Cornwall Project

bliss53

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be 55s but I only have B3 networks for the K52/57 right now so I made an attempt at the adapters. I have 3 other heresies as well and a pair of 55vs in my lascalas. Noah has a set of Crites Bs that I may audition along with what ever you have to try out.

I would not say it is solved yet. My hand shaped and smothed taper in the adapter transition may not stand up to a listening test. We will see. I may hook them up before paint and finish to check them out.

bliss,

Please contunue to post your take on the adapters. What you constructed looks great. However, I too have been a bit disturbed with the transition.

Round peg into a squire hole so to speak. At first, (gutt feeling only) I felt that the first inch or so in the throat would be insigificant. I now understand otherwise. ??

Thanks,

tc

PS Edit: Not speaking of a specific driver, but the transition in general.

Guest David H

Not speaking of a specific driver, but the transition in general.

Bliss, if you become overly concerned about the transition from round driver to square throat, it is simple to rectify. From my testing, functional and listening, I feel this transition has little to no effect when using the K-55 or K52. I make an adapter for use with JBL and ALtec drivers, that can benefit from the smooth transition, but these drivers will not fit in a Cornwall cabinet, unless you go to a 2" horn like Greg928gts makes which is a much shorter horn lens, due to the use of the 2".

Here is a photo of the adapter. If you have any questions about how to mod the adapter give me a call, and I will explain it in detail.

post-24405-13819486056484_thumb.jpg

Not speaking of a specific driver, but the transition in general.

Bliss, if you become overly concerned about the transition from round driver to square throat, it is simple to rectify. From my testing, functional and listening, I feel this transition has little to no effect when using the K-55 or K52. I make an adapter for use with JBL and ALtec drivers, that can benefit from the smooth transition, but these drivers will not fit in a Cornwall cabinet, unless you go to a 2" horn like Greg928gts makes which is a much shorter horn lens, due to the use of the 2".

Here is a photo of the adapter. If you have any questions about how to mod the adapter give me a call, and I will explain it in detail.

That looks really good.[Y][Y]

tc

I used the b3 network, k77m, the K57 with my adapters and the k33. The cabinet paint and finish are not complete but I could not wait. I was very impressed. The mids are greatly improved. I now know what the mids sound like without the resonance and coloration of the stock horns. Very very clean and clear. Bela Fleck and some older Jewel sounded great on hdcd. I have a motor rebuild going on my thorens td 124 so i will have to wait for ultimate test with some of my reference vinyl. Some Yes, Donald Fagen, Pink Floyd, Miles Davis, and Mark Knofler. There is a much better integration between the highs and the mids over the stock horns. The integration of the the mids and the bass is different from that of stock lascalas with alk es crossovers. I think the lascalas are smoother. With these horns I think the modified cornwalls are more suited to the size of my room than the lascalas. I am looking forward to trying an ALK designed B network with some crites 125 and K55v mid drivers. Thanks for the great horn upgrade Dave.

Guest David H

Bliss, I am pleased you like the horns. I am anxious to see the finished product, your project is coming along beautiful.

In my experiance the ALK crossovers are top notch. When I installed the ALK's and K-55 's my system I noticed better detail at low level, and more control over the top end at high volumes. Overall smoother response, and reduced sibilance. I am curious to hear your take on them.

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the ALK design B crossovers with Crites ct125s, K57 drivers with homemade adapters last night. I had previously tried the same set up with the original B3 networks (with new caps). The ALK is better. The ALK is more cohesive and focused. The B3 low end sounded a bit disconnected. A little like a poorly matched sub woofer was being used. The B3 might have had a bit more detail in the mids and highs.

The other comparison that I am making as I go through this process is to my stock la sacalas with ALK ES networks. The cornwall seems better suited to my room size. It seems like I need a room that is 6 or more feet deeper for the la scalas. The la scala is more dynamic especially in the bass but the trade off is the lack of the lowest bass.

The cabinet depth on my cornwalls is not standard. The interior depth is 13 3/8. This issue has caused some problems with trying to fit the K55 and the required adapter in my cabinets. Gothover and I are working on a solution.

I plan to try some K52 adapters compliments of Noah. The opening in the K52 adapter appears to be larger in diameter than the hole in my homemade adapter which is fashioned after the mouth shape of the K57 plastic horn.

I will report on further testing. If the testing ever ends I will continue with the painting, finshing and grills.

Guys,

I just had a customer with a set of Cornwall IIs install a set of my AP12-600 + ES5800 networks. These were not designed for the Cornwall so I didn't realize until just lately that they are compatible with either the original Cornwall or the Cornwall II simply by adjusting the transformer taps. Anyhow, he seemed to be happy with the upgrade. This makes my original "type B" replacement totally obsolete!

Al k.

Guest David H

These were not designed for the Cornwall so I didn't realize until just lately that they are compatible with either the original Cornwall or the Cornwall II simply by adjusting the transformer taps.

Thats good info, With the horns you are running the 500Hz network should work fine.

I would think the squalker and tweeter taps would need to be dropped 3db for this application.

These taps you speak of, are these a type of dancing shoe? I obvioulsy need my hand held on this process. Is there a thread out there? Any guidance in picture form? I know that there is a jumper that can be moved to change the tweeter output. Is this the same thing? Please be kind to the ignorant.

The AP12-500 crosses over at 500 Hz. It's pushing the low end of the squawker horn a bit but you might be able to get away with it. The 600 Hz version is the right thing for the Cornwall. You certainly could try it for a while to see if it makes the sound you want and later exchange the AP12-500 for an AP12-600 . Both designs are on my web site for DIY projects.

Al K.

The AP12-500 crosses over at 500 Hz. It's pushing the low end of the squawker horn a bit but you might be able to get away with it. The 600 Hz version is the right thing for the Cornwall. You certainly could try it for a while to see if it makes the sound you want and later exchange the AP12-500 for an AP12-600 . Both designs are on my web site for DIY projects.

Al K.

Al,

So I do not need to make any changes to the crossovers?

These taps you speak of, are these a type of dancing shoe?

According to Wikipedia: A transformer tap is a connection point along a transformer winding that allows a certain number of turns to be selected. By this means, a transformer with a variable turns ratio is produced, enabling voltage regulation of the output.

The transformer on the crossover will have three or more connection points, each of which will give a different output, allowing you to adjust the relative volume level of the driver that's connected to that transformer.

Guys,

I just had a customer with a set of Cornwall IIs install a set of my AP12-600 + ES5800 networks. These were not designed for the Cornwall so I didn't realize until just lately that they are compatible with either the original Cornwall or the Cornwall II simply by adjusting the transformer taps. Anyhow, he seemed to be happy with the upgrade. This makes my original "type B" replacement totally obsolete!

Al k.

Does this mean the ES5800 is compatible with the K-79 tweeter in the Cornwall II? I guess I thought it was not all along and us Cornwall II owners were out of luck. I guess this is great news!

Jeremy