Another Baldwin organ amp breathes new life...

jt1stcav

Well, ol' Paul (Parrot) would be proud of me right about now...uh, kinda sort of anyway...[:)]

I'm giving my 300B flea-powered SET amp a rest for the time being and driving my RB-75s with 28 brute watts of good ol' American power from an updated mid '50s Baldwin Piano & Organ Company 2-channel electronic organ amplifier, complete with a quad of matched 6L6s in parallel push-pull mode. It's been modified obviously for stereo use with two brand new output trannies (Hammond?), some new caps and resistors (as needed), an in-line fuse, power switch, and an IEC power cord adaptor for any heavy-duty power cord.

I know...it's a 50 year old organ amplifier that wasn't designed as high quality home audio stereo playback equipment but for muddy sounding electronic organs that need to fill large spaces with loud music thru antiquated tone generators and PA quality 2-channel (high and low frequency) tone cabinets. As I recall from the repair work my dad did on old Baldwin Model 5 church organs back in the early '70s, they weren't the epitome of high fidelity.

Funny thing is, after the modifications and upgrades, this tank of an amplifier does a spectacular job of sounding every bit as good IMHO as any consumer grade audio PP vacuum tube amp I've ever heard (such as those from JoLida, Consonance, Dared, J. Sound Lab, Fisher, Magnavox, McIntosh, and others that have crossed my path over the years).

post-11084-1381939360586_thumb.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of you are aware of a gentleman on AudiogoN who sells modified/upgraded Dynaco ST-70s, along with modded Baldwin Model 40s, and even brand new SET 2A3 monoblocks and stereo amps...Will Vincent of Autospec has been resurrecting old tube amps for many years now, giving new life to some of these amps that would otherwise be pitched to the curb from those not in the know that would consider them rusted out hulks unfit for human aural consumption.

Here's a closeup when I first hooked it up to my 6SN7 SRPP line stage pre. The Baldwin originally had two gain controls for the high and low frequency drivers in their tone cabinets; after being modified for 2-channel stereo playback, these two knobs are now the left and right channel gain controls for a pair of loudspeakers. Like my old McIntosh MC250 stereo amp with its left and right volume control, you could hook up a CD player straight into the amp directly, thus bypassing a preamp altogether if you wish.

post-11084-138193936081_thumb.jpg

KaiseSetSay and I were just listening to Funkyhambones rebuilt Baldwin this afternoon. I'd like to hear it with a classic preamp perhaps a Marantz 7C. The amp is very nice. I am still listening for differences between this and my Onix running VA350B's. Bargain of an amp.

Some forum members here have owned and enjoyed Will's creations over the years, while some others have not been too keen on his ways of upgrading or modifying old Dynacos and Baldwins and such. That's all well and good...not everyone is pleased with souped-up conrad-johnson, Cary, JoLida, or old Heathkit, Magnovox and Bell amps either (though most probably are; to each their own, natch). All I do know, from what I hear, is that Will Vincent does an acceptable job of rebuilding old tube amplifiers such as this Model 40 (or 45?) Baldwin for instance, converting them for stereo use in audio systems that can reproduce high quality recorded music of any type and be enjoyed for many more years to come!

post-11084-1381939360908_thumb.jpg

KaiseSetSay and I were just listening to Funkyhambones rebuilt Baldwin this afternoon. I'd like to hear it with a classic preamp perhaps a Marantz 7C. The amp is very nice. I am still listening for differences between this and my Onix running VA350B's. Bargain of an amp.

A bargain, indeed! From direct comparisons with my 300B SET (which is totally different from your fine Melody; I assume it's PP), the more powerful Baldwin seems to have more weight and air to its presentation, and loads more oomph in the bass department, which is no surprise given the SET amp is only 6.5Wpc. I wouldn't say the quad 6L6s are better sounding overall than the 300Bs, only different (in a good way...they both sound equally excellent to my ears).

post-11084-1381939360991_thumb.jpg

I have to publicly thank Erik Mandaville for bringing these old Baldwin amps to my attention! I won't go into any specifics, but let's just say that I wouldn't be enjoying this spectacular amplifier today if it wasn't for Erik's insight on the wonderful craftsmanship Will Vincent provides for his customers!

Many thanks, Erik.[;)]

post-11084-1381939361085_thumb.jpg

And this is one beefy amp! It weighs in at over 35 lbs, most of which is probably from the power supply alone...just look at the size of that tranny!

The chassis is nothing to look at, especially since it originally was never meant to be seen. This particular amplifier wasn't cosmetically finished like the majority of Will's creations, but I don't mind that industrial look. Its functional approach only shows that this amp means business!

And its business end is nothing short of phenomenal! With its solid chassis and stocky PS iron, it also houses two NOS '50s GE 5U4GB rectifiers; it's overkill for audio only applications, but I guess for filling churches with lots of volume, it's a necessity. The dual 12AX7 gray plates are '50s era American drivers, but the lettering's all rubbed off ("USA" can barely be seen on both of them, but nothing else is left...Will wasn't sure what they were, but either RCA or Sylvania come to mind). The quad output tubes are new Shuguang 6L6GCs, which sound perfectly fine to my tin ears. Someday when I have the extra funds, I'll do a little tube rolling. But for now I'm quite content with what Will supplied me.[Y]

post-11084-1381939361168_thumb.jpg

I think the pitting adds character, don't you?

I'd love to know the history of this particular Model 40 amp (or a Model 45...Will's not even sure). What model Baldwin organ did this amp come from? Did it reside inside the console or from a tone cabinet? What became of the organ it belonged to? Did it provide many years of joyful music making? Questions that'll probably never get answered...

post-11084-1381939361278_thumb.jpg

I'd noticed that amp in one of your other pix and wondered about it. If it sounds as good as it looks you should be a happy camper. There is something about looking at the glow of vacuum tubes whilst music permeates the air that nothing else can match.

Dave

The amp can not be parallel push-pull mode with two channels out of that one chassis. To run PP parallel a total of 8 output tubes would be required (4 per channel)

What exactly is Parallel Push Pull? If I were to assume it would be multiple pairs of power tubes but I am not positive exactly how it works. I have seen amp for sale where there called parallel but only had two a channel. Do the poster just have their facts wrong?

Jim:

You are most welcome, and Will and I are both very glad you're enjoying it!

I think the push-pull parallel description may have just been a slight error; it's in fact push-pull only, using two 6L6s per channel. Push-pull parallel, as Craig pointed out, would use a total of eight tubes with four per channel -- consisting two pairs of output tubes that are wired in parallel with each other but operated in PP with the other paralleled pair. It may help to think of each paralleled pair as essentially a single tube.

Erik

"I thought the use of using two monaural amps as stereo...I would like to know as well..."

That can work fine and is a common thing to do! I have a couple of vintage 6V6 PP amps that I use the same way sometimes. Both are integrated amplifiers with their own volume control, which makes it possible to balance channels easily if the gain of one might happen to be different from the other.

Erik

"What exactly is Parallel Push Pull? If I were to assume it would be multiple pairs of power tubes but I am not positive exactly how it works. I have seen amp for sale where there called parallel but only had two a channel. Do the poster just have their facts wrong?"

Great question!

push-pull and parallel output stages both offer increased power over the use of single tubes -- such as a single triode like the 2A3 or 300B. For example, instead of using just a single 2A3 or 3OOB, it's possible to use two of those tubes per channel, and wire them so that each section of the triode (the grid, the cathode, and the plate) is in parallel with those elements of the other tube. This will give twice the power output that can be obtained from the same grid voltage used by a single tube. Push-pull operates differently, but is able to supply not only greater output power, but with comparatively less (measurable) distortion and lower noise (due to inherently better power supply rejection) than single-ended or parallel single-ended designs. This isn't to say one is necessarily better than the other, because we know rather well that there are different preferences. Push-pull outputs require greater grid voltage than paralleled single-ended tubes. Some people don't care for the sound of paralleled triodes, and prefer to use them just in single-ended mode or push-pull.

So, if you've seen amps described as having paralleled outputs, that's what is described above.

Erik

OB,

Depends on the amp. Some Baldwin amps are straight out mono amps. These are just what they are. Rebuilt they are good, but of course, for monoblock function.

This Baldwin amp is a rather unique two channel mono design. Sounds like an oxymoron, but it originally employed one channel for LF and the other channel for HF. One thing that needs to be adapted for stereo use is to match the output transformers. Will Vincent does this substituting a pair of matching vintage transformers of Fisher, Eico or Baldwin (from another organ amp). The result is one substantial (and unique, IMO) stereo amp.

What exactly is Parallel Push Pull? If I were to assume it would be multiple pairs of power tubes but I am not positive exactly how it works. I have seen amp for sale where there called parallel but only had two a channel. Do the poster just have their facts wrong?

Marantz said its Model 9 monobloc was push-pull parallel -- http://www.hifilit.com/hifilit/Marantz/model%209-2.jpg. As Craig says, each monobloc used four EL-34's instead of a pair of higher-powered tubes. I don't know if they preferred EL-34's for the sound or what, but I always preferred the sonic linearity (to me, anyway) of the EL-34 over the bass-heaviness of contemporary higher-powered tubes like the 6550.

Here is Marantz's circuit diagram for the 9 -- http://www.hifilit.com/hifilit/Marantz/model9man-4.jpg