Original Heresy

wsu99999

I just picked up a single Heresy and I'm running it as a center channel between my LaScalas. The sound from the Heresy sounds like crap. For some reason, the sound just sounds dead. Like the speakers are mounted inside of the box and echoy (if that's a word). Basically, the voices are tinny and all around sub par in compairision to the LaScalas. When I had a RC-62, it did a much better job.

I have checked all 3 drivers and they all work and none sound blown. The Heresy has an e-2 crossover. Does anyone have any ideas of things I could do to get this fixed? I've heard that heresy's mate well with LS. This one definately doesn't and I'm not the pickiest person in the world - something is clearly wrong.

Thanks!

wsu99999,

While I can't speak to if your individual Heresy has a problem or not, I will say that at 104db/1watt/1meter, that the Lascals are putting out almost 3 times the accoustic sound pressure, that sounds to the human ear as almost twice as loud. One Heresey at 96 db/1 watt/1 meter would only increase to 99db with a pair of Hereseys!! You would have to back the crap out of your front left and right speakers.

I loved the articulation of my Quartets, and even though more sensitive than Hereseys at 97.5 dg/1 watt/ 1 meter, you couldn't even tell they were playing in a small to medium sized room when the K-Horns were running.

I would advise to bite the bullet and buy a single LaScala. It will be all smiles from there!!

Roger

I'm with Budman on this.

The Heresy should not sound THAT bad. I'm thinking there is something oddball going on with the HT system which is compromising the center channel. The "echo" comment is a bit of a red flag.

Again, does it sound bad when fed with just a simple mono signal?

I'd check whatever settings there are on the receiver. Also calibrate levels to the extent possible. Is there a setting for distance?

Wm McD

If it's a Heresy-I, check and make sure that it's in phase (positive to positive, etc.). Pull the back and make sure that the drivers are hooked up "in phase". If it's a Heresy-II.... remove the woofer, unclip the leads, and make sure that the other leads from the crossover are hooked up to the correct terminals (as in chech and make sure they are in phase). I'm getting ready to strip and refinish a pair of H-II's for another Forum member. When he dropped them off, they sounded like "crap"... same symptoms described.... I discovered that a previous owner (not the Forum member) had broken the terminals on one cup and had "soldered" lead wires on the outside of the cup. At first appearance, looked ok for the moment..., but when I pulled the terminal cups, they had reversed the wires to the actual crossover on one of them. swapped wires and they sounded like they were supposed to. Just a thought. Yah never know. Also WFGM has an excellent suggestion. If it's an AVR amp, make sure it's connected to "center" channel. If so, check the "center" level and adjust accordingly. If it's a 2 channel amp, see if you can set it for "mono", or "L+R", so the full "program" is going to that speaker. Also on 2 channel amps, running a left or right speaker by itself is generally not good for the amp. Hope that is of some assistance.

I'm sure your caps are out of spec. You should have heard my H-700 when I got it! However, to make the Heresy sound as much like your La Scalas as possible you need to remake the crossover so it is similar to the Type AAs in your La Scalas. I have done this and the results are good, if not perfect.

First, you need to drop the level of the squawker and tweeter to make the speaker less bright. The attached schematic will help.

EModR1

Then, you want to substitute the Type AA tweeter filter for the 2 uF tweeter high-pass in my modified Type E.

Typ AA

Finally, you will want to change the squawker to a K-55-V, like your La Scalas.

post-2142-13819417736338_thumb.jpg

Does the type material stashed in the speaker impact the sound or is it just when you take it out and consume it?

the prior owner (evidently he was on meth and liked to tinker with things) Could have hooked up something wrong.

Have a reliable witness on hand when you open that cabinet...... Oh My Gawd!!! Officer!!! I swear this stuff is not mine!!! Just kidding!!!! Stick out tongueSurpriseWink