The $500 Klipschorn Saga....

Groomlakearea51

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a brilliant, loving rebuild. Love the improvements you made along the way. The Pro Logo looks sharp with the black also.

You are truly a Professional Klipsch Master Craftsman Marshall! I know of all the studies you've done of machinery and techniques and your worksmanship is impeccable.

Run the Voodoo down!

Michael

One question:

Originally you mentioned that they were working when you tested them out. I'm curious why you then replaced ALL the drivers, horns, and crossovers? To me that seems to take the original classic PWK perfected sound out of the speaker. I guess to me it just takes the sport out of it. I can't imagine why swapping aftermarket parts in it would make an improvement? What do you plan to do with the old ones? There are plenty of people still using the original components for a long time, as my 1981 Cornwalls can attest to. I've never even recapped them because they sound fantastic as they are, and am afraid of them sounding bad if I pick the wrong caps, etc. I'm just one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kinda guys I guess...

Just curious...

-Jon

One question: Originally you mentioned that they were working when you tested them out. I'm curious why you then replaced ALL the drivers, horns, and crossovers?

Good question.

The woofers are original for that year Klipschorn. The originals that were in there are in use in a pair of 1978 LaScala's that needed a new woofer; and since I replace things in "pairs".... I had this pair that were in mint condition and had always planned to use them in some application. Thus.

The original K-55's were "push-pin", and while they were ok, etc. I wanted to use a new pair, thus brand new but not "aftermarket". The K-55 is an Atlas PD5H and is still produced to this day. Bob Crites has good prices, so I obtained a pair from him, and they are very nice (and now I'm thinking about new diaphragms in my other K-55's!!!).... The originals? I used them in a pair of Heresy-I's that I rebuilt last year.

The originals K-401 vs the K400? Exact same in terms of what it does, but lighter weight and resonance is either eliminated, or less. Also, I like the 401... Klipsch started using the K-401 in the mid-80s in the K'horns, so that's pretty much a "factory upgrade". The originals? Traded them to someone for something else I needed.

The A/9500? Okay... I have three pairs of K'horns (including these). So...

• On my original 1979 pair I have the original AA's, but recapped by BEC as A/AA's because the old Aerovox caps were really dried out. Of the two possible configurations, I happen to like the "A". Just sounds better for my ears, and lower volumes. Just my opinion though...
  • On the 87 Rosewoods, I have AK-3's also by BEC. Reason, the originals were AK's, the caps dried out, etc. and I could really tell the difference. The original AK's were not considered to be the best crossover and Klipsch changed them during the 80's and 90's until the latest AK5's which are supposed to be very, very good.
  • So why the A/4500. Well... I had listened to the A/4500 at Bob's shop, and I really like the crossover point at 4500, because I like that particular mid/high mid. The K-77 is a great tweeter, but does not have the extended range for that crossover. So... Bob's CT-125's which are ideal match for the A/4500. The A/4500 is simply a type A, but tapped and capped for that crossover point. The original K-77's? Spares in case I need to swap out a K-77 that does not sound right, etc.

I have a spare pair of AK3's, A/AA's, in case I change my mind, or want to play around with them in this pair in the man cave.

The issue with caps is that the old ones generally dry out, especially the old Aerovox silver cans. I have one pair of type E's for Heresy-I's left that are in perfect condition (why I don't know....). but over the last few years have pretty much replaced the caps in all of the classic Heritage speakers, including the Cornwalls.

It was not an "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" issue, it's more of a "tune-up"..... and I like to experiment with the different configurations and see what sounds best to my ears, etc.

Hope that answers the question.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...