Cornwall III vs Heresy III, help me pick.

russ69

OK guys,

I'm looking for new speakers and need some help. In my second system (the one I use the most) I have currently have a pair of RF-25's run by either a little Jolida 102B or with a pair of Quicksilver Mini-Monos. The Heresy III fits my room a little better but I don't want to give up too much. I have a good sub to help fill in the bottom. I'm thinking that if the Heresy is good enough for use with a Klipschorn that it will be good choice for me. What will I be missing when compared to the Cornwall III's? What does the Cornwall do that the Heresy can't?

Thanx, Russ

as stand alones though, I wouldn't pay the brand new price difference between the two...the Heresy IIIs are that good (I thought) and the Cornwall IIIs really get more but about three times the price...but it is true that the Cornwall III will have a larger soundstage or presence...if you can, give 'em both a listen...

Bill

I really trust you guys more than a demo, you guys have lived with this stuff. I have a good set of ears but demos really don't do it for me. If the demo sucks you wonder if the equipment is up to snuff and if it's great, you wonder how much tweeking they did to get them to work.

Keep the input coming, it's very valuable.

My take is... I like my Heresy IIs over the Cornwall IIIs I heard at the Pilgrimage in 2007. I get great bass from my HIIs, but balanced. I thought the Cornwall IIIs were boomy in the bottom end. I want to upgrade to H IIIs. 2 cents and 2 cents only.

Bruce

Its going to largly room dependent and a matter of personal taste, but the Cornwalls provide more bass, a fuller sound. I think with the wrong over driven amp they sound muddy. I prefer when a speaker's tweeter is close to my ear at sitting height, with out stands you're not gonna get that with Heresys and when they are on stands you will loose more bass.

• 3 years later...

I agree regarding the stands. For a Heresy an 18 inch four post stand looks and works really well. Take a look at some excellent looking stands designed by Noel Nolan of Skylan Stands. Those who want to diy could glean much from Noel`s great sense of scale. Take a look at Noel`s Euro site, but be aware the stands are designed and built in Alberta Canada. Best regards Moray James.

http://www.skylan-stands.com/

how much do older cornwalls usually go for in good condition? as in clean veneer and speakers that operate as they should

cause i spoke with the seller of this pair and he said theyre clean and sound great. hes asking $700

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/ele/2687488521.html

i want to know if thats a good price for these, or if i should wait for a better price.

While Heresy on a stand with subs are very good they still won`t quite catch the Cornwall as far as efficiency goes so the Cornwall will have the edge as far as dynamics go this due to the fifteen inch woofer. New cornwall lll`s are retailing for about $4,000.00 the pair plus shipping.Best regards Moray James.

i mean. i can afford both, but if the price is too high for what it is, i wouldnt mind waiting. but if that price is right, $700, i'd get it.

oh i emailed the seller of the heresy's and they must have sold the speakers cause the ad isnt on craigslist any more. so its either the cornwalls, or the cornwalls :P or no cornwalls.

you might also consider some other speakers. KLF 20 or 30 and there are also the CF3 or CF4 any of these speakers will go considerably lower than a Cornwall. The KLF30 and the CF4 will also push more air than a Cornwall as they are dual twelve inch woofer systems. None of these speakers are quite as efficient as a Cornwall but they are close and they are more efficient than a Heresy. A Chorus ll is the same fifteen inch woofer as a Cornwall in a more domestic cabinet and it is tuned lower than a Cornwall so a little less efficient but close. The KLF and the CF series are tower cabinet designs and they place the horns at a better level than the Cornwall cabinet does. The Chorus ll positions the horns about the same height as in the Cornwall.

Which speaker I would choose or someone else would choose is of no importance. Only you can decide which you will like. So you are going to have to get into the car and do some driving to get some listening time under your belt first or you are not going to be 100% pleased with your purchase. Don`t worry about the price right now worry about finding out what you like and what you want then you can look for deals. All of the speakers I have mentioned are excellent but they are each a little different, they were designed that way. There are no best speakers out there only best for you and your situation. Probably not what you wanted to hear but practical.

Another option for you would be to buy a beater set of what ever takes your fancy and just listen. Keep in mind old caps and diaphragms will only give you a good idea of the sound but good enough to learn. Pick another different set on the cheap and compare. This will take you longer and cost you a little more but you should be able to re sell for most if not all of your purchase price when you are done listening. They you can either buy a new set of your first choice or get a good used version or you can rebuild the beaters from the ground up if you want to. The experience of doing this will be invaluable but it will take time effort and money. Fifty forum members will give you fifty different opinions each valid but probably not to you. So there you go. This is exactly what I did starting over a year ago and I am still not done but I have learned a lot and enjoyed myself while learning about Klipsch first hand. What ever you decide to do make it your decission. Hope this helps. Best regards Moray James.

...None of these speakers are quite as efficient as a Cornwall...

Actually, the KLF-30 is 102 db; the same as the Cornwall, but can handle twice the RMS power. Moreover, it's dual 12" has approximately 23% more woofer area as you stated. The rear firing port could be a blessing or a curse depending on speaker placement.

The KLF-30 is discontinued, though. What's more, I have no idea what the comparison in real sound is of the two. I just wanted to point out those facts since it was brought up. Personally, I like the Cornwalls, but I have never heard a Corn 3.

I have not owned a KLF30 but it is my understanding from takling with forum members who have that the given efficienct numbers donn`t seem to be as accurate as one would expect and that more power is required to make them play as loud a say aHeritage of similar efficiency. It is worth mentioning. So with the CF series in particular they will require a little more horse power. Best regards Moray James.

I have owned both... I would be happy with either if I could only have one or the other.

if I had a choice, it would be the CW's. there just seems to be a liveliness to them that the KLF lacked... not lack of definition or resolution, just some warmth or ease of listening on my ears... smoothness.

The KLF do use the poly tweeter diaphragm so you need to take that into consideration. I have two sets of KLF 20 both with Ti mid and tweeter diaphragms and I can say it is not a small difference. I have also heard comments that the klf`s don`t seem to be as efficient as the numbers suggest either though this to a lesser degree compared to the Epic series. That was why I mentioned it. The Cornwall`s are very efficient and you can get buy with a smaller amp. With any of the speakers that I mentioned you are going to need to use an amp on the larger side to play some catch up. Even if you swapped out the poly tweeters in the KLF for a phenolic set you would notice a significant improvement in detail and in smoothness. I think that a good number of Klipsch owners figured that the KLF and Epic series just did not deliver all that was promissed but if you give them what they need which is at least a hundred solid watts or more they can rock the house. Don`t over look them. Well worth an audition. They will reward any owner who cares for them and feeds them as required. Best regards Moray James.