Do you like these custom Heresy speakers?

They are growing on me.

The finish is Minwax PolyShades, and the tone of the cherry color is nice, but the product is difficult to apply evenly. I put a lot of coats on to hide the repairs in the old birch veneer. Grills are my own design, made of solid Port Orford Cedar, which I thought would look nice natural. But I didn't like the look so I painted them with Rustoleum Satin Black spray paint.

At first I wasn't sure, but now I think I like this look. They are for sale. I guess I should list them in the garage sale section, but I wanted opinions here first. If enough people really object to these, I could always use the grills on another pair of Heresy's and make other grills.

Greg

post-11090-13819374715844_thumb.jpg

I like them.

My impression is that the present market does not like the "just a box" theme. So anything with a curve is a nice visual accent.

What I don't find appealing: The H3 has little riser with an arch. That reminds me of the Craftsmen ? or Shaker style. Somehow, it is like a rocker for Granny.

One the other hand, your use of black as a contrast and with the tilt is appealing. I'm not so sure about the grill cloth being recessed. It starts to look a bit like a picture frame with nothing in it.

So maybe bevel the front surface of the frame and bring the grill forward. Hard to describe. I know it would be a lot of work. It could be getting closer to Art Deco with a use of repetitive geometric forms. OTOH, a some more advanced version of what you have, along those lines, with the H could be a very big seller.

I see you're asking for criticism. I really hesitate to comment on a work of art..

The rosewood LS are very good of course. I held my thoughts back.

Let me start by saying that I have a Mac C26 preamp. The combination of two selector switches for eyes and the rectangular push buttons for teeth, it looks like a robot face on the left side.

Somewhat similarly, the rosewood LS look a bit like a one-eyed robot (tweeter) with a big mouth (the midrange). The feet complete the effect. Now, maybe people like that, and we can't get away from it with exposed and centered horns.

On the other hand, the two front "feet" of the H you posted does not quite get to the robot theme.

A PWK pie slice logo would be a nice accent for the H at the top of the frame.

Please know I say the above with all kindness. You did ask, though.

Congrats on your many creations.

Gil

Thanks everyone. Yes I did ask for it, and I like the feedback. Please keep it coming.

Robot. I didn't even think of that. [H]

The black is simply Rustoleum Satin Black spray paint. If it looks like piano gloss black to you then I think it's the pics. But they do look really nice in person.

The more I look at these speakers the more I like them. My wife liked them right away, she didn't even hesitate. I wasn't sure.

One thing I don't like is how the backs of the speakers sit on the floor. I'm thinking that some sort of small black frame for the back that gives the speaker one point of contact in the back center, but you see the frame "cradle" the back of the speaker from the sides. I think the black at the back corners would be a nice detail.

I tried pie slice logos in several areas, and a couple of different other logos, and my wife and I both like the ones that are on there the best, so that's what we went with.

I'm not changing these Heresy's. I made the decision to stick em on ebay and see what happens.

I've also got to stop working on Heresy's all together. I just don't make enough on them to make it worthwhile. I've got one more set in the shop left to do and I'm done. Yes I could just sell them as is, but I sort of made a commitment when I obtained all these old Heritage speakers, and I want to see it through.

Greg

post-11090-13819374717454_thumb.jpg

Great work as always!!

The only thing I would want differrent(if these were going to be mine) is I would want some of that beautiful Cherry wood showing on the front!

Make the front black wood frame in Cherry and keep the black grill cover.

The great thing about the work you do on KHorns is you see 80-90% of your woodworking and it always looks fantastic. La Scalas also you can see alot of the woodwork you do. That is why your work on the KHorn and La Scalas looks sooo good you can see so much of the wood from the front.

However on Heresys and Cornwalls when looking at them from a seating postion you can only see a small amount of your wookwork.

Very nice.

I agree that the grille appears to be recessed too much though I'm not sure how I'd change it but I like Gil's idea if I'm envisioning it correctly. I'd also like to see some Cherry in the front but the contrast of the black and cherry is a cool look.

I'm not sure about the back of the speakers sitting on the floor, maybe add a small riser bas in the same black?

But I'm not sure I'd change a thing as they are beautiful as is and any changes might destroy the look but maybe use some of the variants on the other Heresy speakers I think you mentioned you had left to finish.

Exquisite work as always.

They do look like Shorthorns very nice spin on a classic klipsch theme. These are great looking speakers. Keep up the great work. If you get tired of building houses go into the speaker building business.

Really beautiful work!

The visual element really appeals to me, and I do wonder about the possibility of increased HF diffraction effects that MAY be associated with the inside edge of the grille that stands out-and-away from the surface of the baffle. If you don't notice a difference, or prefer to listen with the grilles removed, it doesn't matter. There are ways to reduce diffraction potentials, but installing felt or open-cell foam around that edge would really ruin the otherwise incredible look.

Erik