Have you upgraded the tweeter diaphragms in your Fortes (or any other Klipsch)? Let's hear your results

wuzzzer

Spend the money for BEC's CT-125's, perfect replacement for stock tweeters ...... they fit right in, really easy to change ....... They took my Cornwalls to a whole different level ........... Bob Crites knows his stuff ........ not much more cash outlay than changing diaphrams, and it's quicker, and easier ......

oldbuckster, did you replace the tweeters and crossovers at the same time?

No, I did one at a time, did crossovers first, listened for awhile, then the voices started, tried to fight them off, but lo and behold, they won. Was going to do diaphrams only, but the voices keep saying, new tweeters, and they won again. My plan now is to go to those other woofers Bob has, then maybe the diaphrams in the mid-range, will leave the mid range in stock form, and I will basically have brand new speakers. The Cornwalls I got may be 1.5's, but I was the first one to take the backs off, they were, for the lack of a better word, virgins, when I got them. Speaking just for myself, any upgrade should be done one at a time, so you can hear the difference or not, then you know. Did I need the crossovers, YES, did I need the CT-125's, NO, did I need the Cornwalls, NO, but I'm glad I got them ................. The upgrades opened up the speakers to levels stock Cornwalls can't reach ......

I had Bob rewire and reaplace diaphrams on my 1978 alnico k77 horns and there was an improvement. This wasn't as big as my cast frame woofer upgrade. Next stop my K55 and K400 : ). I am a firm believer in new or updated parts for old speakers. The improvement in my khorn bass bins is impressive :)

Yes, less grain, huh.

Agree. While the K 79 is a better overall tweeter than the K 77 (don't get me started), when I used all of my Fortes, I ended replacing the K 79s in my Fortes with tweeters that have less grain. I'm sure that Bob's titanium dia replacements are probably the best upgrade way to go.

There is another direction I went however. I really like the Eminence drivers that Bob uses for his CT 125s and have even preferred the sound of that tweeter over Beymas and JBLs. Plus, I like the sound of phenolics over titanium (just my personal preference). The Eminence driver that Bob uses is available with other horn lenses. The APT 80 supertweeter (same driver, different horn) fits right into the Forte tweeter slot without modification. The caveat is that it since it is square there is space left over to fill. I simply cut a custom square piece of thin plywood and filled in the remaining space. Again, Bob's titanium dias are probably the way to go, but the APT 80s are pretty cheap at $60 a pair (still available over at usspeaker.com). The APT 80 is slightly more efficient than the K 79 it replaces, and therefore, you will get a slight volume bump. Whether that matters to you or not, your ear would have to decide. Worse case scenario, just use a couple of cheap L-pads to attenuate. Just a though of another route.

Carl.

So, there is less grain if you; go from a phenolic to a titanium, a titanium to a phenolic, and a phenolic to a phenolic. So, any change is an improvement because it is "different", and of course "different" is always good.

Can we start calling these 'modifications' not upgrades?

Look, I upgraded my LaScalas by painting them blue!

I took all the stuffing out of my RF7's- that's an upgrade!

I bought magical driver xyz from a forum member, surely that's an upgrade.

[bs]

I replaced xxx with yyy doesn't automatically make it an upgrade. The point is that without TESTING, without thorough A/B comparison, none of the modifications mentioned in any of these threads can truly be considered an upgrade. Just becuase someone spends money on something and modifies the existing widget does not automaticall make it an upgraded widget, merely a modified one.

Now if you can do the testing and conduct a fair A/B then you have the possibility of a true upgrade in performance.

Baranek's Law comes into play here.