New Home Audio person...Klipsch speakers questions, Please help.

jimmerz

Hello. I am new to this forum, and will soon be new to the Home Audio environment. We are building a home and actually decided to get the Klipsch Premium system through Guardian.

We were thinking of having the 5 speakers mounted in the ceiling. 2 front and the center channel) and 2 rear all in ceiling, then the sub on the floor in the front.

Does this sound like an ok idea? The sales rep stated that the cones inside and be swiveled some so that even though they are in the ceiling they will shoot more towards our couch and not straight at the floor.

I do not have the exact model numbers yet of the speakers, but I will let you know once I get them from the rep.

Thanks, Jim

Oh there will be a plasma mounted on the wall and we did not like the look of the speakers mounted on the wall next to the TV...

If unobtrusive, that is, nothing to look at, as in small presence visibly, not sure you can do better, except, seems like a not good idea to not have the fronts and center wall mounted towards listening area more directly. No point in having to go with more volume when, speakers in ceiling have directivity limits, to totally listen without earstrain.

Myself, I like to look sometime at speakers I am listening to. Nothing would be finer/prettier right now to me than a Palladium/Heresy/quartet surround.

Keep in mind the music!/?1

ok, well thanks for the input.

I do understand it will probably be better to mount the 2 fronts and center channel in the wall and then the 2 rears in the ceiling.

I was just hoping someone who already had a system and possibly did mount all speakers in the ceiling would tell me to go ahead, you will be fine...lol

I know Movie theaters do not, but I will not be a movie theater (unfortunately). I would RATHER have the speakers in the ceiling though. Figured I could get some sound advice from the folks in this forum.

Thanks, jim

Guest srobak

Ok - if you mount them in the ceiling, you are going to have what I call the sportsbar effect. You are going to be watching a tv on the wall OVER THERE, and the sound is gonna be coming from a completely different place. I dunno about you - but that actually *bothers* me. I like the sounds of peoples words to at least appear to come from the general direction of their mouths. *shrug*

I honestly think that of all the members of this forum, you could probably count on one hand (and have a few fingers left) of the people that have an all in-ceiling setup. There are just too many compromises going that route.

Plus, most of the guys on here are single (not me) and don't give a crap how anything looks, only how it sounds. [;)]

Ok. I think I get it...lol

I will be soon posting about the best receiver to run the exact speakers I will be getting. I am trying to get the rep to give me some model numbers of the speakers. I will have a 5.1 system. and I know the Sub is 12". I wanna make sure I can get a receiver that will be able to get everything out of the speakers (mostly for music) But I want movies to sound good as well.

There are so many different types of Klipsch speakers (in wall / in ceiling) I hope I am really getting the "premium" system that Guardian offers...

I would assume they demonstrated them again this year, but when visiting the Klipsch HQ in 2006 during the famous "Klipsch Pilgrimage", we got a change to listen to some of their premium in-wall speakers. They sounded pretty awesome.Did they sound like Khorns, Jubilees, La Scalas, etc.? Nope, but they were really good.I am pretty sure that onlythe tweeters pivot (we have some in classrooms at the college where I work), since the highs are more directional. BUT, they don't pivot that much.

What hasn't been mentioned is that once you have your setup, you have pretty much commited to the layout of the furniture and orientation in the room. No matter how good it sounds. I've changed the placement in mine a couple of times to try for the best sound AND comfort, aesthetics. I'm happy with it now, and glad I was able to swap things around.

I have a friend who was excited about his in-ceiling system (vaulted ceiling, so the speakers still pointed at you when you were on the couch). He later wished he hadn't put that system in, and he is two or three houses past that now. If you move, would you sell it with the house?

My two cents...

Bruce

All good points Marvel.

We are committed to the furniture set up, due to the layout, we do not have many options on how to arrange the furniture. And we do not plan on moving for a LONG time. BUT, if we do move then yes, they go with the house as a bonus...we are also getting an outside weather proof speaker from Klipsch that will be mounted on the house in the patio area.

I am just hoping that my Panasonic Surround sound system with sound ok until I can save up enough money to get a better reciever?

It's kind of humorous that you came to a forum where 99% of us have gigantor speakers in our HTs and state that in-walls are too obtrusive. I don't care who you are. THAT'S funny! BTW - Most of us here ARE married. We just have very supportive spouses.

Do a search for "Let's See Your Home Theater." There are about 50 pages of HT pics and I doubt any have in-ceiling all the way around. I've never heard one myself but I urge you to find a store that has one on display to make sure it's what you want. Once you do it, there's no going back.

Good luck!

As the consensus has already voted, I also would vote to not mount any of the front three speakers in the ceiling. I heard the THX2 (read: high-end) in ceiling system playing a clip from "Robots" at the 08' pilgrimage, and my final thoughts were "yup....that sound is totally coming from the ceiling." It was honestly my least favorite demo of the day, as I found the sound to be almost unbearably misplaced. It could also have to do with the fact that I wanted to hear the Palladium P-39Fs that were in the same room and I was getting impatient. [A]

That said, rear in ceilings actually sound great, imo, and place most movie effects very nicely.

Guest srobak

If stand-alone cabinets are not at all possible, then I would seriously try to get in-walls on the sides of the tv with the center either above or below.

ok Thanks. I did decide to do the 2 surrounds in front on the sides and the center channel in the middle underneath the TV. We will have the other 2 ceiling mounted in the rear. The ceiling speakers that we are getting is the CDT-3650-C and the Sub is the RW-12D Not sure yet of the fronts and center channel? The 2 front wall mounted may be the same model as the ceiling ones...

There is a lot of knowledge in this forum and like I said...I am VERY new to all this. I actually never even heard of Klipsch until we started building and that is what was offered...

I think we need to know how much of a music and movie watcher you are.If you just want the basic sound your idea sounds ok...but if your into the quality of sound more i think you need better front speakers that you can move around.When we were at Klipsch this year they had demo of 2 of the same speakers like 1 foot different positions and the sound was drasticly different.Rick

Well. I think for the time being the system will primarily be used to watch TV and some movies as well as play music. I am just looking for a good sound while doing that, nothing too earth shattering yet.

Possibly when I finish my basement I will make a true theater room and get really Gigantor speakers like the rest of you guys, lol For now we would like the clean hidden look with not much laying around the family room for the baby to get into, but also enjoy good sounds. I know the system itself sounds pretty decent because my uncle has almost the same set up and I did like it. I just need to get familiar with all the different set ups and was looking for some opinions (which I got, thanks)

So, basically an 18' x 14' family room with 1 main wall to mount the TV on and 2 large openings (1 to the kitchen and 1 to the living room) 2 windows on a side wall. I hope to have all wires and components hidden behid the walls and or in a cabinet. 2 couches and a curious 1 year old wandering around...

:)

I wasn't going to mention this because it is not offered by Klipsch, at least I don't think so.

I have a friend who runs a HT company and their biggest selling HT speakers at the moment are in-walls that you can paint over. You can't see them AT ALL! They sound pretty darn good too. Not Klipsch Heritage or Reference good but good nonetheless and better than putting something in your ceiling IMO.

Just something you might want to consider (sorry Klipsch).