Sound Problem?

I have two old, big klipsch speakers that my uncle gave to me. I think I blew out the right speaker because when I listen to music soley from the right speaker there is no bass. The left speaker works fine. How do I fix the right speaker? There is a fuse and the two hookups for the speaker wire in the back and that's it. Do I have to do something with the fuse? Please Help

You'll want to check the fuses, as well as the connections on the crossover. That's the set of electronic items, the transformers and capacitors, that the speaker leads connect to. Sometimes corrosion builds up under the screws or connectors, stopping the signal from getting through. Just loosening and re-tightening the screws may restore the connections.

In the worst case, if one or more of the drivers don't work, they're not that expensive to replace, so it's not a disaster.

There's no "king" model, but they may be Klipschorns. Check for the labels on the back, which should indicate the model code and year of manufacture. The serial number should be on the label and it will also be stamped into the wood itself. The Klipschorns have been in production for over 60 years now and are great-sounding speakers. If you got a pair for free, lucky you!

To check the fuse, take it out and look through the glass to see if there's a filament intact inside. If it needs to be replaced, look at the metal end caps. There is usually a value etched there. It's easy enough to take it with you to Radio Shack to get a replacement.

One more thought on fuses, I have on rare occasions had a fuse that went bad, but looked just fine. Also if the fuse is not seated securely in it's clamp holder it can break the signal path.

The screws are on the crossover network. They are nestled in the barrier strip. Sometimes the contacts will corrode enough to degrade the signal. Just loosen each one, squiggle or remove and replace the spade connector. Tighten it up. It is surprising how many times this is the issue.

If the woofer is bad, Bob Crites, (BEC) on this forum, is an excellent source. You can get a replacement for about $100. You may also have run across his parts on Ebay.

If it's not the crossover connections, it could be a bad woofer.

It's not likely that you blew it out.

To check it out, open the cabinet and touch your speaker leads to the taps on the woofer. Be very careful that the leads don't touch each other because this can short your amp.

If you don't get any sound from the woofer then, it's time to check out a replacement.

I have two old, big king klipsch speakers that my uncle gave to me. I think I blew out the right speaker because when I listen to music soley from the right speaker there is no bass. The left speaker works fine. How do I fix the right speaker? There is a fuse and the two hookups for the speaker wire in the back and that's it. Do I have to do something with the fuse? Please Help

Hey, also check the basics could there be a problem with the speaker wire? Double check conections at the amp as well as the speakers. On a pair of heresy's I have; my woofer stopped playing and the mid and tweeters worked. I looked at the back of my amp and found that the binding post nut was loose on one wire. I tightened the nut and have not had any more trouble.

........ but I don't understand what you mean by touch them?

He is saying to take your speaker wires ... from the amp ... and hold them on to the woofer connection points. Skipping the crossover. I won't sound great, but it will make sound if its good ..... then you will know.

I would say do not have the volume too loud.

Ok I understand thank you for all the help. I finally fixed the problem! I can hear the bass again. I opened the cabinet and noticed one of the cords inside that connects to the woofer was hanging and not connected to the woofer. So I put it through and bent it around so it won't come off very easily. I just have one final question. What should I do to make sure it doesn't fall off again? I noticed the other cord was sottered on to the woofer. Since I don't have a sotter gun can I just duct tape it, leave it alone, or do something different? Thanks again everyone for the help!

You can get a 1/4" female terminal and crimp the speaker wire to it and slide it on the woofer terminal. You may need to crimp the terminal a little to get a tight feet so it doesn't loosen at high volumes. Radio Shack has them. check this link.

Posted Image

• 2 years later...

hi.

i have a pair of kp-3002 that i am running off my qsc rmx 1450 amp.

one of the speakers sounds blown as far as i know to call it.

i get hi-s but now lows...well...VERY weak lows.

so weak that you can barely hear it at all.

i check that it wasnt just a problem with one of the channels or 1/4 inch plugs and switche each wire and plug to test them all.

it is a problem in the speaker.

so as to the advise on this thread i opend her up and checked all the wires and connecters...they seem to be fine.

i also examined the base speaker and it seems to be fine too...no holes or tears.

anymore help?

i bought all three pieces for 300 from a store that was closing down.

thanks for the help so far fellas.

patrick

ps...yes...that is my actual van.