Chorus I verses Chorus II

artto

I know what the techbical/specification differences are. What's the consenus regarding their sound (differences) and value? I see a lot more Chorus II available on Ebay than Chorus I. I came across a good deal on some Chorus I and was thinking of either using them as mains on the HT with RC7 for center and rear, or possibly as rear/surround on the main Khorn system since I now have a 5 channel MAC AV control center and have been curious about experimenting with surround. On the other hand these may be up for sale.

I have plenty of experience with the Chorus I. They sound good. They are well balanced and smooth. Although the bass is tight, they are kinda lean in the bass department. Much leaner than those large cabinets and woofers would suggest. If used with a sub they sound remarkably good. I like the slightly rawer sound of the Cornwalls and Khorns myself, but that is personal taste.

Andy

Have had my Chorus since 2001 and if you look at my posts, you will not find a negative. They are superfine in all departments at any levelsssss! Now the Chorus II have to be as, or better in other's opinion. How can you go wrong! Put it through the paces and get back with us, please.

I need some de-loot, but they are not going to the block!

I own some Chorus II and they'll rock the house. Plenty of bass! They also do drums real live like. They're some serious speakers! Love to listen to jazz through them too. Some amazing speakers! They'll go to someone else at some point after my heart stops.

I had both at the same time and preferred the II's, using each as a stereo pair that is. More bass with the II's.

The guy I bought them from used KHorn L/R, Chorus II side surrounds and Forte II rear surrounds with a pair of M&K subs.

Keith

The Chorus II has much smoother mids, but might be perceived a bit lean in the upper bass when compared to the Chorus I. The Chorus I has that boosted bass from its higher tuning point and then the mids are a bit on the honky side because of the exponential horn. With a good bass line, you'll notice however that the II does dig lower than the I.

One thing I noticed with my Chorus II's is that they have a rather large impedance and frequency spike in the 6kHz region. Even with a moderately low output impedance amplifier, this frequency range has the tendancy to spike up a bit, which in turn can result in some really harsh sounding mids. I modified my crossover to attenuate it, which in the end resulted in much smoother mids and a voicing that made the super flat bass response a lot more palatable.

All that to say, there is a lot more potential for the Chorus II to sound a lot better. In fact, I probably would go with a Cornwall over the Chorus I, but I would take the Chorus II over the Cornwall...

Great. Thanks for the responses guys!

For the time being, I've decided to keep these puppies. I hooked them up to the HT as L+R mains and moved the two RC7 to the rear channels (one RC7 remains on the center). I'm using a SW12 in the corner for the sub.I have to admit, this sounds pretty good, much better than all RC7 up front. The sub can be turned down -3db and the crossover lowered to 50Hz, better low end definition and no boominess like I was sometimes getting. Real smooth. And get this ~ the wife likes it!!!!

But wait, there's more (and this is probably why my better half likes it).

Yesterday my friend "Chuck" calls. He's a real garage/estate sale freak. He's on his way to a job and sees one, decides to stop. He buys some small Bose speakers for $5. He looks around some more & thinks the prices are pretty good & asks if there any more electronics or speakers. She says "Yes, we have some speakers ~ BIG speakers ~ but they're in the basment. I think they're Klipsch or something like that." "How much are you asking?" She says "Oh, $50". [:P]

My friend calls and is describing them & giving me the info and from what I can tell they're Klipsch Chorus. He only has another $20 and he can't get them into his junk filled van anyway. I drive out there (maybe 15-20 miles) and sure enough they're Klipsch Chorus (I not II). I give the lady the other $30, Chuck & I haul the things out to my Explorer & head over to my place.

Now don't get me wrong, they're not "perfect". The worst damage is the speaker wire binding posts were broken off one, and the other has a small front top corner chip & a scratch on top. The grill on one is slightly damaged, and a small almost unoticable cigarette burn on top. BUT 50$BUCK$????

So now my money hungry friend is itching to sell them and split the profits to make a fast buck. I'm inclined to buy his half out at a small premium and keep these babies. I'm thinking $300 (based on a possibly auction value of $600). And my wife thinks its a good deal too.

What do you guys think, too much or great deal? I've posted some pics.

post-10840-13819393833944_thumb.jpg

I'd say not bad. A really good friend would insist that you just buy out his half unless you sell them. Now just a friend, especially if he needs the money, I'd think should be happy with making a quick $100. I'd say $300 is more than fair. After all you could've probably bought them for $50 or $60. On the other hand, if you could get $600 out of them, then $300 for his half isn't so bad especially since he'll keep calling when he finds Klipsch if he still can make some money.... That said, I've seen Chorus one's in a bit better shape appearance wise for sale for $400.. I'd think still a good deal at $300 though for half in the condition might be a bit expensive.

Great speakers !! I used 2-SW12II's with mine and loved them. If I had had the room and the time I would have kept them.

I bought my black Chorus from the original owner for $400. They were perfect, even the innards looked new (gotta take em apart ya know). I sold them for $400.

I bought my walnut oil II's from the original owner for $600. They were reely close to perfect. Sold them for $600.

The top scratch will probably just disappear with some furniture oil (they look like oak oil). The corner bump will probably darken a little with a daub of furniture oil.

The burn looks like it just needs a lite sanding with the follow-up oil.

Are those the brown tweedy grills? Great retro look to the brown grills.

I think $200 for your friend would be fair. If you want him to remember you next time I might give him $250 maximum.

Keith

While these are much larger than anything I was contemplating for the HT, they sound so good, and my wife likes them too, so they are staying for the forseeable future.

Does anybody know what the original MSRP was on the Chorus I and Chorus II ?