New LSII Arrival

My most recent speakers were Vandersteen 3A's. I always liked how they reproduce acoustic music really well. A lot of delicate airiness but with good bass. The midrange is where I felt they were weak. That's where the LSII's seem to excel especially with vocals, so it's a nice contrast. The LaScalas remind me most of a pair off Bose 901's I had years ago. I'm keeping the Vandersteens in case I ever get tired of the horns but so far I'm loving them.

My most recent speakers were Vandersteen 3A's. I always liked how they reproduce acoustic music really well. A lot of delicate airiness but with good bass. The midrange is where I felt they were weak. That's where the LSII's seem to excel especially with vocals, so it's a nice contrast. The LaScalas remind me most of a pair off Bose 901's I had years ago. I'm keeping the Vandersteens in case I ever get tired of the horns but so far I'm loving them.

Oh dear now you've done it :) LOL......

• Moderators

" Oh dear now you've done it :) LOL...... "

Seti that is funny,...........Although I have to say that statement was a surprise to me also, [:o] everything was going so nice.... then it happened the B word compared to LaScala's [^o)]......Just kidding nice setup...I will shut up now.

That's where the LSII's seem to excel especially with vocals, so it's a nice contrast. The LaScalas remind me most of a pair off Bose 901's I had years ago. I'm keeping the Vandersteens in case I ever get tired of the horns but so far I'm loving them.

[:|]

Back in 78 I thought 901's were the bomb...I just didn't have much to compare to.......I still had that in the back of my mind (Kinda like how great that first girl was even though you look at an picture and find out what a pig she was)

anyway, I had a chance to go over to GLA51's house several months back when just for giggles he picked up a pair of 901's.......and placed them in his "wall of voodoo" A well treated room with one wall of most of the heritage line up and four identical amps, multiple sources for a/b tests ....real nice unique setup.

1st the 901's....yep they sound nice....not much sound stage, not much seperation, not to detailed, not much bass.....hey what was i remembering?

then the stock heresy's.........Yep thats more like it boy heresies rock!!!!

Forte's.......OMG the bass! the sound stage ....now we are talking!!!!

chorus's.....oh yeah!!!

Cornwalls....Holy $hit cornwalls sound good!!!!

KLIPSHORNS!!!!! Baby oh baby.......Nirvana...I'm in heaven

back to the bose 901's........they sounded like a rusty tin can compared to the heritage/extended...line up.........the memories I had were more nostalgia much like my ugly first girlfriend

I can guarantee you that if you put a brand spanking new pair of 901's up against your LS II's you will draw the same conclusion......

You're probably right. Nostalgia colors the memory. Seems to me now that everything looked, tasted, felt and sounded better "back in the day". I do remember really enjoying the music. So if the LSII's can bring that back, they are well worth it. Heard Richard & Linda Thompson do "Wall of Death" last night and it never sounded as good.

VPI HRX TT, Dynavector DRT XV-1S, Opera Consonance SACD, Quicksilver Horn Monos, LSII's, Fostex T90A Super Tweeters, Vandersteen 2Wq Subs, Oppo DV-970HD, Marantz SR5600 Surround Receiver, Runco 50" Plasma.

You use the Manely Steelehead to drive the Horn monos for only phono or does it have another input for CD or SACD??

• Moderators

Back in 78 I had some JBL somethings, all bass no mid's or highs, sold them to my best friend who liked them.

The strange part was I had found this book that had different formulas for speaker cabinet volumes and designs. I found the one I liked and also found this place in New Orleans who rebuilt and sold speakers for musicians. I gave them the specs for the drivers I wanted and they matched them with what they had. Bought a crossover and had my dad help build the cabinets from hardwood plywood. They sounded very good and I had them for many years until the midrange drivers gave out about 8 years ago. Then I used some Advents I found, they sounded nice but not like the horns.

A couple of years after they gave out while looking for new speakers or new drivers I found Klipsch, I knew I liked the horn sound. After looking at all the models klipsch made there was one that stood out, the Cornwall. The speaker I made was almost the exact size (within an inch), and also had a horn high freq driver and horn mid range with a 15" bass ported just like a Cornwall.