A strange trip but khorn woofers have landed....

seti

The Kaiser and I listened to music for about two hours yesterday. This woofer upgrade is my second favorite after crossovers. Granted one woofer had two tears and performance was degraded. I have had two good listening sessions since the upgrade. On one song in particular that I know very well I heard low end detail that was previously glossed over but now I can hear it in greater detail. I think the low end is more pronounced or is the low end just more clear or maybe both not sure yet but will be listening over the weekend. The fact is my Klipschorns sound better. If you have old woofers it is worth the small investment. IMO If you wait for the tipping point it is too late.

IMG_0486.JPG

The cast frames sound excellent, clearer with a more rapid punch and recovery, if I did not have to trim (modify) my Las cabs I would put a pair in[:(] Probably won't get down to 16 but since you only listen to music they are perfect on the bottom[:D]

Always a good time listening with friends[;)]

The Kaiser and I listened to music for about two hours yesterday. This woofer upgrade is my second favorite after crossovers. Granted one woofer had two tears and performance was degraded. I have had two good listening sessions since the upgrade. On one song in particular that I know very well I heard low end detail that was previously glossed over but now I can hear it in greater detail. I think the low end is more pronounced or is the low end just more clear or maybe both not sure yet but will be listening over the weekend. The fact is my Klipschorns sound better. If you have old woofers it is worth the small investment. IMO If you wait for the tipping point it is too late.

IMG_0486.JPG

Glad you like them! [Y]

I am curious about the photo showing the cracks in the surround. Perhaps the experts could chime in.

Are those due to the speakers being chronically over-driven, or due to old age, or due to some indiscretion when an not-so-sober guest turns the knob up to "10"? What makes a speaker in a horn loaded cabinet go bad?

I have seen old Klipsch drivers before and I always impressed how good they look, despite their age (not true of sub-woofers however)

-Tom

I am curious about the photo showing the cracks in the surround. Perhaps the experts could chime in.

Are those due to the speakers being chronically over-driven, or due to old age, or due to some indiscretion when an not-so-sober guest turns the knob up to "10"? What makes a speaker in a horn loaded cabinet go bad?

I have seen old Klipsch drivers before and I always impressed how good they look, despite their age (not true of sub-woofers however)

-Tom

I do know that something led to one of the woofers being replaced as they were mismatched when I got them. My guess is that both should have been replaced at the same time. I doubt it was old age but I am curious about what could cause cracks.

The cast frames sound excellent, clearer with a more rapid punch and recovery, if I did not have to trim (modify) my Las cabs I would put a pair inSad Probably won't get down to 16 but since you only listen to music they are perfect on the bottomBig Smile

Always a good time listening with friendsWink

kaiser,

You dont have to modify your LaScala base bins to make Bobs woofers fit. you can grind some off of the two sides of the woofer frame. The EV15W-K woofer fits right into a LaScala base bin without modification and has the added benifit of being orriginal equipement for Klipsch. I am going to have a 4 woofer comparison, but I know for a fact that the newer round magnet Eminence K-33E wasn't even close when I compared it back and forth (I changed it twice with my brother in law / also a CornerHorn owner) with the Electro Voice woofer. The EV was much better sounding, but I want to try all 4 speekers, with 3 guys that own K-Horns, and two of us also own LaScalas, and a third guy who is the only private reconer in the country recomended by Electro Voice who works on EV 30Ws.

Roger

I will get a set of those ............... I have to wait awhile though, just got done explaining why New Crossovers needed New Tweeters, in speakers I have just bought, that were the best, why all this work is needed? .............. Sound familar ? .... Soon, very soon woofers, then the diaphrams in the Mid Horns, and my Cornwalls will be done, better than new, and ready to ROCK ................ dam voices !!!!!!!!

I will get a set of those ............... I have to wait awhile though, just got done explaining why New Crossovers needed New Tweeters, in speakers I have just bought, that were the best, why all this work is needed? .............. Sound familar ? .... Soon, very soon woofers, then the diaphrams in the Mid Horns, and my Cornwalls will be done, better than new, and ready to ROCK ................ dam voices !!!!!!!!

That would be "damned" voices. (I truely have dyslexia, so spelling isn't my strong point either!!)

oldbuckster,

While I know that the Cornwalls used the same drivers as used in the Klipschorn, and I know a guy who owns some, are the woofers in the cornwall still 4 ohm voice coiled drivers?? The Corner Horn was fitted with 4 ohm 15 inch woofers specifically because the resistance of horn loading makes the crossover see 16 ohms of resistance. This could be handled with added resistance built into to Cornwalls cross over, a question that I am sure BEC could surely answer, but just something to make sure of on the compatabilty of BECs woofers in a Cornwall aplication.

Roger

That would be "damned" voices. (I truely have dyslexia, so spelling isn't my strong point either!!)

oldbuckster,

While I know that the Cornwalls used the same drivers as used in the Klipschorn, and I know a guy who owns some, are the woofers in the cornwall still 4 ohm voice coiled drivers?? The Corner Horn was fitted with 4 ohm 15 inch woofers specifically because the resistance of horn loading makes the crossover see 16 ohms of resistance. This could be handled with added resistance built into to Cornwalls cross over, a question that I am sure BEC could surely answer, but just something to make sure of on the compatabilty of BECs woofers in a Cornwall aplication.

Roger

Yes, the Cornwall 1 used the same woofer as the Khorn, Lascala and Belle. All are 4 ohm.

Bob Crites

That would be "damned" voices

The spelling of damned got **** until lately, that's why I spell it that way ...... ***** happens alot on here ...... I see Bob answered your point, he built my B-3's, so I'm sure he knows ...... between Bob Crites, and Craig NOSvalved, and Harryo, I have never gotten bad information from them ..........