Pet Peeve

Youthman

Lay down the law, make it clear, and quit whining about your inablity to do so.

OT,

Best post, & best answer I have seen in this thread to the orriginal question!!

How far do you let some pervert making eyes at your underage daughter go before you get off your A*S and do something about it?? I guess you have to figgure out where your priorities lay.

Roger

I heard that......

I once stabbed a guy in the face for looking at my speakers the wrong way. [;)]

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh so you had to ask! Chevy? Ford? Dodge? Who are they? I would never dream of touching much less leaning on any of those. I'm not a rich man, but I drive vw's, Alfa Romeos, and BMW's. All paid for, all used. My mom had a sixties mustang or two, and my mother in law had a ford big thing. I had a sailboat that would out handle them, at least when my hand was on the tiller.

Oh so you had to ask! Chevy? Ford? Dodge? Who are they? I would never dream of touching much less leaning on any of those. I'm not a rich man, but I drive vw's, Alfa Romeos, and BMW's. All paid for, all used. My mom had a sixties mustang or two, and my mother in law had a ford big thing. I had a sailboat that would out handle them, at least when my hand was on the tiller.

Oldtimer,

Admit it, ya don't even know what a Thunderbolt is do ya?? Just for your information, they were built in 1964 and bring over twice as much as a new 900 class BMW. Have you ever owned or driven a 900 class BMW?? Have you ever even seen one in real life?? I have.

Just to see if you really even know BMWs, what does BMW stand for?? Where did they get their start?? and what does the BMW emblem stand for??

Roger

WTF is this? Class time? OK I admit I don't know what a thunderbolt is and I don't care. did you know that a 1779 cc alfa engine double overhead cam produces more than one horse per cubic inch? Lets see, for the rest of your inquest, no I have not been near a 900 series, remember I said that I'm not rich. BMW stands for Bavarian Motor Works and basically started from making aircraft engines for the German air force (Luftwaffe). The emblem is a stroboscopic representation of a propeller. P.S. I don't care what anything costs if i can't afford it.

Oldtimer,

I didn't meen to piss you off. You did better than I expected on the BMW questions. I orriginally responded to your would you get upset if it was a fairlane question figguring you weren't a car guy because I didn't figgure you knew the made a Fairlane that brings better than a 1/4 million these days. I don't think their is anyone on these lists that wouldn't get upset about someone leaning on or throwing something on a car worth that kind of coin.

BTW, just FYI, In 1964, FORD built 100 Thunderbolt fairlanes. I believe they only know the whereabouts of 69. Anyway they deleted the heater, they deleated the radio, they deleted the carpet and had a rubber mat among other things to lighten the car out of the box. They had aluminum bumpers, they eliminated the inside two headlights and had fresh ram air induction to the dual 4 BBLs. They had a special teardrop fiberglassblister hood because they had a non regular production set of heads and intake that wouldn't fit under a regular hood. The car came with a plaque in the glove compartment that disclaimed any waranty or liabillity for the car. Ford gave the 100 cars to their top 100 dealers and the dealers were told by ford to sell the cars to the local hot shoe at the local track for one dollar each. untouched out of the box, these cars ran deep into th 11 second quarter mile range. Dyno Don Nicholson prepped his car and was running 10.80s back in 1964 on crap rubber of the day. The 427 Hi-Riser put out over 500 horsepower on 427 cubic inches stock from Ford and I own one of these engines.

My sign in name "TwistedCrankCammer" stands for the Single overhead Cam Hemi Ford 427 that was built to run in NASCAR but got outlawed before they ever got to compete. "Cammer" stands for the engine, and Twisted Crank stands for a forged crank. All of these motors came with a Forged Crank, and all Forged cranks were twisted in the manufacturing process back then. All cast cranks have the casting dividing line in the same place for the length of the crank, but on a forged crank, these marks are on a different location on each throw of the crank due to the twisting process of making a forged crank back then.

For your information: 1779cc is roughly 275 cubic inches. What is the power output so we can compare horsepower per cubic inch. I also own a factory Ford 427 SOHC engine and I am building an aftemarket one out of aftermarket Aluminum parts. In Factory orriginal trim the single 4 BBL cammer for NASCAR made 590 horsepower out of 427 cubic inches clear back in 1964. The dual 4 BBL version made 630 horsepower out of 427 cubic inches back in 1964. You could buy these engines by ordering them at the parts counter in 1964. At 630 horsepower at 427 cubic inches that is 1.477 horsepower per cubic inch for an over the counter 1964 engine. Google it!! There is a single 4 BBL new old stock never started cammer on fordfe.com web site in the classified section on the second page right now with pictures for sale for $40,000. Ford also built the GT-40 in the 60s and sold Carol Shelbys Cobras in the 60s and I don't know anyone who wouldn't trade an Alfa, BMW, or VW for one. You can also go to Jays Garge. Jay Leno has a Cammer put down in a Cobra and has video of it on his web site,

BTW, my parrents bought a brand new bug in 1969 when I was 5 and I still remember the trip to the dealership to buy it. My sister had a 1974 Super Beetle convertible, tripple white car that had 4,000 miles when she got it that she traded in on a brand new ford mustang GT convertible in 1989. She still has that car in moth balls, very low mileage.

I plan on building the all aluminum cammer up and Holma Moody, the orriginal builders of the GT-40 for Ford is building brand new reproductions of the orriginal GT-40 ou of aluminum.

Roger

Hey I'm not pissed off. 1.8 liters is about 109 cubic inches though, and the dual overhead cam alfa engine of the early 70's late 60's produced up to 135 hp. The car you mentioned sounds like my kind of car, Especially the rubber mats. As for any US made car versus a german or italian version of the same vintage there has never been any comparison when it comes to handling. I was not kidding about my boat handling skills versus the stock mustangs. I am well aware of Carol Shelby and his contributions. For monetary reasons you are right about any trade, but a driver might differ.

Oddly or coincidentally enough, you mention aluminum engine parts. Alfa has used a cast aluminum block and head for a long long time. Very few Americans truly appreciate the contribution made by a company that was founded in part by Enzo Ferrari.

Ford actually made some cammer heads out of aluminum back in 1964, although at least 9 out of 10 are iron. They also made a small handfull of aluminum 427 blocks, much rarer than the heads. The last set of factory aluminum cammer heads I saw for sale better then 10 years ago had been cracked, welded on, warped, so they were decked, and they were bare, no valves, no rockers, no shafts, nothing and the asking price was $13,000 for the pair all screwed up and fixed. I know where several set of virgin aluminum factory heads are, but none are for sale, and I wouldn't want to even guess on value. I have only ever seen or heard of two factory aluminum blocks. To give you an idea there, prior to Carol Shelby reproducing an aftermarket block and a few others, I know of guys that paid to have blocks hand machined, not CNC from solid hunks of aluminum as it was less $$$ than a factory aluminum block. Jay Lenos engine doesn't even have the aluminum heads or block. They are unobtainium[:'(]

Roger

Oldtimer,

You are correct, 1,779 cm3 is about 109 inches3. I divided 1779 by 2.54 squared not cubed. 135horse power out of 109 cubes is almost 1.24 horsepower per cube. Not bad efficiency for a production engine at all. I have been a gear head since I was a kid and still own my first car, one of those two 1967 390 big block GT fastback mustangs. I also used to own a 1969.5 Boss 302 Mustang. The 69 Boss 302 came out mid year and they only made 1,628 that year. They built 7,056 1970 Boss 302s.

Roger

Speaking about factory racing and limited production builds... what about the Reynolds cast linerless 427 Can-Am block for Chevrolet? The pistons were cast-iron plated and ran directly on the special alloy block. These motors were high compression and with the solid cams of the day put out an amazing amount of power. Of course the factory rated them low, but independant tests pegged the power in the 575 hp range as delievered. With less oil in the pan, and some tuning these were up over 600 hp, and very light.

Aluminum block, aluminum heads... the rat weighed in less than a 350 longblock.

Speaking about factory racing and limited production builds... what about the Reynolds cast linerless 427 Can-Am block for Chevrolet? The pistons were cast-iron plated and ran directly on the special alloy block. These motors were high compression and with the solid cams of the day put out an amazing amount of power. Of course the factory rated them low, but independant tests pegged the power in the 575 hp range as delievered. With less oil in the pan, and some tuning these were up over 600 hp, and very light.

Aluminum block, aluminum heads... the rat weighed in less than a 350 longblock.

Mike,

I love the look of the Chaparel. I am also very aware of draining the oil and a few other tricks to give false readings on the dyno as you can't run an engine like that. Besides, the Can Ams were dry sumped and no oil wouldn't give that much of an increase like it would on a wet sump. 575 HP out of a 427 that has 8 stack fuel injection vs: 427 ford with 590 non fudged HP with a single 4 BBL or 630 with dual 4s. My Iron engine is a blower settup. The aluminum engine I am working on now is capable of going over 600 cubic inch, but I will be in the 528 cubic inch turbo charged range, and it will weigh less than an iron SBC.

Roger