La Scala II with 300B SET Amps

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put that order in TODAY !!!! I run my 1981 LSI Spits with 8.5 watts of 300B and am blown away by the depth an volume. I rarely get the volume knob over 1/4 turn. I also have used my 2w SET amp and ... while I have to turn the volume knob to 3/4 ... it also sounds great.

Both my amps are kits from Bottlehead.

Here is my often seen photo .... need to take a new one soon as I have made some changes

Posted Image

Patrick if you get the Lascala's and push them with tubes you will love the combonation, horns and tubes were made for each other. My only other advice would be a possible xover upgrade, but you should first listen to the Lascala's and decide for yourself.

Jay

Patrick if you get the Lascala's and push them with tubes you will love the combonation, horns and tubes were made for each other. My only other advice would be a possible xover upgrade, but you should first listen to the Lascala's and decide for yourself.

Jay

Hey Jay

Not sure if you realised but Patrick is talking Lascala II and not the orginal Lascala. Lascala II sound awesome and IMO I would not dream of changing the crossover in them! I consider the improvements Klipsch has made with the Lascala II version to be substantial.

mike tn[:)]

I think you'll enjoy the subs with your LaScalas. I enjoyed my laScalas and loved them after I started using a sub with them. It doesn't take much, really. Just dial them in where the LaScalas roll off. It's not really alot of program material on most recordings, but it does round out the bottom end nicely.

Nice new tops, G.Kennedy...511Bs with Altec drivers are a fine addition to Klipsch Heritage (as my brother did with old Cornwalls over a year ago).

Before my kid brother modified our dad's '79 Cornwalls, I drove the big guys stock with my 6.5Wpc 300B SET amp (BEZ Model T3B) with excellent results! I also used a DIY subwoofer with the Cornwalls years before...as long as the sub is tuned for the room and your system and doesn't bring attention to itself, it should make a nice addition.

Hi Mike,

Yes I did notice that he was speaking of the II's, I am not that familiar with them as I am with the originals. That is why I made the statement (but you should first listen to the Lascala's and decide for yourself.).

Jay

If you get used La Scalas then a crossover update is always a option along with all the other mods available.

There is no reason to replace the crossovers with La scala IIs since you are buying brand new speakers with brand new crossovers. There are probably very few sets of La Scala IIs for sale used so you would have to buy them new. I have heard the LS IIs and compared to mine the bass is better on the LS IIs.

I have 2004 La Scalas and have used them with a pair of 2A3 Moondogs 3.5 watts with great results. With 8 watts with the LS IIs you should get great results depending on room size and type of music you listen to.

Hey there Marvel!!

Yeah you got lucky[<:o)] I needed the cash or I would have kept them! I really like the Birdseye Maple cabnits are made of. Once I find a new job I'm hoping to get a new amp and want to have it made with the Birdseye maple.

post-13699-1381939358379_thumb.jpg

Hey there Marvel!!

Yeah you got luckyParty!!! I needed the cash or I would have kept them!  I really like the Birdseye Maple cabnits are made of.  Once I find a new job I'm hoping to get a new amp and want to have it made with the Birdseye maple.   

Hey that is MY living room table! Those were great little doggies. To complete the ownership tale, we should remember the original owner and builder was Thom Mackris of Galibier turntables.