Best bang for the buck turntable??

askbob1

Look into a Technics SL-1200 (or SL-1210 if you prefer black instead of silver). You can get a used MK2 or a new MK3 or MK5, all for under $500, maybe as low as $200. Good sound and very reliable. My 1978 SL-1400MK2 still works and sounds fine.

Kenwood KD500 (heavy mother from the 80's) comes with ability to stick in different arms. Get a good arm and you are laughing. Put some 1/2 cut squash ( I think you call them racket balls) under each leg and you have a $400 turnable with arm that anything under $1,000 would be hard to beat.

Good luck

I have a heavily modified AR ES1 for sale. I have over $1,800 hundred in it. It sounds almost as good as the Thorens that replaced it. I think the sound of these suspension tables rivals tables in the $3,000 range. The bluenote tone arm is an elegant design that sounds great. I would keep the tone arm but the upgraded armboard is already drilled for it so I will let it go. I tried a rega rb300 on the table with a MDF armboard and the bluenote sounded better. See my previous post at: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/108759.aspx

very nice equipment indeed! i don't think i'll be listening that intently to vinyl, just on occassion. everyone seems to give a thumbs up to the technics. how about the old school hard to find jvc's? harry has a super nice one that i don't think i can refuse. also, what should i expect sound quality wise as compared to digital? it seems all the old vinyl i played as a kid had a warmer, or be it fuller sound?

Yes I got back into it with the same intention. I thought I would get a basic AR and listen to my old collection of LPs. Then the old collection rivaled the sound of my HDCD player. I put lots of money into AR upgrades and it sounded alot better. I upgraded my phono pre amp...way better. Upgraded to the Thorens and it improved a little more. I now listen to LPs 80% of the time. The other 20% is when I want to listen with the dogs around. Dog tails and low lying turntables do not get along.

Another option would be a Thorens TD165 or similar. I had one a few years ago before I went totally nuts with vinyl. You can get a nice one for about $100, add a shure M97E or an inexpensive Grado for under $100 and you have a very respectable setup. I'm not a fan of the DD Technics. I owned an SL1800 for 25 years and was blown away by how much better the suspended Thorens sounded. Many will disagree but that was my experience.

BTW - I now listen to vinyl about 99.99999999999% of the time. I bought a very nice Eastern Electric MiniMax tube CD player recently (best CD player I've ever owned by far) and I haven't turned it on in about 6 weeks since I got my TD124/SME3009/Zu Modded DL103R set up in the same system.

Good luck!

P.S. Buy a few good quality records!!

Guest David H

I second the Debut 3, but do not agree with the USB version as it uses proprietary phono section. I purchased this table a few months ago and it is a great low $ TT... However the cartridge it come with is less than good, I much prefer the Sure M97xe although it requires the larger counter weight.

• 8 months later...

I figured I would dig up this old thread and update instead of starting over... When work picked up, I lost interest in getting into vinyl. Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I replaced the belt on my old jvc and bought a couple of new albums. I figured it would be something to play with in the garage system which uses an older pioneer sx receiver. I have to say, maybe I really forgot how good an lp could sound, but wow! The bug has bit on wanting to hear a good to great turtable on my main system. I am a little torn between buying an older vintage table, and a new one such as a rega, or similar. A few of the older tables I have looked at are: pioneer pl-530, thorens, b&o, technics, and others. I suppose I am looking for a comparison of a few different models.

Garymd, how would you describe the sound of your turntable setup over your cd's? What types of music do you listen to?

It takes a fairly decent TT to match even an el-cheapo CD player (for good bass and low rumble). A good used Thorens would be the minimum standard for my ear. I think some of the lower priced modern tables might be a better choice. Like this Music Hall: http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MHMMF2%2E2 There are lots of choices but none of the older big name Japanese tables are very good. TT's can be very good but it takes a good one to beat a modest CD player.

Thanx, Russ

Guest David H

I like these - http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject-Debut-III-Turntable-Multicolor_5?sc=7&category=947

For about 100 bucks more you can get a USB version for ripping vinyl w/o an analog to digital converter.

I agree the Project Debut III is a great turntable, for the $$$. I would steer clear of the USB Version, and go with a good phono stage. for the $$$ the Nad PP2 is among the best.