for years, then a heresy for years, then a vertical cornwall for years and then i finally put a lascala between them. perfection. my kid said dad what did you do to the system, its awesome. all 3 front speakers had the same midrange and tweeter. i am now using a belle between them because i gave my lascalas and a single belle to my son who moved out and bought a new home.

Right now I am leaning towards option 1 or 3.

All LSII's are out of the question.

Went back and did some measurements today and if I have three LSII's there will only be about 14" between each of them.

I will end up getting glass tops. But I am not married and my friends know better. :)

• Moderators

I would say option #1 but for the rears maby give a listen to the speakers Bhendrix suggested, they would be much easier to mount than Heresy's.

If not option #1, LaScala center for sure, a Heresy lll or Cornwall lll will have a different midrange horn and will sound different no matter what. imo

Many people said the same when I asked (although not Heritage) about a center for Forte ll's. I never realized how much of a difference an exact match across the front 3 would make until I heard it, it's worth it for sure, seamless. They were all correct, thanks.

Went back and did some measurements today and if I have three LSII's there will only be about 14" between each of them.

7 feet, in that case skip the center all together

Then what, turn center off in setup and have center signaling go to the mains??

• Moderators

I would guess, you could always add a center if you don't like the sound. At 7' apart I don't know if you would even hear a difference with no center ? How far do you sit back from where the center would be, that may make a difference, 7' or 8' back you may not even miss a center ?

Wow. advising against a center, I'm shocked. If you tell him he doesn't need a sub, I may faint. That is prett close, but I'm suprised by the advise. I would by intrested in you testing weather you notice a difference.