Subs with La Scala's: What Do YOU Use?

jdm56

I've been pleased with the performance of the Cambridge Soundworks P1000. It is fast and made the LaScalas sound world class. It has twin 10" drivers with a 1000 watt internal amp. One feature I really liked was that the control unit was independent of the sub and could be placed on a chair side table for dialing it in without having to get down on the knees in the corner. IR remote as well. A champ in my book.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...leaning real hard towards dual AV123 MFW-15's. the economy has me spooked though. would it be less than prudent to "blow" $1400 on a pair of killer subs right now?Devil

Then let me say a little more about the Conquest. After living with it for some time now I wouldn't suggest any less of a sub to go with Klipschorns or LaScalas. This will also depend on your room size. My room is about 17' x 50' and is open to a 16' x 20' room that can be closed off by flimsy double doors that I usually leave open. Normal listening for me is between 88 and 94 db on the Rat Shack meter. I can now enyoy listening at around the 85 db level, because the Conquest will fill the room on the low end. Before nothing under 94db would please me. I still prefer levels at around 94 db. When I'm into something that I like the listening level goes up to 104db. The Sunfire could keep up in volume up to 94, then it would't go any louder. The Conquest will allow me to listen to levels up to 110 db in my room. This is around the level where the Klipschorns will keep going, but the Conquest won't. So, I could use another one if I want more head room. My McIntosh amp meters read around a steady 1 watt per channel ( I have 10 channels ), at 88 db. When at 94 db the meters show a steady 2 to 5 watts. To get to 104db. I have to feed the Klipschorns a steady 20 watts. At 107 to 110 db, which is too loud to listen to for long, the Conquest won't increase in volume, but the Klipschorns will.

Thing is, I'm kindy odd (in case you hadn't noticed that already) and I really need two subs. It has less to do with performance than it does my own particuliar oddness. I like visual balance in the front of the room. (I know, I should seek psychiatric intervention.) Then, when you figure my room is only 15' wide and I already have the LSII's in there, the amount of real estate left for subs is limited. A pair of 18" wide subs is about all I can accomodate without crowding the speakers too close together. The Velodyne DLS4000R's I'm using now are only about 15" wide, but I'd like a little more oomph. Which puts me back to a pair of AV123 MFW-15's, Velodyne DLS-5000R's or Epik Knights. The Epiks are still almost too big at 27" deep w/grilles. I'd prefer not to have the subs deeper than the LSII's. So that leaves the Velo's and the AV123's. The Velodynes have good output between 30 and 60 Hz, but don't do much below 30Hz. The MFW-15's seem to do it all well, yet they're not too big or too costly. Now, if the economy would only "straighten up and fly right"![:(]

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have an opinion or experience with the EAW SB-184C 18" Sub Woofer ? Its a theatre subwoofer and kinda large. Too large for a home setup?

http://www.eaw.com/info/EAW/Loudspeaker_Product_Info/Current_loudspeakers/SB184C/SB184C_SPECS_rev1.pdf

There is one in the area for sale. I would be using it with my LaScallas.

Thanks,

Wrinkles

Thing is, I'm kindy odd (in case you hadn't noticed that already) and I really need two subs. It has less to do with performance than it does my own particuliar oddness. I like visual balance in the front of the room. (I know, I should seek psychiatric intervention.)

Using visual balance as a method for sub placement (ESPECIALLY WITH 2 SUBS) could absolutely spell disaster from a performance standpoint. Typically you end up trying to balance asthetics with performance.

Cambridge SoundWorks or M&K have little extension,low output to be of much help for large Klipsch Heritage speakers.

It is funny people with HUGE mains have no space for a matching sub or a four pack of subs capable of keeping up to 124dB @ 20hz @ listening position.Large Klipsch mains deserve much better than a tiny sub. It only looks funny,like matching wheels from a Toyota Tercel on a Porsche 911 Turbo.

Read my signature again people...I FLIP WHEN I HEAR A SYSTEM .... LACKING BASS.

Yes I know I am crazy. [:o]

Using visual balance as a method for sub placement (ESPECIALLY WITH 2 SUBS) could absolutely spell disaster from a performance standpoint. Typically you end up trying to balance asthetics with performance.

Not necessarily. Depends on the room in question. In a symmetrical room, if one particular postion is good for a sub, then it's mirror opposite is equally good. That's been my experience, anyway.

It is funny people with HUGE mains have no space for a matching sub or a four pack of subs capable of keeping up to 124dB @ 20hz @ listening position.Large Klipsch mains deserve much better than a tiny sub. It only looks funny,like matching wheels from a Toyota Tercel on a Porsche 911 Turbo.

OTOH, if you don't have the real estate, you just don't have the real estate. You have to maintain a certain degree of separation between the speakers relative to the listening position in order to maintain good imaging. And that leaves you with x amount of space between speakers and side wall. Period. And I don't like everything to be crammed together too much. I like a little space between objects. (I know - "more weirdness") Besides, I don't think it's absolutely necessary that subs have the same output capability as LS2's. I mean sure, it would be nice to have, but I don't listen at 124dB anyway. And anybody who does is nearly deaf or soon will be.

THX Ultra 2 sub system

adding soon: pr. 18' pro woofers in a 64 cubic ft. cabinet driven with a KA-1000-THX sub amp.

Now that may be what we have been asking for, for a long time now. You came close with the 12 " KW-120 THX sub pair, but no cigar. Not for the Heritage line anyway.

I'm glad that your skipping over 15" drivers, like I thought would be your next move, and going right to 18" drivers. The 18's should fill in the bottom end that the KW-120 is missing.

• 2 weeks later...

Trey Cannon wrote the following post at Fri, Oct 24 2008 11:19 AM:

THX Ultra 2 sub system

adding soon: pr. 18' pro woofers in a 64 cubic ft. cabinet driven with a KA-1000-THX sub amp.

All corner loaded.

Show off!

I wonder if Trey REALLY knows how big 64 cubic feet is. Here's a tiny 34 cubic footer.

post-15193-13819426760548_thumb.jpg

I am sure Trey does..

Trey has an area behind where his screen will go. So I did the same thing...(so I copied him, truth be told..)

I have almost 4 feet behind my front screen in my HT room of empty space just in case I ever wanted to do anything like that. (So if I get a new pair of speakers of almost any size... Yep, they will fit..) Most of the HT books I also read preached this as well.

I am sure Trey does..

Trey has an area behind where his screen will go. So I did the same thing...(so I copied him, truth be told..)

I have almost 4 feet behind my front screen in my HT room of empty space just in case I ever wanted to do anything like that. (So if I get a new pair of speakers of almost any size... Yep, they will fit..) Most of the HT books I also read preached this as well.

Sounds like a good spot for an IB!