Klipsch LaScala

RayCanales

Im currently trying to purchase some LaScalas how can I tell how old they are and where can I buy any upgrades to the Xover I know I heard of one Xover that is supposedly better than the original.

Im replacing my KLF 30's with the Lascalas is this a good choice I like my music loud LOUD LOUDs> I drive the KLF30 with B&K 3220 will this AMP perform well with the LasCala?

thanks

Scala's can play louder than you can stand. They'll make your ears bleed and you'll like it. I don't know about your B&K. I don't feel any need to mess crossover tweaking I trust Paul Klipsch to do it right. Here's a link with S/N dates.

http://www.klipsch.com/ubb/uploads/Matt+Whatley/HOME_SN_FORMAT.doc

------------------

Yamaha RX-V620 receiver

1976 Klipsch La Scala's

Klipsch KSW12 Sub.

Klipsch SC1 Center

Klipsch KG 3.5 rears

Panasonic RV31 DVD

Sharp 32" TV

Ray-

Having never heard the LaScalas I do gather from others on here that they (LaScalas) don't have the bass extension the 30's do.

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany (Hotwired)

McIntosh C33 Preamp

McIntosh MVP-841 CD/DVD

Rotel RB-1080 Amp

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 mkII Cartridge

Stanton P888SS Cartridge

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette (getting an overhaul)

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300mk II

Monster Video 2 (DVD to TV)

Monster Power HTS-5000

MIT Terminator 2 Bi-Wire Speaker cables

Studio Tech U-48RW Cabinet

Vibrapods

Enough empty boxes for a fire hazard!

If you like it LOUD, do not substantially modify the factory crossover. The factory crossovers have tweeter protection built in them and it's required. The tweeter can handle about 2 watts continuous and 10 watts peak. The spec varies a little depending on where you hear it, but this seems to be a reliable set of ratings.

Here is the crossover upgrade you're heard about: http://www.alkeng.com/klipsch.html. Al's crossover's don't have any tweeter protection. However, they do sound superb.

La Scalas won't go as deep as your 30s do, but the bass is clean and "quick" and obviously natural for the frequencies the bass horn covers. Sitting in a corner, on the floor, the bass horn begins to roll off below about 55 Hz. Be sure to listen to them before you buy. OTOH, La Scalas can comfortably reach 120 dB at 1 meter and the pair easily hits 110 dB in my 16' x 18' x 21' x 19' room.

If you like deep bass consider a pair of monster subwoofers.

John

This message has been edited by John Albright on 01-21-2002 at 08:52 PM

Ray,

I also have a KLF-30s setup. I recently tried the Lascalas for about 2 weeks and did not like the sound compared to the KLF-30s. The 30's sound more alive with more clarity. The lascala just sounded muffeled for some reason. I got rid of the lascala.

Trust me once you're used to the KLF30 nothing will compare.

Carl my hometheater

Carl

This message has been edited by CarlV on 01-24-2002 at 03:45 PM

The LaScalas won't throb like these kids' cars that have subwoofers the size of washtubs. If this is what people call bass I don't need it. LaScalas have a very natural sounding bass,and sound more like live music than any other speaker. Do you want real music,or do you want to impress with subsonics? Let your ears be your guide. Mine tell me real music,real LOUD!

Lone Palm---Agreed, the LSs have natural sounding bass and are very good speakers. But I don't agree that they sound more like live music than any other speaker, there are other horn speakers out there that do at least as good a job as LSs; Altecs, JBLs, EVs, CARs and Edgars come to mind. All make or made speakers that share the dynamics and low distortion of LSs, I've found that as a group good horns share the same basic qualities though differing somewhat in "flavor".

RayCanales,

Bottom line, either the La Scala or the KLF-30 will run you out of the room with output.

The KLF-30 driven by additional wattage will get just as loud as a La Scala (50 vs 100).

Don't buy the La Scalas for LOUD if you already have about 100 watts or so. You won't hear much of a difference in volume but you will hear a lot of difference in bottom end.

Though if you are looking for wonderful midrange, the La Scalas can provide this to you better than the KLFs.

I did have La Scalas and KLFs for about three months. Sold the La Scalas because I liked better bottom end though the KLFs midrange can't keep up.

Peter Z.

I am going to see and audition a pair of LaScala this week.Smile.gif

The buyer wants $1400CAN and told me the speakers are in almost perfect shape.I will see into that.

I want to hear how the LaScala sounds.If the condition

is great and the sound right I may get them.

If it drives you out of the room then its a real Klipsch. Wink.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears