My Wife Called Me an Old Foggie [:(]

fenderbender

I just scored a original Mint- Mono "Hello Dolly" by who else ..Sachmo......

I'm grooving...I can't get enough...I got the Klipschorns singing so they can here the next town over!!!!!

I ask my wife " isn't this awesome?" .....I knew not to ask....I never learn...I'm a glutton for punishment.

She called me an old Foggie!!!!

I'm only 46, and I know I was only two when this album was recorded.....but it's awesome, Big Chief Russell Moore lay's down some of the best trombone I have ever heard in the album........

Well I married her!!!!

I'll bet she's in the kitchen tappin' her toe right along, just groovin' to Satchmo! wonder if I could find that on CD... (of course, I'm 51, so I'm allowed.)

My wife reacts along those same lines when she catches me listening to Henry Mancini. Then just to confuse her, I'll slap on some Hank Williams![:D]

Age is irrelevant to music. I suppose I am a fossil since I like Hildegaard von Bingen, 11th century? Good music, well performed, well recorded. Anybody who thinks all "good" music was produced in the past 5 years needs serious attention or observation.

See my signature, and share it with your wife. Explain to her who Duke Ellington is (I don't say "was" about Bach either) if necessary.

Dave

I'm pushing 60 real hard and one of my GFs has got into audio. She originally made fun of my music and called me an old a..hole or dinosaur etc at times.

She would listen to the rap and hip-hop stuff and it would drive me insane what she calls music. I refused to let her music play on my system. (sounding a lot like my dad as I get older)

Lately I've noticed she's listening to a lot of the music I listen to. I've even noticed she's searching the web for a lot of the music I like for her own collection.

Her little CD boombox ended up being non-acceptable for her after listening to my systems and she's had me help put her a system together.

Now she's not an experienced "audiophile" but she's got a pretty good system I helped put together for her. I gave her the auditions for different gear and here's what she's chosen for her system.

Altec Santana II, Dynaco ST-70, Dynaco Pas-2 (courtesy of Josnich), Denon DCM-777, Nakamichi BX-125, and Technics SL-D2 with AT12s. Not bad. She picked all this out herself with numerous listening sessions. It took her over a month of auditioning all the different gear. Yes, and she's constantly upgrading. Funny, she burnt her forearm on the ST-70 when I had it set up here and I thought she'd leave my gear alone but she loved the sound of the tubes and she bought it. She does leave the cage on now though.

She's making comments now about the quality of her cd's and complaining about not liking the recording quality of most of her discs. You can't take her to the Goodwill or garage sales as she will spend a lot of time going through vinyl with a magnifying glass.

She's even got her friends listening to her system and a lot of the older rock, blues and jazz now. They're all getting into better systems and their music choices are changing a lot. She's even bringing them over to listen to certain music selections at my place. It's actually getting to be a nuisance at times.

Instead of the "thumping" thuds of subwoofers in their Honda Civics and Low Rider S-10's blowing you out when they pull in the drive I'm hearing Robert Cray, Clapton, Etta James, etc now. (If you haven't summised by now she's considerable younger)

Fenderbender, let your wife call you an old Foggie. I'm betting the "good stuff" will rub off and the comments will cease as her introduction to different music is played.

I no longer hear the "comments" about my listening preferences but I do hear "who's that", "man that guy can play guitar", or the dreaded "can I borrow that album" (always answered with a resolute "NO" of course)

Sometimes music will bridge the gaps and give you more in common.

Harry

Age is irrelevant to music.  I suppose I am a fossil since I like Hildegaard von Bingen, 11th century?  Good music, well performed, well recorded.  Anybody who thinks all "good" music was produced in the past 5 years needs serious attention or observation.

See my signature, and share it with your wife.  Explain to her who Duke Ellington is (I don't say "was" about Bach either) if necessary.

Dave

The problem is she is well aware of the "Duke"......She was Director of sales for the largest music dist. in Canada with over 1000 outlets, worked her way up the ranks for 20 years and has been over exposed to just about genre there is.

I mention a particular artist or genre and she will dead pan quote stats like "Perry Como, he sells to Caucasian men 50 to 65, middle income, divorced."

This morning I'm spinning some "ole blue eye's just to get her goat.... have Louis Prima on deck....or maybe Julie london?

Glad to see you posting again Dave.....and some normalcy returning post Ike.

....She was Director of sales for the largest music dist. in Canada
with over 1000 outlets, worked her way up the ranks for 20 years and
has been over exposed to just about genre there is.

Ah, I understand. Too much champagne can make a beer lover out of you. I think she's just over exposed.

HarryO: Excellent training story! After that much work, you should keep her...plus, you get a second system!

Dave

PS - (And NO COMPARISONS IMPLIED!) What was that old quote? Something like "You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think."