A strange trip but khorn woofers have landed....

seti

I never could get the hang of Tuesdays. After diving into my Klipschorns Bob informed me that they were many years apart. One is a 1978 and the other a mid 1990's. They both sound great but just because they are different it bothered me. Yes I am one of those. Even though they were perfectly fine I ordered some cast from woofers from Bob. I will be posting my other woofers in the Garage Sale section this week.

Now for this weeks serial. "Woofers From Space"

Photo%203.jpg

Photo%207.jpg

Photo%208.jpg

Photo%209.jpg

Photo%2010.jpg

Photo%2011.jpg

Next week Attack of the Woofer People.

congrats on the new woofers.

great pics, too. can't wait to see the attack of the woofer people.

They don't really turn into zombies, do they?

You really should send the pics to coast to coast.

I will be busy this afternoon :)

Currently out of my Zombie antidotes so lets hope they don't morph into zombies.

When I worked late nights Coast To Coast was my favorite show. I actually introduced Art Bell to Terence McKenna. It was sad when he had to leave the airwaves but you have to give him credit for playing by his own rules.

Not zombies but a Klipschorn LF tried to eat my brain.

IMG_0495.JPG

Once I replaced my head with a Crites cast frame woofer the Khorn LF was appeased.

IMG_0486.JPG

The previous 15 drivers did suffer some damage. I found two cracks in the surrounds and they were very sticky.

IMG_0487.JPG

IMG_0488.JPG

Here is a shot of the mid 90's woofer and the new cast frame. I was very impressed with the sturdy build quality of the cast frame.

IMG_0493.JPG

IMG_0492.JPG

How do they sound???

A friend was over watching my wresle the cabinets. We usually hang out twice a week to listen to music. After the swap he asked me if I had the sub turned on. I didn't have the sub turned on. This was all the proof I needed. They sound fantastic. Did the ailing woofer just not cut it or did it perfporm fine with the rips in the surrounds? I do not know. What I do know is that they sound even better now.

Thanks Bob.

So, those woofers are worth the investment ??? ... My next step on my Cornwalls will be those woofers ........

They were for me. Immediately you are struck by the difference in the cast frame. It is beefy and high quality. I'd like to see specs just for the hell of it but I already like them just fine.

seti,

Does your 1978 woofer have any cracks in the surrounds or coil rub?? I want to pick up one of these square magnet Eminence woofers and do a side by side by side etc. with a newer version, one of Bobs cast frame woofers, and an EV15W-K. My brother in law and a friend are both long term Corner Horn Owners and I want to compare the 4 and take votes on the outcome.

Roger

Unfortunately the 1978 woofer has the racks in the surround. I imagine whatever event lead to the one woofer being replaced should have happened to both. I told IBSlammin he could have first dibs but if he isn't interested I'll let you know. I didn't notice coil rub.

We listen to music allot at my house. I have friends who are music hounds that always bring new stuff over to listen. One of these guys did ask if my sub was turned on which it wasn't. I plan on a weekend with many listening sessions for a better eval. Just the looks of the frames are more impressive than the stamped.

The pics showing cracks are here. http://picasaweb.google.com/iain42/UnidentifiedFlyingWoofer

Seti,

The EV15W-K frame is cast aluminum that has been polished and chromed back in the 1950s. They have 5 pound Alnico magnets as well. Alnico has 5 times the magnetic force of the ferrite magnets that the other three have, so it should be eqivelent to a 25 pound ferrite magnet. Bob stands by his woofers, and at lees then half the price of my EV15W-Ks, I want to give them a fair unbiased trial.

Roger

Seti,

The EV15W-K frame is cast aluminum that has been polished and chromed back in the 1950s. They have 5 pound Alnico magnets as well. Alnico has 5 times the magnetic force of the ferrite magnets that the other three have, so it should be eqivelent to a 25 pound ferrite magnet. Bob stands by his woofers, and at lees then half the price of my EV15W-Ks, I want to give them a fair unbiased trial.

Roger

It sounds like a worthy endeavor. I can't wait to read your findings.