What display are you using?

Youthman

David -

The Kuro I have is the newest model. I've had the original 1080p Plasma, the Elite Pro-FHD1, since it came out almost three years ago.

What's the model # of the Kuro you are considering?

bigfalcon-

Thanks for the reply. The model that I am looking at is the Elite Pro-FHD1, same as yours. The new model number is Pro-111HD. Price on the FHD1 is the $2500 I quoted above (open-box) the new model is $4000.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm.. thats a tough one. The Kuro is definitely better picture than the Elite Pro... but its subtle. It's not like the Panny which I could throw up from looking at now - the Elite Pro is still dazzling, and I'll still use and enjoy it for years to come. The Kuro has better black levels, and it makes everything seem a bit richer and clearer and truer. But if money's tight and that Elite Pro is functioning perfectly, you can't go wrong with it. Maybe try to talk them down to $2k - they are desperate to get rid of it!

BB doesn't know how to setup their TVs - at least in my area. They all look like crap except for the 2 they have hooked up to hdmi. The rest are all coax connections.

Same here but in the local magnolia room they are all set up with hdmi . The newest 58" Pany Viera is set up on it's stand on a table and the new 60" Kuro is on the wall up higher . So what I am seeing is a diagonal side by side . I would ask the salseman there how they have the picture modes set up for a fair comparison but I think their heads might explode . "Not the brightest of salsemen here ."

I won't be buying either set from BB , I will be going the Amazon route when I do pull the trigger .

The Elite can really look like nothing to justify its price unless its set up to do what it can do. When I got that first Elite 1080p plasma, I was distressed at first, and thought it was defective, or that I had gotten suckered into paying for a brand name. Once I figured out how to open up the magic, it hasn't ceased to amaze me in 3 years. For something used so much, can't even put a price on the enjoyment my family and I have gotten out of it. One thing I noticed (and don't like) about the Panny is that it doesn't give you anywhere near the tweakability. All things being equal, the Panny will be close to what you see in the store when you take it home - not necessarily the case with the Elite.

I had my heart set on a 50” plasma (most likely Panasonic). In the course of doing the “homework” and shopping I ultimately decided on a something completely different ~ a 61” Samsung LED/DLP rear projection unit. I’m glad I did and I’m not looking back.

1. I wasn’t aware of LED light engines in DLP displays until I did my homework. The cost of lamp replacement every few years in conventional DLP is eliminated with LED. So is the associated heat and required cooling fan (noise). And so is the colorwheel (more noise) and the so-called “rainbow” artifacts it produces.

2. The picture is virtually glare and reflection free.

3. Unless you really must have a wall mounted screen for some reason (I thought I did but soon realized the point is moot) the depth of these units is no longer an issue, its about the same as most shelves and cabinets.

4. The blacks are as good or better as anything I’ve seen including the Pioneer KURO, and the color range and saturation are superior as well.

5. There are absolutely no brightness issues. Last week we watched the Bears game with all the window curtains open. The room is on the west side of the house and most of the windows are western exposure as well. Direct afternoon sunlight was shining into the room. The picture was still perfect and could be enjoyed even from very wide angles.

BTW, the particular unit I bought was the “discontinued” display model ~ $1033. [:D]

Bigcitfalcon,

Which Panny model do you have? What kind of tweability that you needed to calibrate these at home? I calibrated mine with both S&V and DVE discs just fine, well at least without any expesive pro. equipments anyway.

I am curios, as IIRC, the 2006 Panny Vierras seem to have the blackest black of all plasma models based on HDTV expert reviews. While I agree that the Pioneer plasmas have had better PQ, the Panny ones are not that far behind :)

Wow, artto, sounds like a fantastic buy! What is the model number of the unit you purchased?

I'm pretty sure it's a HLT6187S. I've read some complaints about a "hot spot" but I have yet to see it. The hot spot thing seems to possibly be more on the smaller screen sizes (which they're not making at the moment). I believe the original MSRP was $2900. It's a second generation LED/DLP. The newer ones are supposedly even better (6 color LED vs RBG) and longer life. The HLT6187 LED is rated for 60,000 hours, the newer ones 100,000.

Bigcitfalcon,

Which Panny model do you have? What kind of tweability that you needed to calibrate these at home? I calibrated mine with both S&V and DVE discs just fine, well at least without any expesive pro. equipments anyway.

I am curios, as IIRC, the 2006 Panny Vierras seem to have the blackest black of all plasma models based on HDTV expert reviews. While I agree that the Pioneer plasmas have had better PQ, the Panny ones are not that far behind :)

I have the Panny TH-500PZ800U (also a TH-50PX600U). You should be fine calibrating these by disk. I tried calibrating the Vierra by disk, eye, even had a pro come over with a laptop and funky equipment. Nothing really changed it that much, whereas the Kuros absolutely came to life when it was calibrated correctly. You won't get near the best results calibrating the Kuros by disk (unless its specifically for the Kuros) or any set standards.

I hate to make someone regret their purchase or pine for a screen they can't afford, but whatever paper specs or reviews say, the Kuros just looks better. There's like a whole other thing happening with it beyond paper specs and beyond any other display - the colors are more true and vibrant, but above all the details are sharper and clearer and its just smoother and more balanced. The key word is perfect. Everything is always so smooth and perfect down to the tiniest detail on the Kuros - imperfections can be seen on the Panny (or any other screen) in color, sharpness, and detail.

By the way, I'm in sales at Pioneer. (Just kidding!!)

• Moderators

The Kuro Pro-110FD got rave reviews from Home Theater Mag.

Why We Like It:
This KURO plasma is so superior that the flat panel competition isn't even comparable. The blacks and contrast set the standard. The resolution (especially over HDMI) was exceptional, the colors were remarkably accurate, and the video processing first rate. This set isn't just good, it might be the greatest flat panel yet.

Read full review here. If I had $6000.00 I'd probably buy it. :)

You really should go with the Panasonic professional model, it has the most tweakability, with more adjustments and options than any other plasma display. It produces Panasonics very best picture quality and the most realistic, life like picture. The Panasonic pro models are the best choice for a home theater.

Here is a (very long) thread which features many screen shots with some great photos demonstrating some of the picture quality of Panasonic professional model displays. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=733641

• Moderators

Last night, I went online to get the dimensions of the 50" Panny. I took painters tape and marked it on the front wall of the theater room to give me an idea of what it would be like (see below). [:(] As soon as I put it up, I realized that it probably would not be the best route for the theater room. There is a big part of me that is saying, "Hold on, save up and just go with the projection". I was trying to get something up and running but now that I can visualize it, I'm thinking scratch the plasma, and begin saving for the projection. A 1080p projector is going to run me at least $2500. I have $2000 saved up now so I'm really not that far from it. Of course I have the cost of the screen (maybe $500) and some sort of Blu-Ray player ($400). So to get me up and running with a projection would be at least another $1500.00. Then I would have a 90" to 110" screen, a 3.1 setup and no couch to sit on. LOL. It's a slow process but I really think it will be well worth it if I just remain patient and wait to get what I really want. The room is 13' W x 19' 4" L x 10' H. Any thoughts?

theater_room_01.jpg

Well for one I think your layout is all wrong for a plasma. You would be better with the display mounted lower, and the speakers slightly closer together and with more toe in. The subwoofer would work well in one of the corners.

Of coarse if it is size you want, you can always go with the new 150 inch Panasonic professional model [*-)]

Looking at your picture with the tape on the wall, you can visualize why I have basically quit watching my TV in the theater room. My room is 17 X 27 X 9 and a 61" TV does not fill it up like a 96" PJ screen. Prices on projectors are falling fast. If you wait until after the holiday rush, you may find some really good deals. There are a lot of new models being released for the holidays and I think some very good projectors will have big price cuts.

Good Luck in your search,