Marcus Miller

Coytee

I heard his "Silver Rain" cd (or more fairly, a couple tracks of it) when I was at Ralph's in London. Came home and ordered the CD to listen to it a bit better. I only got it yesterday but a preliminary play was very rewarding. As Ralph pointed out to me, "the bass guitar is much higher in the mix than normal" as I'd made comment to him that there were things buzzing in my house that don't usually buzz.

I don't think I've heard much of him here...any other fans?

Funny you bring up Marcus Miller.....I use his M2 cd as my "standard" set-up cd.......

I always keep it out by my equipment rack and pop it in whenever I change a cable or some such non-sense ......

I just got done installing my BC recapped Xovers in my HII's , hooked them up and went to pop MM in....Nowhere to be found!!! Wifey cleaned up.....it was in my inbox under a stack of bills.

I need to get his latest.

Marcus wrote and played pretty much everything except trumpet on Miles Davis' masterpiece (well, one of his masterpieces anyway) Tutu. He's a true M.F. on his instrument and has a unique and very influential style, both musically as an arranger and production-wise. If you like more radio friendly jazz, he's done some work with David Sanborn as well. He's been behind a bunch of pop hits as well as less commercial projects.

I use his tracks all the time to beat up speakers.

I've got his Silver Rain cd... any other CD's you'd specifically mention as must haves? DVD's?

Ya see... I got some woofers that feel unloved. I wanna share some luv with them. Ironic that they feel no luv cause they're horny, iffen ya know what I mean.

[*-)]

Speaking of DVD's... man, I must be dumb as a rock...

Today, the mail came and there was a package there for me, clearly a CD type package. Turns out it is really a DVD. I had totally forgotten that I'd ordered Millers "Master of all Trades" dvd.

I hope it's good. Seems it's got some no-names on it...(Luther Vandross, Herbie Hancock, Roberta Flack...)

I hope it's good. Seems it's got some no-names on it...(Luther Vandross, Herbie Hancock, Roberta Flack...)

It's probably terrible.

If you send it to me I can dispose of it by selling it to the aforementioned purveyor of used items and I'll send you the $1.05 they give me for it.

I offer this service free of charge :)

I have Marcus Miller Tales, which I played a couple of tracks at the Pilgrimage. To be honest, I haven't heard too many other albums but I am willing to bet he is not a one hit wonder. The album is recorded well. I woudn't mind getting some of the other recordings. I would be curious as to others recommendations.

• 2 weeks later...

I have Marcus Miller Tales, which I played a couple of tracks at the Pilgrimage. To be honest, I haven't heard too many other albums but I am willing to bet he is not a one hit wonder. The album is recorded well. I woudn't mind getting some of the other recordings. I would be curious as to others recommendations.

Dude, I GUARANTEE you Marcus is NOT a one hit wonder. He's one of the finest musicians on the planet. He's probably just not in the spotlight as much because he primarily is known as a "bass player". The bass player curse, you know. I'm willing to bet most people don't have a clue that much of the music they hear in various jazz and rock are the bass player, not a guitar or keyboard with sampling. One listen to Marcus will tell you why we bass players use full-range rigs nowadays ~ complete with "tweeters".

BTW, his current discography has 511 entries. "records which include tracks where Marcus actually plays or sings"

"One listen to Marcus will tell you why we bass players use full-range rigs nowadays ~ complete with "tweeters".

Eden WT800 with a 410 XST was my last rig......kick ***!!!!

Edens are nice sounding rigs. They use an Eden stack as the house amp at Buddy Guys Legends.

My current usual rig is a Hartke 3500 head powering a Hartke 1155 combo bottom (1-15 + 5) with a Hartke 2x10XL. The "full stack" uses a Hartke 1x15XL + 4x10XL + 4x5XL HF array. Two of these are each powered by Hartke 3500 heads. I use an old DigiTech IPS33B for "stereo" effects.

For "vintage" gigs I use either an old Kustom 100 (the old tuck & roll naugahyde covered stuff) with a Kustom 1x15 loaded with a JBL D140F or a Kustom 400 with 2 of those bottoms. I also have a 67 & 68 Standel Studio15 and Super Artist15, also with JBL D140F.

BASS RULES [li]